Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Analysis...anyone else had this done?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hair Analysis...anyone else had this done?

Quote Originally Posted by Meggs19 View Post
    We are hoping to build an immunity with the allergy shots so that he no longer has reactions to some of the strongest environmental allergens out there. I sure hope they work for Tonka! Our dermatologist told us that most allergies in dogs are environmental and that food allergies are only responsible for a small percentage of allergies in dogs. He said that everyone thinks the food is the primary issues and that's a misconception among dog owners. However, the food can seem like the issue if the dog is allergic to something in the way the food is processed or handled as well. For instance, Tonka is allergic to the "dust" that is from the grains used in dog foods so he is on a grain free food. I never even thought of that, so that was eye opening. The skin test the vet gave us is strictly environmental since for food allergy testing they just do food trials. I think food can seem like the culprit more than it actually is although i'm sure many dogs do have some sensitivity to the ingredients in the foods themselves and not just the processing etc. I really hope the hair test can at least give you some ideas or a place to start, @Lily122511!
    I agree with your vet BUT.... what causes allergies are a low immune system. If your dog is on a lousy food or eating a protein that does not digest well, then the immune system is compromised causing more issues with allergies. So finding the right food for your dog can make all the difference in the allergy world. Also the right food helps promote healthy SKIN and COAT.... two of the biggest sufferers of allergies. So yes most allergies are environmental (I agree).... but the right food can help your dog battle those allergies. The wrong food, your dog stinks up a storm, itches, gets skin infections and yeast.... ect. I have seen hundreds of bulldogs lives change because of switching from bad food to good food. And most of them never needed allergy shots and many even stopped using benedryl.

Furthermore, your vet may be speaking of dogs in general as a whole. I have not seen one bulldog on EBN get an allergy test who was not allergic to not one, but about 10 foods.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

When Annie started itching at 12 months old which is usually the age allergies appear she was on a high quality kibble,I thought it was the kibble I never thought about allergies as I had never owned a bulldog with any problems let alone constant itching,I started raw feeding so I knew what she was eating she got a very well balanced diet with all proteins,but still itched,I had the holistic test done as it tested for more allergens than the vet test,it's a very good test,allergy shots do sometimes work but unfortunately once a dog gets an allergy it usually goes on to develope different allergies,they cannot be cured I'm talking about environmental not food,food at times can be an easy problem to fix by simply trying different foods ,the hair test picked up 37 allergens in my bulldog and the vet said how extensive it was ,I believe that if annies allergies were food and perhaps a couple of environmental then she would still be here but she just had too many for her body and mind to deal with,so yes I would go with the holistic hair testing it's cheap and very accurate,karen

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    When Annie started itching at 12 months old which is usually the age allergies appear she was on a high quality kibble,I thought it was the kibble I never thought about allergies as I had never owned a bulldog with any problems let alone constant itching,I started raw feeding so I knew what she was eating she got a very well balanced diet with all proteins,but still itched,I had the holistic test done as it tested for more allergens than the vet test,it's a very good test,allergy shots do sometimes work but unfortunately once a dog gets an allergy it usually goes on to develope different allergies,they cannot be cured I'm talking about environmental not food,food at times can be an easy problem to fix by simply trying different foods ,the hair test picked up 37 allergens in my bulldog and the vet said how extensive it was ,I believe that if annies allergies were food and perhaps a couple of environmental then she would still be here but she just had too many for her body and mind to deal with,so yes I would go with the holistic hair testing it's cheap and very accurate,karen
    I'm really looking forward to getting the results back. Waiting is the worse part. I just sent the hair out yesterday.
    So the food allergies usually start at around 12 months? She was on Fromms beef but she still has been licking & biting her paws and rubbing her chin & face the whole time on the Fromms.
    I always wipe her down and clean her paws when she came back in from outside but still she would lick & bite.
    That's why I was thinking it was food issues but I just don't know.
    I am switching her over to Earthborn meadow feast. And I don't give her anything but her kibble.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    It seems to me that allergy testing is a grey area and different vets have different opinions. For the price of the hair test that @karenben told us all about I would do it. You have nothing to lose from getting these results and trying to take out stuff that shows allergic reactions to. Who knows ..... it might just work, or at least improve the situation!!!
    That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I need some answers here.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Not necessarily, pollens can cause skin reactions by contact, so it is more of a contact allergy but hopefully your pup will build up antibodies that will fight seasonal allergies. So what your puppy may be having a reaction to now she may not have a reaction to it next year. The best thing is to blog or write down dates that your dog is having issues, then next year you can compare.

Unfortunately with bulldogs the reactions get worse as they get older, but the right food can help make the immune system stronger, thus creating antibodies needed to ease seasonal allergies. I hope I am making sense?

It does make sense. The whole time she was biting & licking & rubbing she was on Fromms beef. That's what I don't get. I know Fromms is a great food.
    That's why I was thinking it was a food issue.
    I am now switching her to Meadowfeast but I don't even know if it is the food.
    I just feel so clueless.

I always wipe her down after she comes in from outside but she still would still lick & bite & rub. Even after a bath.

I've tried everything I can think to help fix the issue.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

if its one thing ive learned having a bully is that most of them have food and environmental allergies. more environmental for sure but if you can get them a food that is good and has nothing they are allergic to in it then you have building blocks for a better dog. for them to be stronger to fight the environmental allergies. sarah was a mess of yeast till i had her tested and now i have her on a food that she is not allergic to and she is getting better. do we still have to give her benadryl and zyrtec yes as she has outside allergies but it is no where near the amount as before. her yeast is also going away slowly. i give her a probiotic and vitamins at the moment also. so for some dogs yes getting an allergen free food is a cure and some no as they have other allergens as well that are environmental but you can have a better dog to start with if your not putting something in their body to hurt them to begin with. just my opionion.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lily122511 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to getting the results back. Waiting is the worse part. I just sent the hair out yesterday.
    So the food allergies usually start at around 12 months? She was on Fromms beef but she still has been licking & biting her paws and rubbing her chin & face the whole time on the Fromms.
    I always wipe her down and clean her paws when she came back in from outside but still she would lick & bite.
    That's why I was thinking it was food issues but I just don't know.
    I am switching her over to Earthborn meadow feast. And I don't give her anything but her kibble.
    Have tou considered raw feeding?,there are a few here that do and they do it very well,you will get help and support ,I raw fed Annie for 14 months but it turned out she was allergic to spelt and rye which is what most farm animals are fed here in the uk,so I was actually putting allergens back into her!,allergies full stop usually appear between 1 and 3 years,food allergies are far more easy to control in my opinion,when you get the test back take your time studying it ,take in all the allergens listed and remember that if for instance your dog is allergic to wool then even wearing a wool jumper will affect him,if allergy to chicken then even beef handled by hands that have previously handled chicken and those hands are not washed thoroughly then the beef will be tainted by chicken at it will affect your dog,you are in for the long haul,I have to also say that allergies cannot be cured just maintained this I have been told by vet and holistic practitioner so all you can really do is maintain your bulldog and get his immune system as strong as possible ,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

I see what you are saying now, @desertskybulldogs. You mean that a poor food/diet can cause a weak immune system and make it more difficult for the dog to fight the allergy symptoms? I do credit our food choice with not having to deal with any issues with Tonka's coat or yeast infections in the folds or ears etc. Tonka does shed and he does get some bully acne but that's fairly normal even on a good food isn't it? He is on the Fromm Beef Fritatta. We switched him to that from Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish and didn't notice any difference in his allergy symptoms so I believe most of his allergies are environmental. So if our dogs are on a high quality food/supplements, and still suffer from bad allergies is that just our bad fortune? It doesn't mean they have a weak immune system, correct?
    When we had the blood allergy test done on Tonka at around 8 months or so, he showed no significant numbers for food allergies. His highest numbers were environmental. I know the shots wont keep him from developing new allergies to environmental factors potentially or wont completely get rid of his current ones but I do hope they will help with and lessen his symptoms to his current major allergies and decrease his sensitivity to them. These are some of the most common/prevalent allergens present in the environment so hopefully this will help him out. Our dermatologist told us if the shots work it could prevent his allergies from getting worse. I guess we would just have to hope he didn't develop new environmental ones then. He's been through all the different allergy seasons now since he's 11 months old so hopefully he's been exposed to everything out there and had the chance to react.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sirrius
    Likes (Received)

I just recieved my results back from Holistic remedies and posted them up. Check them out and see if it's something of interest to you. Everyone seems to have different opinions of what's good, better or best. Allergy testing is a very gray area it seems. I'm not sold on any form of testing really, results can be interpenetrated/skewed etc... Good, Bad or ugly I hopefully got some answers that can at least point me in a direction.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BulldwgR56 View Post
    I just recieved my results back from Holistic remedies and posted them up. Check them out and see if it's something of interest to you. Everyone seems to have different opinions of what's good, better or best. Allergy testing is a very gray area it seems. I'm not sold on any form of testing really, results can be interpenetrated/skewed etc... Good, Bad or ugly I hopefully got some answers that can at least point me in a direction.
    All the things we thought Annie was allergic to got flagged so I believe the test is as accurate as it gets and a lot was flagged that I would never have thought of and most of them I was feeding her regularly!,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

When you are sending in your hair samples for the tests, where are you sending it? Is it a local place or is there a place that will accept hair samples from out of state etc.? I am thinking if it's reasonable (price-wise) that I may have one done just for comparison purposes. I have had the blood test and the skin test and I would be very curious to see how they compare and check out similarities and differences. If it turns up similar items as the big allergic items on my other tests, that would really be some good confirmation!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@Meggs19 i just bumped up the post in this section that has the link to the site. its have your bully allergy tested for 35 english pounds or something like that. its in the uk i believe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads