Normal??

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All! So Winston has started to develop alot of black spots underneath his hair and on his skin it looks like. I have attached a picture that you can kinda see them. My question is, is this normal?? He is sooo spotty! He always had random ones all over his hair and on his tummy but not underneath. Thanks for the help! photo.jpg

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
My Schultz is 6 and I I imagine if I shaved him he'd look like a spotted little piglet....I sure hope its normal....if I remember correctly his spots developed around his first birthday..

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
That is about the time Winston started to get them! In April they started to really become visible! He turned 1 in May! I call him my little piglet all the time!! Well if Winston is not the only one with them, they must be normal!! :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Normal, normal :-) Dublin is mostly white so you can see them easier. She is nearly two and they have been appearing for a while now. Would look hilarious if we shaved her LOL..

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My two boys both have them, but Stig's are more noticeable since he has white fur like your Winston. I call them freckles. They don't stay the same, either, and change over time.

I'm going to tag @2BullyMama to post a pic of her Banks ... you say Winston has a lot, wait till you see hers. :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Totally normal, they will get more as they age. Just skin pigmentation.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
You need only worry when they grow a long tail,long floppy rears and run next to carriages cos then you have a Dalmatian !lol,karen

Hidapriscila

Feb 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Humphrey
White Bulldogs are usually actually Piebald. Spots develop later in life. My petite petunia, Lily, was nearly solid white when born except for a brown eye spot. Within 3 weeks, she had a quarter sized spot on her bum. By the time I brought her home, she had sever small ones and when we bathed her, she was way spottier than when she was dry.

I will say, if they seem to be just along the spine, THAT could be sun spots. These, just like in humans, are caused by over-exposure to the sun and just like with humans, it can be bad for dogs. If your doggie spends alot of time outside in an unshaded yard, sunscreen is a must, just like for your skin kids. We had a friend whose all white great dane developed them very badly. They weren't the cute little black & brown freckles we see with our piebald bullie, but they were orangish and yellow and under the fur. You could tell they were different (a little, anyway). White dogs tend to "sunburn" worse than other dogs. You might talk to your vet next time you're in to see him.

Priscilla
Owned by two bullies, a rat terrier, two white kitties
...oh and three pink furless kids

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
Bruno also has these, they all differ in size. I call them his freckles.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
First time I even noticed new freckles on BabyGirl was on the edges of her eyelids then on her gums and when she lost some fur on her side she had a gazillion spots and they seem to get darker with time. So yes I think it's normal. I was alarmed when I first noticed them but now I know they are normal.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all of the input! I think they are the cutest things it was just when they started to be all over the place that I questioned it.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
White Bulldogs are usually actually Piebald. Spots develop later in life. My petite petunia, Lily, was nearly solid white when born except for a brown eye spot. Within 3 weeks, she had a quarter sized spot on her bum. By the time I brought her home, she had sever small ones and when we bathed her, she was way spottier than when she was dry.

I will say, if they seem to be just along the spine, THAT could be sun spots. These, just like in humans, are caused by over-exposure to the sun and just like with humans, it can be bad for dogs. If your doggie spends alot of time outside in an unshaded yard, sunscreen is a must, just like for your skin kids. We had a friend whose all white great dane developed them very badly. They weren't the cute little black & brown freckles we see with our piebald bullie, but they were orangish and yellow and under the fur. You could tell they were different (a little, anyway). White dogs tend to "sunburn" worse than other dogs. You might talk to your vet next time you're in to see him.

Priscilla
Owned by two bullies, a rat terrier, two white kitties
...oh and three pink furless kids

I do not let Winston spend much time in the sun, unless he is going potty he is usually only outside when the sun goes down. That is very good advice though thank you!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online