Problems doesnt stop

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
While dealing with the hot spots we have got some new problems ... So sad. , vet has changed his food and highly recommended to stick on it , i knew that turkey wasnt a good choice because hotspots happened after giving him turkey blue wellness so we e gave a chiken based protein food on thst one after several days he start puking once or twice daily , we keep hom hydrated , so we took to the vet again paid a 300 bill. X rays were done and they were clean nothing in it , blood test results are commin tomorrow , his behavior os normal playfull , happy etc
58f41673-9ff6-c04d.jpg
he gave an other food pork based wet food with does medication above ... Hi has farted very loudly but thats due to the wet food probabely ... His **** is much better and did not puled yet , hot spots are healin very slowly and the vet is not sure whats the problem i still think its food related , i lm just going from protein sources ... I hope he do good on pork if not we got beef left ... I got afraid after cheking his meds cause one of it is to cure ulcer but maybe to barrier it , we take really good care of him and dont let him eat things that will harm im
58f41673-a090-a1be.jpg
thats his food for the moment
58f41673-a0a8-5951.jpg
58f41673-a0b2-b21b.jpg
. Does are all the pictures i am far away and my gf do whatever i tell er to do , of course im hundre percnt sure she is doing her best , i am dropping tears at bight and praying for my boy to e healthy

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry to hear that your baby is not feeling better. In my opinion most vets are useless when it comes to nutrition and only recommend the rubbish they sell them selves. But I know from experience how difficult it is going against their recomendations and it can take a lot of time and effort to aducate yourself.
But for Cappu's stomach you look up Slippery Elm.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/blogs/twice/281-slippery-elm-bark-i-love-stuff.html

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I'm sorry your fella isn't feeling well....instead of the canned science diet vet food you could try the bland diet for a week or two (just over cooked white rice and a protein he does well on...you mentioned chicken, but you could do eggs or ground lean beef)...it helps me to focus on the most immediate problem that sounds like the throwing up and loose poops....resting his digestive system for a day and then very slowly introducing the bland diet might give his insides some tlc it needs....as for the hot spots the remedy will be more of a challenge to find as he could have a food allergy or environmental allergy or a combination of both....I keep a journal of daily food and activities with a note about health status to help me figure out patterns of triggers for allergies...and there's always allergy tests (but even with the tests you still have to watch and see if eliminating a possible trigger really improves their condition - allergies are loathsome and time consuming to battle but it's totally possible to find a happy place for your boy) hang in there....I hope he feels better soon!

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
I agree about vets and nutrition...do the research yourself. The best thing we ever did was run an allergy test. It was $300 and we were shocked at the results. It wasn't the protien sources he was allergic to, but the corn, soy, wheat and all types of potatoes. He is now on natures variety instinct salmon and doing very well!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
How frustrating for you. I can imagine your angst at trying to "fix" this poor pup. You've gotten some great suggestions here and there will be more. We have some wonderful folks here; true nutrition experts -- but I'm not one of them however.

Anytime either of my pups has been sick I do the "bland diet" ---and that is usually fine UNLESS your pup is allergic or sensitive to chicken or rice. (Mine aren't allergic or sensitive to either, it just turns them into big fart machines -- NO problem) Cappu has been sick for a time now, it seems and at this point, I might go get a second opinion -- unless you are confident in your veterinary care. Bring all your paperwork and xrays with you so he/she can see what's been done already should you go that route.

I sure hope Cappu is feeling better soon.

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
I agree about vets and nutrition...do the research yourself. The best thing we ever did was run an allergy test. It was $300 and we were shocked at the results. It wasn't the protien sources he was allergic to, but the corn, soy, wheat and all types of potatoes. He is now on natures variety instinct salmon and doing very well!

I am not very expert about ingrediets they look very good before part chance for allergy test im thinking of tryin the salmon that you said , but it doesn t write any carbonhydrate is that a problem plus may i feed him with that food he is 4 months old

L

Lucy-licious

I think I might tag..[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]...both have experience with food and supplements for a healthy pup.

I am worie dthat your vet might just be out for the money though...sell sell sell xx

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor guy! I'm going to tag a few people for you and hopefully they'll be able to help a bit more or will know another member who will. Hang in there! :hug:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
He's been sick for a really long while, especially for a young one. You have to get some food into him that he won't throw up. Poor little guy :(

The most digestible protein source you can give him is egg whites (raw if possible). Have your girlfriend try making him some rice and mixing one whole egg and 2 egg whites into it. See if he can keep that down. The slippery elm will coat his stomach, it will also help with his poop if you can get it. You can also give him 10mg of Pepcid. I use both, pepcid in the morning and SEB at night.

I have a personal philosophy when it comes to dog food now... if I can't pronounce the ingredients - my girls aren't eating it. I'd throw that canned gastro stuff in the trash (or return it for your money back).

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I would do the bland diet for a while and then get him on a good kibble such as Fromm Grain free Beef Frittata or one of the other high quality grain free food available and see how he does. Don't expect overnight miracles. New food should be introduced Very slowly by mixing into the old food and gradually increase the ratio over several weeks. Then it will take several more weeks for all the old food to be out of his system. A lot of people expect instant gratification and are frustrated when it doesn't happen. Take it slow and it may take a few food changes to find the right one. If the vet can't find anything physically wrong with him, likely the problem is his food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Boy..I'm so sorry he is still doing poorly. I honestly would try to get a second opinion AND I would do an allergy test. All of this seems like a food allergy. Remember, as they age..their systems change and the food that USED to be fine, might start giving them problems. I'm NOT a food expert. But I've found out from dealing with Jake and his food problems, there are many things to look for. I have figured out Jake is sensitive to chicken..so I stay away from turkey too. he did very poorly on salmon, so I stay away from fish. Now..jake hasn't had the same problems as your guy..so I would do an allergy test.

As far as that canned crappy food from the vet...I've used a similar food on a Dobie before and she did fine. It's not meant for a permanent food source. Usually for after surgery or interim use. I agree with others..most vets know little about actual nutrition and only repeat back what the sales people tell them that represent the food companies. Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged. He is a bit tougher than most..but you will find the right food.

If he is able to keep the vets food down..I would use it while I waited for an allergy screening. He needs food..water and nutrition. But he needs a better long term solution.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hoping with the great suggestions you have received here that Cappu will be feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
I am not very expert about ingrediets they look very good before part chance for allergy test im thinking of tryin the salmon that you said , but it doesn t write any carbonhydrate is that a problem plus may i feed him with that food he is 4 months old

Call and ask about puppy feeding. Personally, I like the kibble better because it is potato-free as well and my baby is highly allergic to it. The rabbit instinct kibble is also very low allergen as well. Honestly, the allergy test is the best place to start since its easy to feed them "human" food that they're not allergic to vs. Trying to figure out what filler is in food. The allergy test does not test for everything so you will need to do some homework. For example, Doughnut is allergic to soybeans which they test for, but they do not test for chickpeas that are almost identical to the soybeans allergy-wise. Some higher quality foods contain chickpeas. Hope this helps!!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Why don't you cook a little chicken and rice for him instead of the canned stuff.. that's mostly chemicals.. it's not what he needs right now.. I agree with [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] give him some raw egg and try the chicken and rice.. now, my Aldo is sensitive to chicken and rice so see how he does on that.. if no improvement in a day or two you can do ground beef and eggs.. let his tummy rest for so many food changes.. keep him on the bland diet until he feels better, then we can work on finding a good kibble for him

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.