Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hair Analysis...anyone else had this done?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hair Analysis...anyone else had this done?

Quote Originally Posted by Meggs19 View Post
    I see what you are saying now, @desertskybulldogs. You mean that a poor food/diet can cause a weak immune system and make it more difficult for the dog to fight the allergy symptoms? I do credit our food choice with not having to deal with any issues with Tonka's coat or yeast infections in the folds or ears etc. Tonka does shed and he does get some bully acne but that's fairly normal even on a good food isn't it? He is on the Fromm Beef Fritatta. We switched him to that from Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish and didn't notice any difference in his allergy symptoms so I believe most of his allergies are environmental. So if our dogs are on a high quality food/supplements, and still suffer from bad allergies is that just our bad fortune? It doesn't mean they have a weak immune system, correct?
    When we had the blood allergy test done on Tonka at around 8 months or so, he showed no significant numbers for food allergies. His highest numbers were environmental. I know the shots wont keep him from developing new allergies to environmental factors potentially or wont completely get rid of his current ones but I do hope they will help with and lessen his symptoms to his current major allergies and decrease his sensitivity to them. These are some of the most common/prevalent allergens present in the environment so hopefully this will help him out. Our dermatologist told us if the shots work it could prevent his allergies from getting worse. I guess we would just have to hope he didn't develop new environmental ones then. He's been through all the different allergy seasons now since he's 11 months old so hopefully he's been exposed to everything out there and had the chance to react.
    Yes I think at 11 months you are safe at getting an pretty accurate test. Your food choice is great, and since Tonka did not show any severe allergies to any ingredients it is very good.

Other things to consider is contact stuff (carpets, doggie beds) and shampoo. Those are two things many owners don't think about that can actually be the source of all their woes.

I use a antibacterial/antifungal shampoo now, I have noticed a huge difference in how long between baths and smell. Also laundry/bedding should be done in Free and Clear detergeants and fabric softeners. Facial problems (chin acne, facial redness) could be toys that need cleaning, plastic bowls, dirty water and bowls, plastic or rubber toys, anything that goes into or around the mouth. Also water left on the fur after drinking.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

@desertskybulldogs Thank you for the market gift, first of all! Second, I will have to keep an eye on any food reactions Tonka might develop in the future since we had his blood test done when he was about 8 months so although it showed nothing significant at the time in the way of food allergies, I guess in the future it could always happen since he will be older. On his environmental skin test he was allergic to 15 different items though, yikes! Our vet said most dogs react to 8-10 items and that Tonka is definitely an allergy bully! We do use an organic/chemical and perfume free laundry detergent on his bedding and our bedding and we did get the antibacterial/antifungal shampoo as well and you are right, that stuff is awesome! He smells so good...and for a very long time!! I've noticed less dander too. I think I need to give some of his toys a good washing and that might help with his acne--he does have the stainless steel bowls and I do try to wipe his chin after he gets a drink although he hates that! Thanks for the info.!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I had this done to Usko awhile back and got a list of things that he is allergic. Have avoided them the best I can (automobile exhaust is difficult to avoid totally in the city). I haven't noticed any difference, but then again he hasn't had any real problems, maybe just the tear stains that bug me. I just got the results for myself. I don't have any signs of allegies, I never have had any. Getting older and feeling crappier sometimeshappens. One thing the test says is that I'm allergic to DOGS and beer! I have lost my faith in the test, sorry guys. I'm just lucky I have a BULLDOG.
    Last edited by RiiSi; 06-14-2012 at 06:49 AM.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I think the only way to REALLY KNOW is to do that expensive skin test thing like they do on people. Outside of that, watching EVERY MORSEL that goes into the dog and paying very close attention is the best one can do. In my journey with these two, at one point they were eating ONLY VERY LIMITED INGREDIENT Duck/Potato food with actual duck meat mixed in for the gravy. That's it. Nothing else. Not a morsel. It's "starting from zero". Their shampoo, laundry detergent, drier sheets --- all hypoallergenic. Each time we went in the house, it was a complete wipe down. I was desperate to find the trigger and I don't know that I have yet but I had to start from zero to get anywhere. The best guess I have is environmental because of all of the above. Grass. Bo's tummy looked fabulous yesterday morning and after a romp in the park, in the freshly cut lawn, he's spotted again. Bea too. They both had to have a benedryl. So do I keep them out of grass? No way. They're dogs! They love grass. I just try to keep Bo from eating it -- as he can graze like a cow sometimes and I wipe, wipe, wipe and wipe with hypoallergenic baby wipes. (Pampers "one and done" Aloe Cucumber smell good too as a bonus). It's all I can do until I can easily spend the 600-800 bucks -- and the myriad of visits -- that the doggie dermatologist wants to do skin tests.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Ok ...so I just got Schultz's results back from this UK lab (actually forgot I sent off a sample) as I'm still consumed with Coccidia at the moment..... I sent it off thinking for the price any information might be helpful, Schultz's dermatologist here in Ohio does not think hair or blood analysis tests are very accurate but I thought what the hell ....we'll see......it can't hurt.....all the info I sent was Schultz's gender, dob, breed, and some hair..... What came back was interesting to say the least......#1 report indicated non vertebral misalignment Coccidia (what....how can anyone get that from a hair sample? Makes me think rest of report might have some value) #2 Schultz's report indicates several foods that he maybe allergic to that he gets regularly - it will be easy to test by cutting them out of his diet no more carrots and sweet potatoes for a while #3 most of the stuff on his report he doesn't come into very regular contact and that makes me feel a little better.....
    my gut tells me to support the immune system with the best diet I can manage and limit exposure to known allergens to keep his reactions under a threshold point....once I get this Coccidia under control and I will...his immune system will straighten out.....
    I was curry brushing Schultz yesterday and thought to myself he's looking really good and while he scratches and licks here and there it's not out of control ....I'm interested in seeing if subtracting carrots and sweet potatoes from his diet makes a difference with that.....oh and he's apparently allergic to mosquitoes (who isn't?) it a good thing someone here on EBN reminded me to stock up on Avon's skin-so-soft! Ha ha....knowledge is power that's why I love this place!

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads