Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: at what age can a bulldog be tested for allergies

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: at what age can a bulldog be tested for allergies

My male bulldog Wilson (at 3 years) has had the blood allergy test done and on his list of foods he's allergic to it also revealed an allergy to grass and weeds. So now that I've got the food right he still has itchy paws...so I have to wash and dry them often. Especially between the toes you must thoroughly dry because they can get those inter-digital cysts as well as more itchy yeast. When they chew their paws they are also adding their saliva and moisture which just contributes to the problem. This season the allergens are pretty bad and he is experiencing a lot of eye goopies but I just keep wiping them away with just water and cotton balls. I also use moisturizing eye drops on one eye and his problem eye gets an ointment called Optimmune provided by vet. He's had ulcers on that eye and cherry eye surgery on it too! Your pup is obviously experiencing allergic reactions to something. Pink all over sounds like it might be a food issue. Try changing cleaning products to "green" or hypoallergenic products to eliminate possibilities. I use "white bottle" hypoallergenic washing detergents and fabric softeners. I don't use harsh smelly cleaning stuff but simply green products. My vet said the skin allergy test was more accurate but more expensive and I believe it requires shaving some of your dogs fur to put allergens on the skin (not sure about that so hopefully someone can elaborate on the process) and your vet may propose allergy shots once the results are back and of course there is the cost. but I opted not to do the allergy serum shots and felt with the blood allergy test results, it gave me the info I needed to work with. Eliminated pork, venison, lamb, oats, wheat, potatoes and sweet potatoes but the grass allergy is something that is obviously much more difficult to deal with. Not all vets do the allergy test. Surprisingly my bulldog vet doesn't! I had to go to my back up vet. As soon as your pup gets to a year have the test done. I think it's worth it, otherwise it's hit or miss. Also I'm trying to avoid steroid shots which give quick relief but are not good for them in the long run causing secondary problems like diabetes. So I try to put off any of those shots until the problem has become too extreme for even my diligent care.

My female bully BabyGirl is allergic to sweet potatoes and yams and I found out because after a few bites and Thanksgiving, her face swelled up and she couldn't breathe very well so off to the vet we went. Other than that though she has not shown any reactions to anything else. Whatever Wilson eats all my dogs eat so there is no problem there. They are currently on Natures Logic Beef. Keep up the good fight with the allergies. These bully babies are worth it!

P.S. Forgot to mention, depending on what company does the tests the best accuracy it could give me was 65%.
    Last edited by Fontanafox; 06-11-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swalesfcc View Post
    ok, got back from the vet and he looked in a book...... and said she had Juvenile celulitis? he put her on prednesone and Ceftpodoxime> Vet said that the earthborn holistic was not good food? I am thinking it may be time to start looking for a vet that knows more about bulldogs. He does not believe it is allergies even tho I told him that this is very common for bulldogs. He disagreed lol! Has anyone elses bully been diagnosed with the above conditon? I do not want to give her medicine that will not help her.
    Hi there and welcome. Duke has severe allergies and is on a regimen that works well. I wouldn't try to find a vet that specializes in bulldogs I would try to see a dermatologist but in any case find a new vet..I would also get a 2nd opinion before you start on all of that medicine.. we took Duke to a dermatologist who was able to help us after a full year of trying everything under the sun!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie Mae "The Diva"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuke View Post
    Hi there and welcome. Duke has severe allergies and is on a regimen that works well. I wouldn't try to find a vet that specializes in bulldogs I would try to see a dermatologist but in any case find a new vet..I would also get a 2nd opinion before you start on all of that medicine.. we took Duke to a dermatologist who was able to help us after a full year of trying everything under the sun!
    My vet just set up an appointment with a Dermatologist a few weeks ago. We are suppose to go June 25, but I am considering cancelling it. We were taking Cooper because he has bad allergies and his face is red, toes, and scabby back but he is doing better. Now my Gracie is losing patches of hair. But I have noticed where it started is now grown back and she is a red color instead of a fawn. Do you know if bulling lose their hair like that if they are just losing baby hair? Or do you recommend I take her. She doesn't itch or anything it is more her appearance that you notice not her being irritated by it..

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I honestly think it's time to switch vets!!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I did some reading on juvenile cellulitis and it says their limbs are also lame and they are lethargic. Also if you google for images you can see it is all over their muzzle. Can you post some pics so we can see your baby?

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GRACIE11 View Post
    My vet just set up an appointment with a Dermatologist a few weeks ago. We are suppose to go June 25, but I am considering cancelling it. We were taking Cooper because he has bad allergies and his face is red, toes, and scabby back but he is doing better. Now my Gracie is losing patches of hair. But I have noticed where it started is now grown back and she is a red color instead of a fawn. Do you know if bulling lose their hair like that if they are just losing baby hair? Or do you recommend I take her. She doesn't itch or anything it is more her appearance that you notice not her being irritated by it..

it is such a tough call. duke lost his hair also in patches I remember they gave him fish oil.. If I had to do it all over again I would have just had him allergy tested from the get go.. he is allergic to wool? who would have thought.. but she is so young?? It woudn't hurt to take her and might make you feel a lot better?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

I really do not think the daignosis of puppy strangles (juvenile celulitus) is what she has. she does not have joint pain, loss of appetite or lethargic. She just has pink face neck and itchy paws! I agree that I am going to start looking for a new vet. I will try to post some pictures, I am new at this lol!-2012-06-12-14-26-27-jpg-2012-06-12-14-26-02-jpg

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

I really do not think the daignosis of puppy strangles (juvenile celulitus) is what she has. she does not have joint pain, loss of appetite or lethargic. She just has pink face neck and itchy paws! I agree that I am going to start looking for a new vet. I will try to post some pictures, I am new at this lol!-2012-06-12-14-26-27-jpg-2012-06-12-14-26-02-jpg
    Bless she looks so fed up,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

I woke her up to take pictures lol, she really loves her afternoon naps!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi and welcome to the site. It looks like Bella has some seasonal and maybe food allergies. My boy was allergic to rice (and twenty other things) and that is what his face looked like till we got the test done and rice out of his diet. Earthborn is a good food, try one of their grain free and try to avoid chicken as many bullies have issues with it (my girl is highly allergic to it). You can benedryl/Zyrtec .. 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day.

Good luck on the vet search and be sure to check our list of member recommended vets.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie Mae "The Diva"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuke View Post
    it is such a tough call. duke lost his hair also in patches I remember they gave him fish oil.. If I had to do it all over again I would have just had him allergy tested from the get go.. he is allergic to wool? who would have thought.. but she is so young?? It woudn't hurt to take her and might make you feel a lot better?
    I know I am thinking about it, but she will be 10 months tomorrow. I'm just keeping a close eye on it and trying to make it to August when she turns one for the allergy test.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Aww bless look at her sweet face!! A couple of things you can start with is wiping her face after each meal and water, bowls should be washed and dried in between feedings, salmon oil is great for the skin and coat, good old teenager acne pads (just the generic ones) on her face. That would be all strictly home remedy type stuff you can try.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads