LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman
Hi,

I am new to this forum so if my questions can be found by link please post. I have a 6 month old english bulldog AKC/CKC registered.
A few days ago we started to notice a wheezy cough , so took him in and then he started throwing up. The vet said he had aspiration pneumonia. So after the vet put him on iv's for a entire day she made a laundry list of all the things that is wrong with my dog. I am just looking for opinions and truth , I am unaware of how bad these things are if they are at all..
He has stenotic nares
Intestinal hernia
Brachycephalic Syndrome
Hypoplastic trachea (his throat is a little smaller than the average pup)

She talked somewhat down on him and said she highly recommends neutering , so he cannot breed.
All input is very appreciated .

Thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ouch.... you may want another opinion, but she's right about the breeding. Genetics is huge is this breed. I think all those things can be corrected surgically, but you may want get another opinion, hang on someone who knows better will be along soon

OP
L

LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman
Ouch.... you may want another opinion, but she's right about the breeding. Genetics is huge is this breed. I think all those things can be corrected surgically, but you may want get another opinion, hang on someone who knows better will be along soon

OK thanks , are these bad traits? I was told the hernia is common and stenotic nares is just a old bulldog trait he has great bloodlines on both sides and his parents haven't had any medical problems..is it just mine?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK thanks , are these bad traits? I was told the hernia is common and stenotic nares is just a old bulldog trait he has great bloodlines on both sides and his parents haven't had any medical problems..is it just mine?

let me see if I can get some one to reply on here. I'm not familiar with any of those things, hang tight.

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hi and :welcome: I tend to agree with Sherry about seeking a second opinion. Preferably from a vet who is recommended as a Bulldog experienced vet. I think most bulldogs have those issues to some degree, not to mention the allergies. But it really does depend on the severity if anything needs done or not.
If after a second opinion your bully presents with all these issues though, it is better to neuter and not pass on the traits.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I'm not an expert and can only speak to my own bully "Dublin" I did months of research before settling on a breeder and was more than comfortable with my choice. Then, like you the "problems' started. First she had Demodactic Mange which is passed on from mom to pup. 16 weeks of meds and then she was fine. Next, the breathing. It was so terrible our friends would cringe when we took Dublin by to visit and this was before she was 9 months old. My Vet, Dr. Koch ( you will see his name mentioned in other sections of this forum) is a Bulldog "expert" and diagnosed Dublin with all that you mention above except the "intestinal hernia" He said she had the smallest trachea he had seen in a Bulldog in over 30 years. We had to have the soft palate and stenotic nare surgery ASAP. She had a very rough time pulling through the surgery and it was very scary, but we had no choice her breathing was so bad. the surgery didn't fix the whole problem, but her case was extreme. She is a lot better though. She has every kind of seasonal allergy and we have to watch her carefully. Remember, I spent months looking for the right breeder, and after all that the breeder stands by her standards and says when you purchase a bully you have to be prepared for any or all of these to crop up. Of course, I totally disagree as there are many healthy bullies out there. Having said all of that, the breeder's "big claim to fame" was that she bred for personality and she got that 100% right. Dublin is loved by all who meet her and is the most sociable dog you could know. She is invited everywhere and and then invited back :-) I wouldnt' change her for the world. I wish though that her health was better for her own quality of life. We love her no matter what. All of the issues you mentioned above can be addressed to some extent. The love you give your bully is the most important thing in his life and doing what you can within your means to help him medically is all you can do. Do make an attempt to contact the breeder and pass on what your Vet has said. Be prepared for the response I received but you never know. Keep us informed as to where you go from here. I highly recommend neutering in any case. You may be able to combine other procedures at the same time as that surgery. It should save you money and it will mean less anesthesia for Tillman. You can private message me if you want any details about the surgeries that Dublin had.

OP
L

LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman
OK , hey thanks a lot. This is very helpful..he is going to another vet tomorrow. I am located in Jacksonville,NC and have not found any Vet's that have a lot of bulldog experience alone , so I guess it is hit or miss but we are going to try a few new vets this week and hopefully find a good one. I called the vet of the parents and he said he would check Tillman out for free he has several of his own..but that is several hours away.
Thanks again for the help.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks so much [MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION] I knew that someone had just gone through all this, I just couldn't remember who.. God Bless, you said it best.

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
OK , hey thanks a lot. This is very helpful..he is going to another vet tomorrow. I am located in Jacksonville,NC and have not found any Vet's that have a lot of bulldog experience alone , so I guess it is hit or miss but we are going to try a few new vets this week and hopefully find a good one. I called the vet of the parents and he said he would check Tillman out for free he has several of his own..but that is several hours away.
Thanks again for the help.

Tom and I are in Greenville, NC and we drive all the way to Cary, NC...there is a bulldog vet there and they are wonderful !!!! Cary, NC is about 1 1/2 hours from us so it would be about hours for yall....Just a thought !!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi and welcome to EBN. I'm sorry to hear your bully's having some issues. I wish I could add more than what's been said above but I really don't have a clue on these health issues. I too agree though that a second opinion is necessary. Please look around your area and out of your area for a vet that's experienced with bulldogs. If you can find one he/she will be invaluable as this breed is so much different than any other as I have learned with my two. Sounds like @Dubbiedog has some experience here. Have you looked at our Bulldog Vet Remmendations page yet? There's one vet listed that's from NC. Is that close to you? My vet is listed on here too and he's subperb! Keep us updated please.

Here's the vet list. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ecommended-english-bulldog-veterinarians-166/

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Tom and I are in Greenville, NC and we drive all the way to Cary, NC...there is a bulldog vet there and they are wonderful !!!! Cary, NC is about 1 1/2 hours from us so it would be about hours for yall....Just a thought !!!
That's the one that's on the list I see too. :up:

OP
L

LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman

Could you tell me the name of this Vet ?

OP
L

LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman
OK, that is about 2 1/2 hours away from me..
So..I am just curious if these traits are common ? How many bulldogs have these problems and should he be bred? I am looking for honest thoughts and opinions , my feelings will not be hurt. No reason for me to breed him and make other owners go through this and have awesome dogs go through a struggle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online