Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deafness in EBs

Real Name
    Rachel
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie
    Likes (Received)

Default Deafness in EBs

I've got friend who works with deaf boxers when the area rescue gets them in. All of them have been white. I came across a litter in my search for a puppy and all of them (and the mother) are mostly white. Do I need to worry about deafness? Is this a common hereditary problem in EBs like it seems to be with boxers? Thanks! Rachel

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Deafness in EBs

One of Usko's sisters is totally white and also deaf. It is common in all breeds when white also cats. But btw Velma is abolutely fabulous!

Lucy-licious

THere are a few white bullys on the site here that have no problems..I will tag their owners as I am sure they will have looked into this too... @savemejeebus, @kazzy220 @sheshistory

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I too have heard that all white pets have a much higher chance of being deaf. Something to do with the cells that produce pigmentation being absent, and if those cells are absent then it is often the case that the cells in the inner ear are absent or short in supply too. Yes .. I did look into it briefly when I fell in love with Linus but wasn't really too worried because I knew already that Linus had a big red spot just on his tail and back end. He also has freckles!!

So if the bulldogs you are looking at are "mostly" white then I'm assuming that there must be evidence of other colouring too even if it's very small. That means the bully has pigmentation and so hopefully should not have any hearing problems!!

Hope that helps and puts your mind at ease!!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

My Oliver is "mostly" white. Only one colored ear and his tail and he has one blue eye and he's not completely deaf, but he does have a hard time hearing low pitch sounds sometimes. He has a sister who is all white and also has one blue eye and is completely deaf. So if the puppies you are looking at have some color in them then they probably have some hearing as well. That was the first questioned I asked my vet as soon as I brought Oliver home. I too had heard that white pets and those with blue eyes especially were more prone to deafness. She did an informal hearing test on him and that's when we found that he can't hear some pitches. For the most part when he doesn't respond, I just think it's the bulldog thing coming out in him, not so much lack of hearing
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Sebastian n Oliver View Post
    My Oliver is "mostly" white. Only one colored ear and his tail and he has one blue eye and he's not completely deaf, but he does have a hard time hearing low pitch sounds sometimes. He has a sister who is all white and also has one blue eye and is completely deaf. So if the puppies you are looking at have some color in them then they probably have some hearing as well. That was the first questioned I asked my vet as soon as I brought Oliver home. I too had heard that white pets and those with blue eyes especially were more prone to deafness. She did an informal hearing test on him and that's when we found that he can't hear some pitches. For the most part when he doesn't respond, I just think it's the bulldog thing coming out in him, not so much lack of hearing
    Jackson's hearing is perfect....but selective!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My Stig's hearing is fine ... selective, but fine.

But I have heard of what you mentioned but always thought that it's when they're all white, no colouring whatsoever, such as freckles, spotted ears, tiny spots here and there. Stig has spotted ears and freckles on his skin.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I've had two all whites - Linus and Bentley - and both had normal hearing...if not "selective" as others point out!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Deafness dose run in all white creatures. Deer, Moose, horse, dog, cat, many of the white kingdom. something about lack of pigment and other biological stuff. there is allot written on the subject, you have to research it.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

My brindle girl Callista had a litter of all brindles and one white puppy who turned out to be deaf. We called her Star. I would just be careful when picking out the pup you want and even requesting paperwork from the vet stating a hearing test has been performed. ANY responsible breeder has their pups health checked before they place them. We found Star a wonderful family who was experienced with Deaf dogs.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Real Name
    Rachel
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the great replies. I think in this litter there is one all white and the rest have some coloring. The pups will be vet checked before they are taken home, so I feel good about that. Is anyone aware of when signs of deafness start showing up? I've been doing some reading and it seems like you should be able to have some signs soon after they are born.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel411 View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies. I think in this litter there is one all white and the rest have some coloring. The pups will be vet checked before they are taken home, so I feel good about that. Is anyone aware of when signs of deafness start showing up? I've been doing some reading and it seems like you should be able to have some signs soon after they are born.
    I would think that signs of deafness show up fairly soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads