Inbreeding for Ideal Traits

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
I have heard of some breeders occationally inbreeding english bulldogs (in this case a daughter with its father) when they have ideal traits such as good health, good temperment, ect. is this normal and occur often? also would there be any possible problems with a puppy from a litter like this?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry, but in my very honest opinion that is not acceptable. I think that is the downfall of any breed.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
In my opinion I do not belive at all in breeding mom/dad with daughter/son. I dont feel inbreeding is good for any breed! I could be wrong but it just doesnt sound right to me...I will tag some members who have tons of experience with breeding bulldogs [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
also would there be any possible problems with a puppy from a litter like this?

The possible problems are endless! As the parent of a very sick puppy, I can safely tell you that it's a VERY bad idea.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't nor do I ever plan on doing it. I do know that what you are referring to is in breeding, but what you may actually be referring to is line breeding. Line breeders do not do daughter and father, but grandparent with grandpup. I have never heard of a line breeder breeding a parent/pup together.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
The possible problems are endless! As the parent of a very sick puppy, I can safely tell you that it's a VERY bad idea.
Agree totally,I knew my breeder 20yrs trusted her completely but when Annie got sick she did not want to know told me to breed her then she would get better!,vet said Annie got I'll through breeding and given that the breeder found one of her girls pregnant from being in kennels obviously unplanned and she has 3 studs in the kennels!,she still sold the pups for hundreds of pounds but who's name would she put on the papers she would have to choose out of 3,I now class this breeder as a backyard breeder and just to add ,I sent her a message on the day we lost Annie and she did not even have the decency to reply!so yes any irresponsible breeding is so wrong and it's us who end up with the misery of a sick dog ,not the breeders,karen

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
In-breeding in my opinion is a bad thing, line-breeding is different and should be done with a close eye to health and genetics. I know several good breeders than line breed and I also own several bullies from line-breeding and I have no problem with it. It can bring out some good traits and you can have a more consistent litter with line-breeding, but if not done carefully (I mean watching health, temperament, ect.) it can bring out some not so desirable traits.

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
thanks for your help and ya this was a case of inbreeding. i have heard of line breeding and heard that some breeders practice it and it works good for keeping good traits but it just didnt sound right having them that close for the same reasons. thanks again

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Interesting thread!!

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I've heard if you have two perfect dogs to start with(no defects) and you do a father/ daughter breeding ONE time it is considered line breeding . You can double up on all the good genes/qualities. Now, if you took a female offspring from that litter and bred it back to the dad/grandfather that would be Too close, (an over load) and you would end up doubling up on all the bad genes that would be considered in-breeding in the "dog world" you would never want to breed a mother/son that would cause doubling of bad genes right from the first breeding and you could end up with lots of defects. I can't say if it is right or wrong or if it is line breeding or in-breeding but heard some breeders that show their dogs in the show ring do it sometimes, and have beautiful healthy quality puppies.

I've have read much about this and would say 60/40 don't think it's ok but it is done...

I've heard if it's done once, it's ok. the purpose is to bring out the stong traits of one side. i know some one who has a dog from a result of a father /daughter mating and the dog is completly fine.pp

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Again, I'm sorry, but for me this is an over load. What do those breeders say about breeding a brother and a sister?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah I certainly do not agree with it.

Most Reactions