cleaning skin folds

Ozzie

Sep 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Izabel
What's the best way to clean skin folds? We have used a wet towel in the past. And sometimes we put powder in the folds afterwards to suck up the moisture but she HATES it. And you know how strong they can be, it's nearly impossible to hold her still. Wondering if anyone has an fast and easy way of cleaning them? Have heard baby wipes? What about the moisture though? I keep hearing so many different things.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My best way to date, after many trials and experiments, is now:

Take a hot cloth and clean the face. Use paper towels to dry. In a bowl, mix cornstarch and hydrogen peroxide until it is barely a liquid and hardly a solid. It makes a very unique type of paste, where it is too thick to get with your finger so you need to kind of dig it out. Once it touches the moist skin folds and you fingers, it will become more liquified again. Careful not to get in the eyes or in the nose. I let this "dry" for a good half hour, then I carefully put desitin where the "tear" stains would be.

Now, if you have yeast in any folds you will need an anti yeast medication. Animax creme works very well, but there are others. You need a prescription from your vet for this. I apply this anywhere I find yeast- under the nose rope, in the tail pocket, and even in the vaginal area if it is "tucked" and gets yeast. You can also use human yeast wipes for these areas as well. I do the face treatment of peroxide and desitin at least every 2-3 days, but I wipe face with hot cloth daily. I only treat for yeast as needed.

We will use off brand stridex pads as well to clean out bad folds, but if the fold is raw, your bully will likely go nuts.

I will also use buggies baby wipes here and there instead of hot cloth. These are not very moist.

We all have our ways of doing this, but the main problem could be your food. Low grade foods cause horrible skin issues in bullies. What are you feeding?

I am certain you will get many more tips as well :). Let's get your bully in fabulous shape and feeling good, cuz those nasty wrinkles are very uncomfortable :(

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I only have puppies, 3 months old, so what I'm doing probably won't be too helpful. I use an unscented baby wipe and then dry it off real well. So far I haven't had to deal with things like yeast or other skin issues.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
You can also try Desitin on the wrinkles AFTER cleaning them to help soothe and protect the folds but baby wipes, a soft, wet cloth, or towel are all good choices as long as you dry the area after cleansing.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I use baby wipes to clean the folds, and then a soft flour sack cloth to dry.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree with 'desertskybulldogs'. It's the FOOD.
Once I changed Maximus' food, I never had another problem with his wrinkles or skin folds. I now just use unscented baby wipes to keep them clean.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I use the unscented sensitive baby wipes for Maggies wrinkles and so far she's doing really well!

OP
O

Ozzie

Sep 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Izabel
We switched her food to Taste of the Wild last week. Still no improvement on her skin though. She has scabs on her belly and it's spreading upward and chunks of hair are falling out. I know it might take a little longer than a week so I'm trying to be patient. But I feel so bad for her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do you have a photo? This could be more serious, like Mange, or a fungus..... When did she start getting scabs?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1157]Ozzie[/MENTION]
Don't get freaked out by the word mange...yet. How old is your pup? Just some quick info that I found when Vegas was diagnosed with mange. All puppies have mange. They get it from their mommies. Most puppies have an immune system that can hold off the spread of the mites...Classically Demodex mites have been felt to only be transferable from mother to newborn pup. After the pup is a week or so old, it has developed enough immunity so that infection is no longer possible. In other words, after age one week or so, a dog will not longer accept new mites on its body.

But, in the case of Vegas...he has a weak immune system. The mites were stronger that his body could fight off and he ended up with a bald spot. It took 8 to 12 weeks of treatment for us to conquer it.

AND kinda off subject...when you asked about putting powder on them and worring about the moisture I could only picture one thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRLJXhlOf1M

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have heard from mutiple vets that "breeders use Corn starch" When Abby's pollen allergies start up, that is when we have trouble with folds. I know at times when I go to clean them there are cakey yeasty globs, which if I didn't know better, could be confused for scabs. Anyway I did just purchase a facial scrub from Caroline Pantry, it is for folds and also helps with staining. I am looking forward to trying it.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We mainly just used baby wipes and mal a ket wipes here and there to do a deep down clean. Have heard the malacetic wipes are good and also stridex pads even for cleaning the wrinkles. My boys arent usually too bad so the baby wipes do the job most the time. As for switching the food, I think it could take up to maybe even a month to know how it will affect your pup, good or bad. Also fish oil is good for them also and there are many diff kinds people give but I just give regular ol fish oil pills that we would take. (The boys think they are a yummy cookie and just eat them as is. lol)

Knuckles73

Jun 8, 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
We took Oscar to vet this a.m. Came home to find he had been scratching at his ears all night and they were scabbed and bloody. Off to the vet we go...turns out he has some yeast problems in his nose wrinkle and a fungus in his ears, ichy inflamed front paws... most likely has an allergy to the Avoderm Lamb and rice. Well $260 later with 4 meds and an daily ear flush were off to find a Grain free food. Looks like we're gonna try Candiae Grain free salmon.

About the wrinkles and moisture, our vet told us to use Stridex acne pads, being careful to not get it in his eyes. He says it will clean and dry the areas since it is an exstringent. Havent needed Acne pads since I was a teenager...lol

Knuckles

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online