at what age can a bulldog be tested for allergies

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I honestly think it's time to switch vets!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I did some reading on juvenile cellulitis and it says their limbs are also lame and they are lethargic. Also if you google for images you can see it is all over their muzzle. Can you post some pics so we can see your baby?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
My vet just set up an appointment with a Dermatologist a few weeks ago. We are suppose to go June 25, but I am considering cancelling it. We were taking Cooper because he has bad allergies and his face is red, toes, and scabby back but he is doing better. Now my Gracie is losing patches of hair. But I have noticed where it started is now grown back and she is a red color instead of a fawn. Do you know if bulling lose their hair like that if they are just losing baby hair? Or do you recommend I take her. She doesn't itch or anything it is more her appearance that you notice not her being irritated by it..

it is such a tough call. duke lost his hair also in patches I remember they gave him fish oil.. If I had to do it all over again I would have just had him allergy tested from the get go.. he is allergic to wool? who would have thought.. but she is so young?? It woudn't hurt to take her and might make you feel a lot better?

OP
swalesfcc

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I really do not think the daignosis of puppy strangles (juvenile celulitus) is what she has. she does not have joint pain, loss of appetite or lethargic. She just has pink face neck and itchy paws! I agree that I am going to start looking for a new vet. :( I will try to post some pictures, I am new at this lol! 2012-06-12 14.26.27.jpg2012-06-12 14.26.02.jpg

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I really do not think the daignosis of puppy strangles (juvenile celulitus) is what she has. she does not have joint pain, loss of appetite or lethargic. She just has pink face neck and itchy paws! I agree that I am going to start looking for a new vet. :( I will try to post some pictures, I am new at this lol!View attachment 22337View attachment 22338
Bless she looks so fed up,karen

OP
swalesfcc

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I woke her up to take pictures lol, she really loves her afternoon naps!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I really do not think the daignosis of puppy strangles (juvenile celulitus) is what she has. she does not have joint pain, loss of appetite or lethargic. She just has pink face neck and itchy paws! I agree that I am going to start looking for a new vet. :( I will try to post some pictures, I am new at this lol!View attachment 22337View attachment 22338

Hi and welcome to the site. It looks like Bella has some seasonal and maybe food allergies. My boy was allergic to rice (and twenty other things) and that is what his face looked like till we got the test done and rice out of his diet. Earthborn is a good food, try one of their grain free and try to avoid chicken as many bullies have issues with it (my girl is highly allergic to it). You can benedryl/Zyrtec .. 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day.

Good luck on the vet search and be sure to check our list of member recommended vets.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
it is such a tough call. duke lost his hair also in patches I remember they gave him fish oil.. If I had to do it all over again I would have just had him allergy tested from the get go.. he is allergic to wool? who would have thought.. but she is so young?? It woudn't hurt to take her and might make you feel a lot better?

I know I am thinking about it, but she will be 10 months tomorrow. I'm just keeping a close eye on it and trying to make it to August when she turns one for the allergy test.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aww bless look at her sweet face!! A couple of things you can start with is wiping her face after each meal and water, bowls should be washed and dried in between feedings, salmon oil is great for the skin and coat, good old teenager acne pads (just the generic ones) on her face. That would be all strictly home remedy type stuff you can try.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
ok, got back from the vet and he looked in a book...... and said she had Juvenile celulitis? he put her on prednesone and Ceftpodoxime> Vet said that the earthborn holistic was not good food? I am thinking it may be time to start looking for a vet that knows more about bulldogs. He does not believe it is allergies even tho I told him that this is very common for bulldogs. He disagreed lol! Has anyone elses bully been diagnosed with the above conditon? I do not want to give her medicine that will not help her.

The prednisone will surely help but you don't want to keep her on it long term. I am not familiar with the second medicine.

OP
swalesfcc

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Update on Bella:
i gave her one zyrtec last night and this morning her face looked soooooo much better! I guess my vet may be wrong about allergies (he said that her face was not an allergic reaction). I will not be giving her the perscription pills that he had me buy but will continue the zyrtec until she turns one and I can find out what she is allergic too and try to avoid them. Thanks for all of your help. I knew I would find better information here than at my vets. I will be changing vets soon :} thanks again!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update on Bella:
i gave her one zyrtec last night and this morning her face looked soooooo much better! I guess my vet may be wrong about allergies (he said that her face was not an allergic reaction). I will not be giving her the perscription pills that he had me buy but will continue the zyrtec until she turns one and I can find out what she is allergic too and try to avoid them. Thanks for all of your help. I knew I would find better information here than at my vets. I will be changing vets soon :} thanks again!

That is great news! If you do find a good bully vet, please recommend them in the thread in bulldogs health. And don't forget to take some new pics so we can see how it's working!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.