Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

Bongo is 5 months and a bit and I was wondering in you experience when did you all get your boys fixed?
Louie our pug got his snip at 10 months but I think he had a little too much of the leg humping a habit he hasn't quite broke so maybe it was too long.
I hear 6 months is about standard what do you guys think?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qyx3ig
Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank is 6 months and we just had him neutered. He did great! While he never hiked or hunched, I wanted to neuter him before those behaviors started. I read Cesar Millan's book "How to raise the Perfect Dog". He also recommends the age of 6 months before the urge to breed becomes an issue that causes frustration and possibly aggression in our sweet guys. I definitely don't want my wonderful pup to go through this phase since we never had any intentions of using him for breeding.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
There are so many views on this...we neutered Jake at 11 months ...but he was behaving himself and we decided to push it off a bit. I think [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] can give you some great advice.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is always a good question and a lot of different answers. My bully vet suggest waiting until 18 months old for a male because bullies mature slower than other breeds. Does it make that much difference? I don't know. I know people who have them neutered before they are one year old and they turn out fine. I always wait on my males to around 18 months like my vet says.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
not before 6 months for sure. This is a big discussion for sure with so many preferences and views. Cutty and Miila were over a year when they got neutered/spayed but that was because I didnt have them as babies. Mugsy my pug got neutered at a younger age cuz I wanted him and Cutty to get it done at the same time. He has filled in for a pug quite nicely and actually has a bigger chest than most pugs I have seen. He still humps when he gets playing and excited so not sure the neutering early will curb that. lol.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We had Tonka neutered around 5 1/2-6 months because our vet etc. recommended that to us. He had just started do do some humping before we had it done and now that it's done, he will still occasionally hump. Mostly just does it to my boyfriend for whatever reason...never to me, so i'm fine with it! HAHA!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We had Tonka neutered around 5 1/2-6 months because our vet etc. recommended that to us. He had just started do do some humping before we had it done and now that it's done, he will still occasionally hump. Mostly just does it to my boyfriend for whatever reason...never to me, so i'm fine with it! HAHA!

Some of the Best Humpers are neutered.. So that behavior won't be cured by neutering! Your pooooor boyfriend! :laugh:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Bear (our black lab mix) was a rescue and so when we got him from the rescue at 9 weeks the rescue gave us a certificate to have him neutered but it had to be done within a very limited time frame or the certificate would expire.

Daddy .... can't remember without looking through my files at home but I am fairly certain he was about 6 months old.

Linus ... we had him neutered about 4 weeks ago when he was 7 months old. We would have pushed it off for a little longer but his playing with Daddy was getting to be a little too confrontational which we blamed on all those hormones ... plus he decided that he just had to rape the MALE cat. Still does try to hump the cat but definitely less and less thank goodness!! Poor kitty .......... :blink:

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Some of the Best Humpers are neutered.. So that behavior won't be cured by neutering! Your pooooor boyfriend! :laugh:

It's fine with me of course! :) I am enjoying watching it happen, it cracks me up every time! I always say it's because I am the alpha and Tonka knows not to mess with me but will try to show his dominance over my boyfriend haha.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
We did Kains at 6 months as recommended by our vet and Ceasar Milan on the perfect pet book and show. Simple and easy was fine that evening. You would never know it was done.

I'll have pictures of Kain as he develops to put the whole don't develop fully thing to rest also :)

I would do it at 6 months in a heartbeat again also, I don't need the unwanted behavior banning and then have to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GUnnith345

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
We have yet to get our boy Zeus neutered and he's and he's at about 14 months. Our vet also recommended 6 months but I tried to do a bit of reading regarding this just to get a different opinion/perspective. This is probably the best pdf I've found summarizing some research I came across at the time (see page 2). http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

When our vet originally recommended neutering at 6 months, we brought up our concerns to him and he agreed that there has been some emerging evidence which suggests bone/ligament development issues in dogs when neutered especially prematurely. We haven't decided if we'll neuter Zeus at all yet but we're trying to at least get him to 18 months before doing it. He's already humping and marking outside. We discourage humping whenever he starts so we treat it like a bad behavior and we encourage marking outside since he enjoys it and probably keeps him from doing it inside.

Anyway, I've been pretty indecisive on this myself, all these decisions are so tough!

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
We have yet to get our boy Zeus neutered and he's and he's at about 14 months. Our vet also recommended 6 months but I tried to do a bit of reading regarding this just to get a different opinion/perspective. This is probably the best pdf I've found summarizing some research I came across at the time (see page 2). http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

When our vet originally recommended neutering at 6 months, we brought up our concerns to him and he agreed that there has been some emerging evidence which suggests bone/ligament development issues in dogs when neutered especially prematurely. We haven't decided if we'll neuter Zeus at all yet but we're trying to at least get him to 18 months before doing it. He's already humping and marking outside. We discourage humping whenever he starts so we treat it like a bad behavior and we encourage marking outside since he enjoys it and probably keeps him from doing it inside.

Anyway, I've been pretty indecisive on this myself, all these decisions are so tough!

That is a awesome article I'm definatly going to wait until 18 months. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.