Mommy Milk and/or Formula?? 3wks old pups

Sdbullie

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi all!!

Momma Lola, has been doing a great job as a first time mom; But I've noticed lately, that she isn't feeding them as regularly as she use to. Now its every 4 hrs, The pups cry when she passes by during these periods, but I'm unsure if its because they are hungry or something else. My question is, can I feed the pups formula while they are getting milk from mom? or is it one or the other? I don't want to over feed them either....Thanks!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] would be a good one to ask on this question.
How about posting some pix??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have no exp with breeding so I am no help. Just wanted to say hello and tell you we need some pics :) You cant dangle babies in front of our face with no pictures :) Hope all goes well and you came to the right place for help with your new babies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The pups are probably getting pretty aggressive with her teets and also may be starting to get teeth, so mom is probably not loving the idea of feeding as much as she used to!

I sit with mom and give her lots of love while she is feeding the pups. It is important that you keep her milk drained so she does not develop mastitis. I also give mom a nice cleaning with a nice warm clean and sanitized cloth, using sterile solution. Make sure pups nails are not hurting her too, they are very aggressive at this age and if the two front paws are not kept trim they will cause small cuts on her teets with their aggressive tugging where bacteria can go to the teet, again causing mastitis.

You can start weaning once they are able to lap up milk from a bowl. Once they do this I wean them off of mom.

Do NOT use the formula stuff because it causes diarrhea! Go to the store and buy fresh GOAT milk instead. It is very expensive but worth it for these puppies! You can use this while weaning and put in the mush you make.

OP
S

Sdbullie

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
The pups are probably getting pretty aggressive with her teets and also may be starting to get teeth, so mom is probably not loving the idea of feeding as much as she used to!

I sit with mom and give her lots of love while she is feeding the pups. It is important that you keep her milk drained so she does not develop mastitis. I also give mom a nice cleaning with a nice warm clean and sanitized cloth, using sterile solution. Make sure pups nails are not hurting her too, they are very aggressive at this age and if the two front paws are not kept trim they will cause small cuts on her teets with their aggressive tugging where bacteria can go to the teet, again causing mastitis.

You can start weaning once they are able to lap up milk from a bowl. Once they do this I wean them off of mom.

Do NOT use the formula stuff because it causes diarrhea! Go to the store and buy fresh GOAT milk instead. It is very expensive but worth it for these puppies! You can use this while weaning and put in the mush you make.

Thank you very much! =D, how would I trim the pups nails?? And just to confirm, so I CAN feed them goats milk while momma is also feeding them.

Here they are!...(left to right)
Mimi, Maia, Bruttus, Stella, Baxster and Emma
photo-7.jpg

Last edited:

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I think too that her milk is richer and more concentrated as the pups get older and they dont need to nurse as much as before they look really healthy to me and dont look that thin. I think mom is doing a great job Yes you can give the goats milk as a supplement to her nursing.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
They look great! As long as they are gaining weight i wouldn't worry about it. As far as clippin nails, just take baby nail clippers and clip the tip of nail.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
They look really healthy. I'll just have to use my imagination on how those puppies must feel. Poor me...:cry:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.