FLEAS?!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I swear..if it's not one thing, it's another with Tonka lately. I would love a break from the issues!

This past Sunday I saw what I thought was a speck of dirt on Tonka's face and went to wipe it off and noticed it was a little bug which I thought then flew away. I didn't think anything of this. Then, yesterday when I got home from work I found 5 or 6 of these little brown bugs on Tonka!!! I was immediately alarmed as I knew they were fleas. I tried to pinch one between my fingers to see and it then jumped away so I knew it was. I was so confused...we have Tonka on Frontline Plus which he gets every month! He can't possibly have fleas!

I called the vet and he said that Tonka should be protected given he's on the Frontline. I know if a flea or tick gets on your dog while on that med, it can take up to 18 hours for it to drop off your dog and die. The thing is, I was home earlier in the day on my lunch break and had Tonka out for a bit but I didn't notice anything on him at that point..just later when I got home. Is it possible they had jumped on him and were hiding? I live in an apartment building that allows all dogs and I am almost certain that he picked up the fleas from the hall/stairwell or outside.

These had to have come from someone else's dog, right? Someone that doesn't have their dog treated and is now the "host" to these parasites? I know once the dog gets overloaded these fleas can drop off the dog and be in the environment. Since I found those fleas on him yesterday I have combed through him several times and examined him like a hawk after every trip outside. Last night I washed all his bedding and vacuumed the whole downstairs area. I know our place isn't infested, I have never seen a flea around and I carefully inspected all our furniture, bed, Tonka's kennel area etc. Nothing other than the few on him.

Do you think they hitched a ride on him when we were outside or in the building common areas? They can't be breeding on him if he's on Frontline, correct? Plus, since the one I saw sunday and the few I found yesterday I have not seen anymore. I called our property manager and he will be having pest control come and check the building soon.

Ugh! I am so disgusted and creeped out! I HATE bugs!!! I want to protect my poor Tonka too! I am just a little worried since last we were at the vet (3 weeks ago) I think they weighed him wrong. They said he was only 43 pounds and when we went today they said he was 48. So we had given him his Frontline just a couple weeks ago and it was for the weight range that maxes out at 44 lbs. which I thought was OK yet since he was 43. Is it possible that dose of Frontline we gave him a couple weeks ago is ineffective if he is a few lbs. over the weight range for that Frontline packet now? The vet said it's a good sign that the fleas were all on the surface of Tonka's fur (and not in the skin by the blood source) since that usually means maybe the Frontline is working/repelling them.

Thoughts on this? Do I have to worry about the fleas getting in my place fully and possibly munching on my boyfriend and I since Tonka is treated? Ick!!!!! I'm itchy just thinking about it. I'm also angry at whoever has an untreated pet in my building!

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
I had the same problem and found out from our vet that there are some fleas immune to frontline so we switched to advantage and we've had no problems since. Also, and I know this is not an option for you, but we asked our pest control company to add flea control to the mix when they treat our property. That has worked so well that now we only use the flea control in the summer.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
They're only really visible when they're on the white part of your dog. He could have gotten them anywhere outdoors where other dogs are really. Wear a pair of white socks around your apartment and building if you think they're coming from in there. They'll jump on your socks and then you'll know where they are and whether to treat or not.

I know a lot of the flea meeds don't actually repel the fleas...they just kill them if they bite your dog. We don't use any flea prevention but I spray the skin so soft spray all over Abby and rub it in good every few days and it keeps away all bugs...haven't seen a flea yet.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Unfortunatly fleas can live outdoors as well...they can drop off of squirrels or rabbits (or dogs and cats of course). So it's possible he picked them up outdoors as well. I would plan a good chunk of the day doing something away from home with Tonka and set off a flea bomb in the apartment. Then wash all the bedding and vacumn the carpet.
It's a holistic type treatment but we use a lemon juice water mix for flea prevention here...and it's worked in all the time we have had our dogs.

Good luck, those little buggers are a pain!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Frontline, from what I have been told by a couple of vets, is the main one that fleas have gotten immune to. I use confrotis (one pill for fleas, heartworm, and parasites).

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you are concerned there are fleas in your home, find out by setting a flea trap! It's easy, it's fun and requires NO CHEMICALS. Here's all you do:

1) Place a small lamp on the floor. The shorter the lamp, the closer the bulb will be to the floor = that's the goal.
2) Darken the room. No other lights should be on.
3) Please a small shallow pan or flat bottomed bowl of water next to the lamp. There should be a good inch of water in there at a minimum.
4) Go to bed. My dogs sleep in kennels so I just shut the doors so they can't disturb the lamp/bowl set up.

In the morning, you will know whether or not you have fleas as they will have jumped into the pan and drowned. Keep doing this until you get zero body count.

It works!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
just got my refill on advantage multi *sigh* it stinks but it works. i think even the smaller dose would have worked that month

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thanks everyone! I haven't seen anymore on Tonka and have not seen any in our place either. I have bug "radar" and can always spot them but I will have to try the "trap" just in case! I also have been inspecting Tonka carefully after we are outside the apartment....which he hates and chews on my wrist/arm gently as I try to inspect. :) I will look in to switching brands for Tonka's next dose too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.