Sumo upset tummy

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hi everyone,

Sumo's tummy has been acting up. yesterday morning i took her out and she is acting totally normal. Sorry to be descriptive, but she started to poo and it was normal and looked ok and then it turned to diarhea pretty fast. Normally if she gets diarhea its soft and just sort of slidess out, but this time it was shooting out of her! It looked like a fountain. I coudnt believe it. The same thing happened last night, and this morning too.

besides that, everything else is normal. I started to get her eating some rice, and my vet told me about using metamucil for upset tummys also. I just wanted to come on here and find out if anyone else has had this "powerful" diarhea experience with their bullies before?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Metamucil is a fiber based laxative. He really suggested you give her that? I would try the pumpkin first.

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Metamucil is a fiber based laxative. He really suggested you give her that? I would try the pumpkin first.

i know! i thought it sounded weird as well. But she told me that it actually works both ways. If your constipated it helps as a laxative and if she's got diarhea it would help make it a bit more solid.

i'm afraid to go back to pumpkin because i think it made it worse last time i tried.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I've never heard of that. I use slippery elm bark when Abby has tummy troubles like that. Hopefully someone else has some suggestions on the Metamucil. I'd call the doctor if it doesn't stop soon. Try to keep her hydrated too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know the pumpkin works both ways. I guess Metamucil could too but honestly I've never heard of that. I am surprised Sumo had problems with the pumpkin! That's unfortunate because it really is a good fall back thing. Maybe try the bland diet for a few days...slowly working in the regular food again. Is there any chance Sumo could've swallowed something? Often if they have you will see it in how their :poo: is. Any barfing?

What food is Sumo on?

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I know the pumpkin works both ways. I guess Metamucil could too but honestly I've never heard of that. I am surprised Sumo had problems with the pumpkin! That's unfortunate because it really is a good fall back thing. Maybe try the bland diet for a few days...slowly working in the regular food again. Is there any chance Sumo could've swallowed something? Often if they have you will see it in how their :poo: is. Any barfing?

What food is Sumo on?

No barfing. Sumo is on Acana (the pacifica one) she hasn't had any issues with her poo since shes been on it. everything has been good and solid. It just started yesterday. Maybe i will try the pumpkin again and see how that goes. Theres a chance she could have swallowed something, i was away on vacation this wknd and my sister was watching Sumo, but i havent seen anything come out. It honestly is all liquid.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Aww poor Sumo. I have been using pumpkin for Otis and it works well for him. I think white rice would too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No barfing. Sumo is on Acana (the pacifica one) she hasn't had any issues with her poo since shes been on it. everything has been good and solid. It just started yesterday. Maybe i will try the pumpkin again and see how that goes. Theres a chance she could have swallowed something, i was away on vacation this wknd and my sister was watching Sumo, but i havent seen anything come out. It honestly is all liquid.

Well..I would watch her very carefully. Often they have bad diaherria and the starting out fine but ending up runny..problems if they have something they are trying to get rid of. Usually there is barfing too. I'm going to get [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] here..she's dealt with this with her Duke. I would try the pumpkin,remember not the pie filling. 100% canned pumpkin,just a spoonful over her kibble..could keep rice going and I always use the rice water I boiled the rice in too..just added moisture..

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
mmmmm? could be many things.
Duke has had diarehha when he ate a toy:hangover: ( but he had vommitting also ) he also had it a few weeks back ( had a stomach virus ):shout: but again was vomitting too.

the two times he just had the runs.. it was from over eating and I cut his food back and the other time I think he ate something he should have. I have never heard of metamucil either.. i have heard of pepcid to calm their stomachs but Ii think the pumpkin is best.. How much did you give? I only give 1 - 2 tablespoons. I would keep an eye on her.. is it that it is just runny at her normal bowel times OR does she have it more often.. if no better tomorrow I would call the vet ?

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
mmmmm? could be many things.
Duke has had diarehha when he ate a toy:hangover: ( but he had vommitting also ) he also had it a few weeks back ( had a stomach virus ):shout: but again was vomitting too.

the two times he just had the runs.. it was from over eating and I cut his food back and the other time I think he ate something he should have. I have never heard of metamucil either.. i have heard of pepcid to calm their stomachs but Ii think the pumpkin is best.. How much did you give? I only give 1 - 2 tablespoons. I would keep an eye on her.. is it that it is just runny at her normal bowel times OR does she have it more often.. if no better tomorrow I would call the vet ?

She isn't having to go more than normal. and she isn't going in her crate or anything. It's just when i take her out she has to go. i will try the pumpkin tonight and see how that goes. how long does it usually take you to see it firming up if you are using the pumpkin , white rice etc?

thanks for all your help

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
With my boys, the pumpkin worked immediately. Hope it works out well for you and Sumo. Pumpkin really is a miracle veggie.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
She isn't having to go more than normal. and she isn't going in her crate or anything. It's just when i take her out she has to go. i will try the pumpkin tonight and see how that goes. how long does it usually take you to see it firming up if you are using the pumpkin , white rice etc?

thanks for all your help

I would just watch her then .. maybe she is eating too much.. but the fact that she is not having accidents or going more than normal is a good thing! :tongue:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.