Brachyocephalic surgery?

LolasMom

May 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi all -

I am a new Bully Mom, and don't have much experience with the breed. My baby is about to be spayed and the vet recommended we go ahead and shorten her soft palate and open up her nasal passages. It's not mandatory, but he says it will help her breathing the older she gets. It's expensive too, about $500 on top of the spaying.

Has anyone had this surgery before? Do you recommend it?

Thanks,
Lola's Mom

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have done this for a couple bullies, and if I were you I would have it done at the same time she gets spayed. It will help her breath better in the long run.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree it should be done IF YOUR BULLDOG NEEDS IT. However, many vets will recommend this even if your bulldog has no trouble breathing at all. Ask yourself these questions

Does your bulldog pant a lot and get over heated easily?

Does your bulldog snort excessively? (when not sleeping)

Does your bulldog breathe heavy?

If your answer is no to all I would get a second opinion. As my honest vet once told me, when a bulldog walks through the door most vets think "cha-Ching!"

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We needed to have this done for Nitschke for all the reasons @deskertskybulldogs listed..... and $500 is not a bad price at all, we paid close to $3000

John A

Feb 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sullivan
Just had Sullivan neutered and a palate resection [shortened] done yesterday, and boy does he breath better! Not sure where you folks live, but here in eastern Iowa everything including a parvo booster was $262.50 and our vet is top notch never seen one better!

John A

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I agree it should be done IF YOUR BULLDOG NEEDS IT. However, many vets will recommend this even if your bulldog has no trouble breathing at all. Ask yourself these questions

Does your bulldog pant a lot and get over heated easily?

Does your bulldog snort excessively? (when not sleeping)

Does your bulldog breathe heavy?

If your answer is no to all I would get a second opinion. As my honest vet once told me, when a bulldog walks through the door most vets think "cha-Ching!"

totally agree with the above.. our first vet said the same thing and Duke doesn't even snore and does not have a hard time breathing so we opted not too and he has been fine. so ask yourself the above ...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just had Sullivan neutered and a palate resection [shortened] done yesterday, and boy does he breath better! Not sure where you folks live, but here in eastern Iowa everything including a parvo booster was $262.50 and our vet is top notch never seen one better!

John A

You would put them on our recommended veterinarians list. The thread to submit is at the top of Your bulldogs health forum:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.