Prescription meds

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I don't know if most people realize this or not (I certainly didn't) but your local drug store can also fill your dogs prescriptions. Walgreens discount program card specifically says it covers veterinary medicines.

Abby gets subQ fluids every night right? The vet charges me 20.00 per bag, we go through a bag a week (twice that this week). I called Walgreens. I can buy a case of 12 bags of the lactated ringers solution for 58.00. For 20 bucks I can get their annual prescription discount card and that same case will now cost me 28.00. The pharmacist offered to call my vet for authorization to place the order. Then my vet called, they are willing to MATCH Walgreens price!

I find it very suspicious that they've been perfectly willing to charge me 20 bucks for one bag of LRS when they could have been charging me the 2.00 all along. I get that they have to make money too but come on! She will be on this stuff for the rest of her life.

So anyway. My point in all of this is for daily maintenance, vitamins or even emergency meds, it's cheaper at your drug store and your vet just might match the price.

L

Lucy-licious

wish it worked like that here...but people in the UK get charged a set amount per item on their prescription...currently £7.75 or there abouts...this is because of our nhs system. The pharmasist will tell you if something on your scrip is cheaper to buy than have on prescription to save you money. Unfortunately this system doesnt apply to animals so we pay the same as the meds cost. We can shop around for cheaper but in my experience the vets office has always had the best price so far.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! And also Costco has a program that they give you discounted prices if you don't have insurance. And pets are treated like people. I got my cats very..very..expensive insulin from them. Normal pharmacy. Was $110.. And Costco was $93..my vet always asked if I wanted prescription to take and get filled or get meds thru her IF they had them.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes! And also Costco has a program that they give you discounted prices if you don't have insurance. And pets are treated like people. I got my cats very..very..expensive insulin from them. Normal pharmacy. Was $110.. And Costco was $93..my vet always asked if I wanted prescription to take and get filled or get meds thru her IF they had them.

I had no idea that they did this for pets. I started out spending the 20 per bag from the vet, then I started getting them from thrivingpets for 8 bucks a bag. Then this morning I saw a post on the k9kidneys group about Walgreens. I called them and was amazed and omgsograteful! This will save me a bunch of money each month.

I figured if I didn't know, probably other people didn't either. Yesterday I paid 34.00 for anti-nausea meds from the vet. I will only give them to her in an emergency because they are processed in the liver, but I got them anyway to keep at home as a last resort. I could've gotten the same pills at Walgreens for 12.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Yes! Even better grocery store here and also Walmart have something better. You pay about 7 bucks a year for entire family ( they list dogs as family. Most meds are freesuch as antibiotics. Atost they cost 4 bucks. Refills included!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION] you may have just found a reason for me to step foot in a Walmart :lmao:

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Yes, Walgreens is great for dog meds. We just recently discovered this too! We get Tonka's hydroxyzine there. For the amount we get it would be around $90 but with the card we get it for $30! :) Awesome!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.