Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing fur...any ideas?

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Losing fur...any ideas?

BabyGirl has this fur loss on only one side. Sometimes it grows back in for a few months. This spring it fell out again in the same place. So far no blackened skin, just her freckles showing through. Had her tested and thyroid results were normal so don't know why. She's normal otherwise.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

"Black and Leathery" describes Bea's seasonal flank alopecia spots (once fully developed) to a "T". It doesn't itch or hurt her; it's just cosmetic. She gets a bath in a moisturizing shampoo (which is more for me that her, really). I wonder if white dog's alopecia appears differently than brown dogs? (once fully developed) I started salmon oil a month ago or so and I don't know that it's helping or not with the alopecia. It seemed to help with shedding for a time but it's hard to say since we're going into summer.....

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno, Mya
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Tiffany B's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rollie and Cash
    Likes (Received)

I use the grizzly salmon oil too. Rollie looks bad! But he doesn't scratch at the places at all. His sides look almost bald.. Poor guy he's seemed to have gained some weight too. The vet thought after he was on the meds the weight would come off, but it hasn't

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pe5qj3

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno, Mya
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany B View Post
    I use the grizzly salmon oil too. Rollie looks bad! But he doesn't scratch at the places at all. His sides look almost bald.. Poor guy he's seemed to have gained some weight too. The vet thought after he was on the meds the weight would come off, but it hasn't

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pe5qj3
    I thought about giving Bruno salmon oil. I am feeding him Fromm beef which has salmon oil included, so not sure if I need to give him more. Has Rollie been test for thyroid?

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Tiffany B's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rollie and Cash
    Likes (Received)

Yes twice, his was in the negative. The vet called me himself.. Hes takes 1 pill a day for his thyroid.Which scared me. But he's fine, I was just overly worried! Imagine that.. Lol I have tried numerous foods foods, but in my opinion with his thyroid prob, I really can't tell any difference in any of them, that I have tried

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5ebyic

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)

My Little Bertie has seasonal alopecia off and on. Last year she got a spot on one side, my vet looked at it and said it was seasonal...a few months later the other side did it....then both sides turned black and leathery. Her hair has since grown back and she looks like she did before. My vet did say I could try Melatonin, but only to do it for a week or two and then stop using it for a couple months. I never did use it. He also said that a lot of the time, it's caused by not enough sunlight...which is more than likely Bertie's problem...she really doesn't like it outside. She goes out does her business and wants right back inside.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Major
    Likes (Received)

Mange?
    Major is losing patches of hair, went to the vet and they did a skin test. Hes on medicine right now.

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno, Mya
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by reallyrob View Post
    My Little Bertie has seasonal alopecia off and on. Last year she got a spot on one side, my vet looked at it and said it was seasonal...a few months later the other side did it....then both sides turned black and leathery. Her hair has since grown back and she looks like she did before. My vet did say I could try Melatonin, but only to do it for a week or two and then stop using it for a couple months. I never did use it. He also said that a lot of the time, it's caused by not enough sunlight...which is more than likely Bertie's problem...she really doesn't like it outside. She goes out does her business and wants right back inside.
    My vet didn't say only to use it for two weeks. I will have to check into that one. I am trying to spend more time outside with Bruno. Sometimes it just gets too warm for him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads