Need advice; major has the manges!

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
20120603_155010.jpg

We just found out after bringing him to the vet that he has Demodectic Mange. Vet said that we caught it early but he seems to not be getting better. It's his 6th day of medication and we are due to come back for another checkup June 18th. Should I be worried that he has another patch of hair missing even though he is taking medicine? The name of the medication is Ivermectin. In the picture, he just got the skin scrape exam to test for the manges so that's why it looks so red, but before that the area was pink. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks, and he is still healthy and eat like a pig :)

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
and would [h=1]Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo help him with this problem?[/h]

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Belly had mange also when she was a puppy. We had her on Promeris , which has Ivermectin in it. It took a few weeks until I started noticing she was getting better. The vet wanted 2 negative skin scrapings before she could have her spay surgery.We went once a month.They initially gave us goodwinol and that did nothing. You should be good with ivermectin

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Dem is caused by a poor immune system . It allows the mites that are naturally on a dog to get out of control causing mange. I would look at what you are feeding and also add some supplements to help boost his immune system. Continue with the meds .I have seen in some cases that frequent bathing does help/ off some relief . Duoxo will not kill mites it might prevent a secondary infection .however it can dry the skin out. Maybe rotate between that and a great soothing oatmeal shampoo. Also Relax it is a common thing especially among bulldogs. I have seen terrible cases of it in some foster dogs ( i used to manage a dog daycare that took in fosters.) His case is very very mild.

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Petee had Demodectic Mange als @ about 3 months of age (he is 6 months now). I used Pyoben Shampoo and gel that the Vet prescribed. Also Cephalexin antibiotic. I already was changing his food from Eukanuba puppy to a high quality food- Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free) and Alaskan Wild Salmon Oil. I swear by the high quality food and supplements. It really helps their immune system. That's how mange occurs- the immune system is compromised. Listen to the members on here. They gave me a lot of advice. It worked- Petee has had his second negative skin scraping! Skin has healed and fur spots are growing back! I did not use Ivermectin. Since the mange was mild, my Vet wanted to try something more mild then using other toxic drugs since he was a pup-unless we had too. Good luck!

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Emmitt is just now recovering but it took him like 2 mths to finally stop losing hair.. We are doing the dip every two wks and this Saturday will be his last!! Thank god! His hair is finally growing back but I would think 6 days is too soon for it to be completely gone but that's my opinion. He will probably lose more hair in diff spots. Emmitt had A LOT of spots missing but it bothered me more than him! Hope for a speedy recovery!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I havent dealt with mange so I dont have any advice. Just hope he gets better soon!

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
His Royal Thickness Sir Buddy 'Harely' & Eva (RIP)
Eva had the mange as well. She was treated for a couple of months before we started seeing a change. She had those little bumps all over her little body. She was getting dip treatments and we also started treating her with ivermectin when the dips didn't seem to work. The ivermectin seemed to work the best, AND we changed her food to a wheat/grain food ... more expensive, but definitely worth it when it came to her tummy because the dips and medicines were hurting her belly. And the food was supposed to limit the amount of oils generated from her body because that's what those pesky mites feed on. She was improving and almost better by the time of the accident. We didn't get to have her spayed because we were waiting on her to heal up first.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
I'm feeding him Fromm for large dog puppy with yogurts. So should I just keep on with the medicine till couple.Weeks and see if heget better ?
Thanks a lot guys

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
His Royal Thickness Sir Buddy 'Harely' & Eva (RIP)
I'm feeding him Fromm for large dog puppy with yogurts. So should I just keep on with the medicine till couple.Weeks and see if heget better ?
Thanks a lot guys

It sounds like the food you're giving him is pretty good. We talked to a lady at Petsmart who seemed to know what she was talking about and she recommended a certain food. I don't remember what it was now... Stay on what the vet has given you and research the demodectic mange and see if you can find some alternatives or continue asking your vet for alternatives. No dog is the same, so where it took my dog months to heal, it may take yours only a few weeks, or vice versa. There is no way to tell.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Thank guys, will wait till few more Weeks and see if he get any better. Will keep feeding.him the same food.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.