Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeasty paw pads???

Bulldog(s) Names
    Frances and Winnifred or "Winnie"
    Likes (Received)

Default Yeasty paw pads???

So I need to know how to fix these yellow, calloused, smelly, and crusty paw pads that my poor Frances has going on. I suspect yeast and I'm not sure how long the pads have looked like this---I suspect maybe 2 months max bc I'm pretty observant with these things since they are usually right by my head when we sleep. However we have a new baby (not dog,lol) who just turned 5 months old so I have been distracted lately (to say the least). The vet put her on an oral anti-fungal yesterday and said to leave the callouses alone, that they will heal in time...but I feel like I need to do "something"...and I am resisting the urge to pick them everyday. (yes, i'm a picker)
    I'm going to try and attach a photo (wish me luck)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339072202-485997-jpg

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Oh and both of our Bullies have allergies and are on an Rx food. I know many on here are opposed to the Rx foods but it is the only thing that keeps Winnie's skin free of blisters and Frances's skin folds (somewhat) clear. Frances also has seasonal allergies. Frances doesn't lick or chew her paws constantly like with some "yeast" problems and instead of her main issue being redness between the toes (there is some), it's the yellow callouses on the paw pads themselves. Any help/advice much appreciated!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yeasty paw pads???

If it's yeast you're battling you could soak the paws in raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water. You can also add it to their water twice a day to help with the allergies.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I know it has to be yeast. Frances is the yeast queen---right ear (CHRONICALLY infected---the smell makes me gag), tail pocket, nose fold, and now the paws. I feel so bad for her and want to get us on a regime that actually works. She was seeing a dermatologist regularly but at $200/visit with what seemed like no major progress being had, I have had ENOUGH and thought the best place to try to get answers would be here! Thank you for the tip.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Also can soak her feet in epsom salts mixed in water. And to ebn if I missed your intro thread.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

If you do the 'sniff test' and their paws smell like Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - we handled Gizmo's (minor) yeast problem by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) we have a flat bottomed bowl we use, and make Gizmo stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer - Gizmo's problem kept coming back, well she would be in her kennel, licking her paws -

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiple - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, she tends not to lick them as much!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

lol @ pickle the paws - must tag this thread for future reference.

Thx @RaRett

Good luck getting Frances back to tip top shape!

Cheerio mates!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    If you do the 'sniff test' and their paws smell like Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - we handled Gizmo's (minor) yeast problem by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) we have a flat bottomed bowl we use, and make Gizmo stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer - Gizmo's problem kept coming back, well she would be in her kennel, licking her paws -

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiple - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, she tends not to lick them as much!
    OMG I LOVE THIS POST!!! Grandma says she wants to see pictures of this.

I tell you, next EB I get is going to be named Princess Pickle Paws. I swear to God.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FrancesBaby View Post
    I know it has to be yeast. Frances is the yeast queen---right ear (CHRONICALLY infected---the smell makes me gag), tail pocket, nose fold, and now the paws. I feel so bad for her and want to get us on a regime that actually works. She was seeing a dermatologist regularly but at $200/visit with what seemed like no major progress being had, I have had ENOUGH and thought the best place to try to get answers would be here! Thank you for the tip.
    Poor Frances! I'm afraid I don't have any grand wisdom for you. I have three giant drawers (baskets) full of stuff for these dogs and it all works! hahahahahaha

I am going to give @Twice 's apple cider vinegar (unfiltered) suggestion a try and perhaps pickle some paws in the future. Bea is the only one with this challenge and it's not her paws; it's that tail pocket.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post

the vinegar also changes the pH level on the skin so the yeast can't thrive

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FrancesBaby View Post
    Oh and both of our Bullies have allergies and are on an Rx food. I know many on here are opposed to the Rx foods but it is the only thing that keeps Winnie's skin free of blisters and Frances's skin folds (somewhat) clear. Frances also has seasonal allergies. Frances doesn't lick or chew her paws constantly like with some "yeast" problems and instead of her main issue being redness between the toes (there is some), it's the yellow callouses on the paw pads themselves. Any help/advice much appreciated!

Lots of great advice was given about cleaning/soaking and such..... so, what RX food are they on and have you ever done a full blood screen allergy test ?? Also, my girl has issue with yeast as well... try to stay away from white potato in her food
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Hill's Z/D. Their allergies aren't the same (I know that much) but this is the only food that is kind to both of them. Our dermatologist said allergy testing for foods wouldn't really help (not reliable?) but that food trials would benefit them to ID what food they could have---that was a year ago and Frances's skin has never been "problem free" long enough to attempt a food trial so we could determine food reaction vs ongoing skin condition. It is sad that I haven't got a handle on this yet. My pregnancy was a difficult one and our postpartum recovery has also been very difficult, otherwise I feel I could have figured this out sooner. I have lots of mommy guilt over this bc Frances deserves to have her skin be issue free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads