Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not sure what could help.

@Semtex we would love to see pics when you can post them and let us know how he is doing

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Honestly..it sounds like your vet has a good handle on him. Unfortunately..these mites and othekicking issues can take a bit of time to clear up. There are some pople here who've had experience with this kind of problem. I'll try and get you some more advice. Just don't get discouraged and I'm certain Gilbert will be back to himself in no time!

@desertskybulldogs. @savemejeebus. @RescueMe. @Davidh

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert
    Likes (Received)

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Abby was 6 months old when her immune system took a vacation and she got demodex mange (mites). From what I was told these mites are with the animal their entire lives starting from birth. They only get out of control when the immune system is weakened. She had a bad reaction to the Ivermectin so we took her off of it after the first few days. I posted all about it at the time, I'm sure we can find it here somewhere.

The mange cleared up on its own by vitamin supplements, weekly neem oil baths, baby oil on the raw crusty spots and my trusty apple cider vinegar.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hiya! Gotta say first that Gilbert is one handsome boy and really love his name!

Now down to the nitty gritty. When my Stig had mange/mites, it was a secondary reaction to his allergies. Like the members mentioned before me, they live with the mites their whole lives and only when their immune system is compromised that it becomes an issue. It looks like Gilbert's red wrinkles are from his allergies too. Stig's also turned red and raw, and had lumps that would scab. The only thing that really cured him was changing his food as he was allergic to something in it. They're currently on the raw diet, but when we did a food trial, I found that he did best on Fromm Salmon. If it existed before, we would've tried a grain-free, chicken-free one, which is the beef frittata.

The vet prescribed 6-weeks worth of interceptor to fight the mange, but stopped in the middle of treatment when we found the right food for him.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

He is such a beautiful boy. Those do look like inflamed wrinkles ... I would start the treatment for the mites and see how that goes then you can start to look for ways to boost his immune system and also maybe look at switching up the food he's eating.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

To continue (I had to leave for a bit to eat dinner ), everyone gave great advice. Start with the mange meds, try to boost his immune system, and research for good food.

What we realized after with Stiggy was that the store bought treats that we were giving him were the main culprits. Most of his symptoms subsided when we gave him fruits, veggies and his kibble instead.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 06-19-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert
    Likes (Received)

@savemejeebus We have definitely looked into the FROMM dog food and were really interested in buying it. We are gonna start giving him fruits and vegetables to help boost his immune system. Would you recommend that we change his food while he is taking his medication?
    Last edited by Semtex; 06-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Semtex View Post
    @savemejeebus We have definitely looked into the FROMM dog food and were really interested in buying it. We are gonna start giving him fruits and vegetables to help boost his immune system. Would you recommend that we change his food while he is taking his medication?
    Hmm, it can go both ways I guess. We got lucky and found the right one for Stig so it worked out for him. Changing foods may cause a little more stress to the system if it's the wrong one. To be safe, I'd go for chicken-free and grain free. How long is the treatment plan for Gilbert? If it's 6 weeks like it was for Stig, I think it should be safe to change his food seeing it's such a long course.

Another alternative is to feed him the bland diet for a couple of days and see if there are any obvious changes. I'm not an expert on the bland diet though, and don't know if it will cause more stress to the system. I don't believe so, but let's wait until more people chime it.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 06-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Likes (Received)

He is beautiful! I hope you get to the bottom of this and find a solution that works.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We have never had mange mites but we have had skin infections which I believe are quite similar in symptoms. For Molly all the baths and medicines I was giving her was only helping a little bit, it was not until I changed her food that a miracle took place. She was on antibiotics, special shampoo and antihistamine and steriod pill for 3 weeks with little imprivement. Note she had just had pups so her immune system was low. Seriously within 24 hours of just a slow switch of the new food she was better. Mind you this was only 1/4 of her food, and it made all the difference to her health. By the time she was fully switched over she was a whole new dog. Salmon oil helped a LOT too!

If it were me, I would wait a week or two to see if the meds help, if not... I would certainly be trying a new food.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads