Opinions?

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Welcome to EBN. The small trachea is a problem that cannot be fixed. He may have trouble breathing if he overexerts himself. The stenotic nares and the hernia can be fixed. I don't know anything about breeding so the experts will chime in soon.

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
yeppers thats the one...they are sooo nice there also....

The doctor we use is Dr. Gerding but he is leaving to the state animal hospital to become a eye surgeon...but there is still others there and they are wonderful...he took care of Gunny and is now taking care of Sarge and Lou Lou will be going there to get fixed....they monitor everything there blood pressure, oxygen levels and a whole lot of other things that the normal vets dont do when they are put to sleep....They take their time when the exam our lil ones....they do really good there..When and if you go there once you turn left onto Kildaire you will have to go down a lil bit and turn around cuz there is medium in the middle of Kildaire and you cant turn left into the parking lot....

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
thanks so much @Dubbiedog I knew that someone had just gone through all this, I just couldn't remember who.. God Bless, you said it best.

It was such a difficult time and so hard to hear all of the things that were wrong and I had not found this forum at the time :-( I was so angry at the breeder but in the end I had Dublin and she is such a huge part of our lives that I wouldn't be without her. The trachea issue is not something that can be fixed and it is a life long problem in that she does throw up and gags a lot ( which can be awfully scary) which means I have to be very careful about the size of the food that she puts in her mouth or even a toy that starts off the gag reflex. She is just so gorgeous and smart that it makes up for all of the things we deal with on a daily basis. Hey, she swims and is a huge boating enthusiast.. ( just look at her picture :-) ) She has a very good life and hopefully a very long one too....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Many vets will try to discourage breeding, and in your case I feel your vet is correct.

The first thing I ask the vet to check with each puppy is those things. Check the hips (want them tight!) nares and pallet. You don't want to breed if your bully has difficulty breathing, which it sounds like it does. Here is a great reference to read http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dog-snoring-snorting

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Nothing to add really BUT def get a 2nd or even a third opinion if you feel uncertain with your vet. Trust your gut and stick to it. Also, that drive may be huge BUT it is so worth every penny and minute to make sure your baby is taken care of properly. If 2 1/2 hours is what it takes to get a good vet so be it. They are tough to come by in the bully world. I have been to many and some that are bully vets still are not my favs. Just like with your own dr make sure you are comfortable with them since they are the ones who will be taking care of your little one. Sorry I cant help on the diagnosis more. Welcome to the family by the way. Probably missed an introduction but in case I didnt we love pictures. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK, that is about 2 1/2 hours away from me..
So..I am just curious if these traits are common ? How many bulldogs have these problems and should he be bred? I am looking for honest thoughts and opinions , my feelings will not be hurt. No reason for me to breed him and make other owners go through this and have awesome dogs go through a struggle.

We needed to have all the breathing issues with Nitschke and he came from great bloodline, unfortunately it is part of the breed and is very common. However, we have Banks from the same breeder and she has none of the breathing issues - doesn't even snore. I also have a French bulldog and it appears he will need the breathing surgery, we rescued him but know that the original owner paid $3000 for champion line.

OP
L

LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman
It has been awhile since I posted , Tillman is going strong! Luckily I was walking him one day and ran into a bulldog owner who is a vet tech at a local Vet Clinic and the Vet there has 2 EB and loves them. Took Tillman , she said he is in excellent health. He still has the problems I posted before but no where near as bad as the first vet ( at bandfeild ) said.

Although he has been a bit of a pain this last week. He is starting to grown up ( balls drop ). Things he runs the house. Even still the coolest dog ever!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Great news..... thanx for the follow up report. And :smileywelcome: to EBN.:)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:smileywelcome: and I'm glad that you have already received such great advice!!! I agree that you should certainly not breed him, and that you should get him neutered too.

Would love to see some pics of him!! :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.