Deafness in EBs

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
I've got friend who works with deaf boxers when the area rescue gets them in. All of them have been white. I came across a litter in my search for a puppy and all of them (and the mother) are mostly white. Do I need to worry about deafness? Is this a common hereditary problem in EBs like it seems to be with boxers? Thanks! Rachel

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
One of Usko's sisters is totally white and also deaf. It is common in all breeds when white also cats. But btw Velma is abolutely fabulous!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too have heard that all white pets have a much higher chance of being deaf. Something to do with the cells that produce pigmentation being absent, and if those cells are absent then it is often the case that the cells in the inner ear are absent or short in supply too. Yes .. I did look into it briefly when I fell in love with Linus but wasn't really too worried because I knew already that Linus had a big red spot just on his tail and back end. He also has freckles!!

So if the bulldogs you are looking at are "mostly" white then I'm assuming that there must be evidence of other colouring too even if it's very small. That means the bully has pigmentation and so hopefully should not have any hearing problems!!

Hope that helps and puts your mind at ease!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My Oliver is "mostly" white. Only one colored ear and his tail and he has one blue eye and he's not completely deaf, but he does have a hard time hearing low pitch sounds sometimes. He has a sister who is all white and also has one blue eye and is completely deaf. So if the puppies you are looking at have some color in them then they probably have some hearing as well. That was the first questioned I asked my vet as soon as I brought Oliver home. I too had heard that white pets and those with blue eyes especially were more prone to deafness. She did an informal hearing test on him and that's when we found that he can't hear some pitches. For the most part when he doesn't respond, I just think it's the bulldog thing coming out in him, not so much lack of hearing :ROFL:

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
My Oliver is "mostly" white. Only one colored ear and his tail and he has one blue eye and he's not completely deaf, but he does have a hard time hearing low pitch sounds sometimes. He has a sister who is all white and also has one blue eye and is completely deaf. So if the puppies you are looking at have some color in them then they probably have some hearing as well. That was the first questioned I asked my vet as soon as I brought Oliver home. I too had heard that white pets and those with blue eyes especially were more prone to deafness. She did an informal hearing test on him and that's when we found that he can't hear some pitches. For the most part when he doesn't respond, I just think it's the bulldog thing coming out in him, not so much lack of hearing :ROFL:
Jackson's hearing is perfect....but selective!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My Stig's hearing is fine ... selective, but fine. :D

But I have heard of what you mentioned but always thought that it's when they're all white, no colouring whatsoever, such as freckles, spotted ears, tiny spots here and there. Stig has spotted ears and freckles on his skin.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've had two all whites - Linus and Bentley - and both had normal hearing...if not "selective" as others point out! :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Deafness dose run in all white creatures. Deer, Moose, horse, dog, cat, many of the white kingdom. something about lack of pigment and other biological stuff. there is allot written on the subject, you have to research it.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
My brindle girl Callista had a litter of all brindles and one white puppy who turned out to be deaf. We called her Star. I would just be careful when picking out the pup you want and even requesting paperwork from the vet stating a hearing test has been performed. ANY responsible breeder has their pups health checked before they place them. We found Star a wonderful family who was experienced with Deaf dogs.

OP
R

Rachel411

Jun 10, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie
Thanks for all the great replies. I think in this litter there is one all white and the rest have some coloring. The pups will be vet checked before they are taken home, so I feel good about that. Is anyone aware of when signs of deafness start showing up? I've been doing some reading and it seems like you should be able to have some signs soon after they are born.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks for all the great replies. I think in this litter there is one all white and the rest have some coloring. The pups will be vet checked before they are taken home, so I feel good about that. Is anyone aware of when signs of deafness start showing up? I've been doing some reading and it seems like you should be able to have some signs soon after they are born.

I would think that signs of deafness show up fairly soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online