what does this mean!?

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
My bully is constantly licking his left paw. Not sure what is going on, but when i look at his bedding in his cage it's dark and kinda look like blood but when i check all of his paws they look pretty normal? why is he doing this? he seems to never stop..suggestions?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Can't say what it us but cutty licks at night and same thing. Comes off on the blankets red. Usually allergies r a sign of crazy licking but with him, he does it at night before bed for no reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
nmejia024

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Can't say what it us but cutty licks at night and same thing. Comes off on the blankets red. Usually allergies r a sign of crazy licking but with him, he does it at night before bed for no reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

King does that too! before bed he is constantly licking and sometimes in the middle of the night i can hear him licking away...not sure if i should be worried or not

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there. My Wilson does this quite often and more so right after the grass has been mowed. He will chew it until it bleeds too and causes a sore wound. King is most like itchy to due an allergy sensitivity of some sort. I had Wilson allergy tested so I know what he's allergic too and it sure has helped with the guessing game.

Here's what I do for Wilson that works wonderfully for him.

1. Get a wash cloth and wash his paw down thoroughly.
2. Dry it well.
3. Use some cornstartch (my preference) and rub some inbetween his toes and on the underside of his pad.

4. If they're all bad, I take Wilson to the bathtub and wash his feet.

Works like a charm!! He was licking bad on his front foot and I did steps 1-3, again, and walla, licking stopped. :up:

Hope that helps.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would think this has something to do with allergies. Brutus used to lick his paws all the time and then we got him on a different better food and he stopped licking. Every so often he will but not as bad as before..It could be enviromental/food allergy...

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4065]nmejia024[/MENTION] Like others said, it could be a sign of allergies. I believe it is, for my Bruin. He does it after he comes in from doing his business. Is he only licking while he's on his bed? If so, maybe its the detergent or spray that you use for his bedding.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@cowsmom - does this sound like yeast to you?

Im not Sandra but Yes,,, yeast was the first thing that I thought of. Or, allergies which are related. Washing his feet may help, antihistamine may help, different food may help, ????? Its very common.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Im not Sandra but Yes,,, yeast was the first thing that I thought of. Or, allergies which are related. Washing his feet may help, antihistamine may help, different food may help, ????? Its very common.

OMGOODNESS BRUCE! I barely recognized you with that wig on. You really DO look a LOT like Sandra in that dress.......

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
definitly take to the vet, they can see things or xray that we can miss. Defintely something going on, either itching or pain. Good luck and let us know what is discovered.

operationajax

Feb 16, 2012
Connecticut
Bulldog(s) Names
Axl
My bully had yeast in the cracks of his paws where the underside of the paw should be a beige in color my bully's were red [take the paw in question look at the underside of it and open it up accordingly...you should now be able to see all of the cracks and crevices...check for redness. If the underside of the paw has any redness to it then yeast is the problem].
The cure: Purchase a vagina yeast infection cream [Found at all local pharmacies] and squeeze a generous amount onto a Q-tip and apply to the underside of the infected paw right before bed in the evening. Reapply up to two more times [if necessary] and the problem should be eradicated.

Also, I've noticed that some bullys will lick their paws because they are bored.

Hope this info helps you in determining what your bully's issue is.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there. My Wilson does this quite often and more so right after the grass has been mowed. He will chew it until it bleeds too and causes a sore wound. King is most like itchy to due an allergy sensitivity of some sort. I had Wilson allergy tested so I know what he's allergic too and it sure has helped with the guessing game.

Here's what I do for Wilson that works wonderfully for him.

1. Get a wash cloth and wash his paw down thoroughly.
2. Dry it well.
3. Use some cornstartch (my preference) and rub some inbetween his toes and on the underside of his pad.

4. If they're all bad, I take Wilson to the bathtub and wash his feet.

Works like a charm!! He was licking bad on his front foot and I did steps 1-3, again, and walla, licking stopped. :up:

Hope that helps.

Nitschke was like this and above is what I did to stop it.... grass allergies.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Sounds like possible Yeastie Beasties to me. A Sure fire way to figure out if its Yeast or not, it sounds crazy but.. do the sniff test with the Paws, if they smell like Fritos (Corn Chips) then its Yeast -

We 'Pickle' Gizmo's paws 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 2 parts warm water. Dip paw.. making sure they are totally wet from the solution, I even massage the paws. Dry totally -

Make sure you wash all of their bedding if they are in a kennel, you need to kill the Yeast colonies - Warm, Moist = Yeast Heaven -

Use the solution morning and night for a few days, and then as needed (when you see them licking at their paws).

Most Reactions