Help

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hi guys
when I first got Lily from the breeder she was eating puppy chow, graduallyswitched her over to Natures Logic and after 2 weeks she was having very loosestools, so I went to the pet store and bought Orjien and did 50% natures logicand 50% orjien and a little bit of pumpkin...Later in the evening she threw itALL up!! I’m just wondering if I should continue to feed her the Orgien or if Ishould stop.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
you are making the switch's too fast. a food switch should take a couple weeks at least starting with the new food being 25% of the mix. every few days add a bit more new food the mix until you have completed switched over. 100% canned pumpkin not pumpkin mix. only about 1 tbs a day. pumpkin is fiber and it can also have the opposite affect if given too much. add some cooked rice to the meal, just a tbs or two. this will also make poops more solid. small meals more often, maybe three to four a day.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Exactly as Sherry said... too fast of a switch.
Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before proceeding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn a few weeks ago and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have nothing to add in how to do it, but a hints with doing it. I would pre-measure the increments and put them into baggies. I would do the 1/4-3/4 for 3-4 days, 6-8 baggies then the 1/2-1/2 etc....That way with other people feeding the dogs, there is no mix up or "I forgot" what the measurements should be. You can re-use the baggies every switch to save. Slowly is the key to switching. Good Luck

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Sending well wishes to you and Lily!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also going from puppy chow to such a good food you will need to feed less! Cut back the amount you are giving and see if things firm up.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Can't add to what has already been said ........ except to say good luck!! :up:

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
She is doing much better now thanks everyone for the advice I do have anyother question though should I be putting a probiotic supplement in her food?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont see the harm in adding a probiotic to her food. having a good immune system is key to bullies so sure see how she does on it.

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Can I put Pumpkin and a probiotic in her food in the mornign and then switch the pumpkin to plain yogurt or cottage cheese in the evening or would that be to much? I just want her to be healthy!!and should i be feeding her any kind of supplement or is she to young to start her on something? Sorry for all the questions ahah im a nervous new mommy lol!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.