Allergy Testing

LittleLulu

Jun 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi, I don't have a bulldog but I have a Boston Terrier named Lulu who has severe allergies. I found this forum while doing a search on yeast and have been looking through the threads. So many of you have gone through this as well so I was wondering if I could as you a question because I don't know where else to turn. I'm hoping Lulu could be an honorary Bulldog for a day. :D

I've gotten Lulu allergy tested and since then she's improved a ton, but she still has yeast issues. The food I am feeding is Wellness Simple Solutions Salmon & Rice. I don't like it because it has too much carbs for the yeast but it's the only one she's not allergic to. Now Wellness changed their formulas and I have to find something for her to eat. She's allergic to flax, alfalfa, peas, oats, venison, lamb and can't have potatoes or sweet potatoes because her yeast got worse on those foods. I would love to try a low carb food like Nutrisca or Nature's Variety Instinct to try to reduce the yeast but she's allergic to those too.

I feel like my options are too limited by her allergy test results! I've read a LOT about how these tests are not accurate for food and am tempted to try giving her some peas etc. to see if she's allergic but I'm terrified of making her blowup in yeast again. Has anyone here done a food trial to find out if your dogs were indeed allergic to the foods to rule out false positives?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont have any experience with this but [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is our food guru :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:welcome: lulu!!! We love all dogs so please join in.. Allergies are no fun no matter what breed of dog you have. I will double check your post and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] knows food ingredients so well she may have a solution for you. Also we would love to see your lulu :). Pics please?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just re-read your post, a lot of those are the same as what [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]'s Sarah is allergic to, she surely can help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I had my dog allergy tested and they gave me a list of dog foods I could buy based on the results of the test. Did they not give you such a list? My dog is allergic to lamb, venison, pork, oats, wheat, potatoes and sweet potatoes but there was no mention of flax, alfalfa or peas otherwise I would recommend what my dog eat which is Natures Logic Beef but the 11th ingredient is Flaxseed. :ohwell: Stay tuned for more input from others.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok [MENTION=5052]LittleLulu[/MENTION] i so apoligize but i have to go to a graduation so i cant say what id like. i only found one kibble sarah could eat and it was one of the great life kibbles. would have to look it up later on which one. also i feed sarah canned food as it has no carbs really and is great for yeast. just find one with nothing they are allergic to. the 95% ones are good for that. also i feed sarah vital essentials freeze dried raw food. its very good food and they have real raw to if your into that. i have a blog called no kibble for sarah which i chronical all this in the blog section. there are like 7 of them so you would have to scroll back a page or two if you want to read it. also malaket shampoo or some antifungal shampoo twice or 3 times a week and i soak sarahs feet while im bathing her. get the wipes to for in between as the feet need it every day. jock itch or athletes feet meds work the same so you can get one of those at a drug store. if their is itching put some hydrocortisone on it also. a probiotic to boost the immune system. just a people one at the drug store will do or you can order some better ones. fish oil is good for the immune system also. you can buy that at the drug store to or grocery store. ok well ive gotta run now but will check in later. sorry

OP
L

LittleLulu

Jun 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks for your replies!! I did get a list of foods with the test but they were very few and contained potatoes or sweet potatoes. I've read your blog, cowsmom. It is very informative and I was thinking about trying one of those 95% canned foods, like Dave's, at least temporarily. I like Dave's because it has added vitamins and is more affordable until I figure out what I'm going to do. I'm so glad your sweet Sarah is doing better and I hope she continues feeling better. :)

Here's a pic of my Lulu, she's my 5 year old Boston Terrier. She looks so much better now! A year ago she was nearly bald and was very red. She looked terrible. I'm not sure how this pic stuff works, I think it will get bigger if you click it..
luimage1.jpg

I have her on Salmon Oil and Probiotic Miracle. Both helped a lot! I will try those wipes you mentioned also. Her main problem is her ears. They are still itchy even though they look perfect inside. Zymox helps a lot, but it never ends. Talk to you guys soon, I'm so glad I found this forum!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I have nothing to add except I LOVE bostons and yours is adorable! Hope you get some help here, you have the best helping so that is good. ;)

OP
L

LittleLulu

Jun 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you, cali~jenn. :) I'm loving this board so far! I'm also a member of the Woof Boston Terrier forum but there's not many there that have the issues that Lulu has with yeast so I have to stalk your forum. lol. I've been using the "search" the past few days and there's a wealth of information. Your dogs are adorable too! I just love these flat faced, bully breeds SO much! I wish I had more dogs, but my Lulu and her allergy issues are expensive! :cry:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you, cali~jenn. :) I'm loving this board so far! I'm also a member of the Woof Boston Terrier forum but there's not many there that have the issues that Lulu has with yeast so I have to stalk your forum. lol. I've been using the "search" the past few days and there's a wealth of information. Your dogs are adorable too! I just love these flat faced, bully breeds SO much! I wish I had more dogs, but my Lulu and her allergy issues are expensive! :cry:
aw well i so hope lulu gets better soon. if you need more info or have any more questions just ask. i to have boston terriers also. there are pics on my profile. lulu is adorable and welcome to the forum :welcome:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Not only expensive but tiring trying to figure it all out. Ebn does have a great amount of info with some wonderful people so please stick around all you want. ;) Maybe your next will be a bully. :lol:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Late to this but so glad you got the help you asked for .............. and don't worry we'll just pretend that Lulu is a bully!! :p:hahaha:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here's a pic of my Lulu, she's my 5 year old Boston Terrier. She looks so much better now! A year ago she was nearly bald and was very red. She looked terrible. I'm not sure how this pic stuff works, I think it will get bigger if you click it..
View attachment 22275

I have her on Salmon Oil and Probiotic Miracle. Both helped a lot! I will try those wipes you mentioned also. Her main problem is her ears. They are still itchy even though they look perfect inside. Zymox helps a lot, but it never ends. Talk to you guys soon, I'm so glad I found this forum!!

LuLu is adorable.... you got some great advice form the gang so I hope she continues to progress in a positive way!

OP
L

LittleLulu

Jun 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks, guys!! So I'm not going to "test" her food allergies yet. When my bag of Wellness is gone, I'm going to probably put her on Dave's 95% canned and see if there's improvement. I will stick around if you don't mind (cuz I love this board and all the cute bully faces) and I will post my "bully's" :tongue:progress in case anyone else goes through this.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Yes please stick around. My third dog Louie is part Boston Terrier (he's in my avatar pic) so I have a love for them too. Louie has never had any problems in his four years except this season he's developed very itchy eyes I'm assuming from environmental allergies and for some reason bitey bugs seem to love to nosh on my Louies tender undersides, I guess he lifts his leg to pee too many times near the bushes so I guess he's asking for it. :lol:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.