Thyroid?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I've been to the vet for Bruin's skin and I'm pretty sure he has allergies..but, on both his sides there is a lot of hairloss. Like bald and a path the size of my hand with absolutely no hair. I asked the vet if that was seasonal alopecia and she said yes...but it's not growing back and it's been steadily getting worse over the months...so I'm starting to wonder if he has a thyroid problem. He's certainly lethargic, but I can't tell if that's just him being a bulldog (he does have little bouts of energy here and there)

What do you think? Something I should look into more? If you have Seasonal Alopecia, doesn't the hair eventually grow back?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have no help really but somehow thought thyroid problems were only in girls. What do I know? Maybe more common in girls?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
have you tried melatonin pills to help with the alopecia? You can get them at walmart and give one a day.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION] No I haven't, never heard of that. The vet didn't recommend anything so I figured there was nothing to do for it and it would go away. Will look into that, Thanks!!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
So how does everyone distinguish lethargic from 'just a bulldog'? Is being lethargic one of those things that 'I would just know' if it was happening?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So how does everyone distinguish lethargic from 'just a bulldog'? Is being lethargic one of those things that 'I would just know' if it was happening?

I would think you would know. Things seem off, like not getting up when called, no activity or playing, and of course the "help me I dont feel good" look...

It can be the small stuff that may be out of the ordinary, like when you move rooms they do to but not lately, perhaps not eating, drinking, as much as usual. They seem uninterested and indifferent.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ace my old dog who passed had been on thyroid pills for years. Lethargy is one of the main symptoms. If the thyroid is off a dog can also be hyper. The only way to tell is to have a six panel thyroid test done to see what his T levels are at. I dealt with Thyroid issues with Ace for nearly 10 years. You do have to have them occasional retested to make sure they’re dosage is where it needs to be. If it’s too high it can make your dog act like a black cat on a Halloween night, spooked at everything. But when the thyroid is level, they’re normal.

Hope that helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.