Yeasty paw pads???

FrancesBaby

Dec 23, 2010
Indy
Bulldog(s) Names
Frances and Winnifred or "Winnie"
So I need to know how to fix these yellow, calloused, smelly, and crusty paw pads that my poor Frances has going on. I suspect yeast and I'm not sure how long the pads have looked like this---I suspect maybe 2 months max bc I'm pretty observant with these things since they are usually right by my head when we sleep. However we have a new baby (not dog,lol) who just turned 5 months old so I have been distracted lately (to say the least). The vet put her on an oral anti-fungal yesterday and said to leave the callouses alone, that they will heal in time...but I feel like I need to do "something"...and I am resisting the urge to pick them everyday. (yes, i'm a picker)
I'm going to try and attach a photo (wish me luck) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339072202.485997.jpg

OP
FrancesBaby

FrancesBaby

Dec 23, 2010
Indy
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and both of our Bullies have allergies and are on an Rx food. I know many on here are opposed to the Rx foods but it is the only thing that keeps Winnie's skin free of blisters and Frances's skin folds (somewhat) clear. Frances also has seasonal allergies. Frances doesn't lick or chew her paws constantly like with some "yeast" problems and instead of her main issue being redness between the toes (there is some), it's the yellow callouses on the paw pads themselves. Any help/advice much appreciated!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If it's yeast you're battling you could soak the paws in raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water. You can also add it to their water twice a day to help with the allergies.

OP
FrancesBaby

FrancesBaby

Dec 23, 2010
Indy
Bulldog(s) Names
I know it has to be yeast. Frances is the yeast queen---right ear (CHRONICALLY infected---the smell makes me gag), tail pocket, nose fold, and now the paws. I feel so bad for her and want to get us on a regime that actually works. She was seeing a dermatologist regularly but at $200/visit with what seemed like no major progress being had, I have had ENOUGH and thought the best place to try to get answers would be here! Thank you for the tip.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Also can soak her feet in epsom salts mixed in water. And :welcome: to ebn if I missed your intro thread.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
If you do the 'sniff test' and their paws smell like Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - we handled Gizmo's (minor) yeast problem by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) we have a flat bottomed bowl we use, and make Gizmo stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer - Gizmo's problem kept coming back, well she would be in her kennel, licking her paws -

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiple - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, she tends not to lick them as much!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
lol @ pickle the paws - must tag this thread for future reference.

Thx [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]

Good luck getting Frances back to tip top shape!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you do the 'sniff test' and their paws smell like Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - we handled Gizmo's (minor) yeast problem by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) we have a flat bottomed bowl we use, and make Gizmo stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer - Gizmo's problem kept coming back, well she would be in her kennel, licking her paws -

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiple - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, she tends not to lick them as much!

OMG I LOVE THIS POST!!! Grandma says she wants to see pictures of this.

I tell you, next EB I get is going to be named Princess Pickle Paws. I swear to God.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I know it has to be yeast. Frances is the yeast queen---right ear (CHRONICALLY infected---the smell makes me gag), tail pocket, nose fold, and now the paws. I feel so bad for her and want to get us on a regime that actually works. She was seeing a dermatologist regularly but at $200/visit with what seemed like no major progress being had, I have had ENOUGH and thought the best place to try to get answers would be here! Thank you for the tip.

Poor Frances! I'm afraid I don't have any grand wisdom for you. I have three giant drawers (baskets) full of stuff for these dogs and it all works! hahahahahaha

I am going to give [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] 's apple cider vinegar (unfiltered) suggestion a try and perhaps pickle some paws in the future. Bea is the only one with this challenge and it's not her paws; it's that tail pocket.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh and both of our Bullies have allergies and are on an Rx food. I know many on here are opposed to the Rx foods but it is the only thing that keeps Winnie's skin free of blisters and Frances's skin folds (somewhat) clear. Frances also has seasonal allergies. Frances doesn't lick or chew her paws constantly like with some "yeast" problems and instead of her main issue being redness between the toes (there is some), it's the yellow callouses on the paw pads themselves. Any help/advice much appreciated!

Lots of great advice was given about cleaning/soaking and such..... so, what RX food are they on and have you ever done a full blood screen allergy test ?? Also, my girl has issue with yeast as well... try to stay away from white potato in her food

OP
FrancesBaby

FrancesBaby

Dec 23, 2010
Indy
Bulldog(s) Names
Hill's Z/D. Their allergies aren't the same (I know that much) but this is the only food that is kind to both of them. Our dermatologist said allergy testing for foods wouldn't really help (not reliable?) but that food trials would benefit them to ID what food they could have---that was a year ago and Frances's skin has never been "problem free" long enough to attempt a food trial so we could determine food reaction vs ongoing skin condition. It is sad that I haven't got a handle on this yet. My pregnancy was a difficult one and our postpartum recovery has also been very difficult, otherwise I feel I could have figured this out sooner. I have lots of mommy guilt over this bc Frances deserves to have her skin be issue free:(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok sarah has has yeast issues for 3 years and only now are going away. things i have learned are that i believe that allergies are key in this. be it food or environmental if you do not remove the allergy then i dont think the yeast will go. also if you are feeding a food that your dogs are allergic to then you will get yeast and the fact that the ear is affected makes me think that food is involved. get your dog allergy tested. sarah has yeast on her paws tp ears on and off and back for 3 years till i got her tested and removed the food she was allergic to and the leaves with the mold she is allergic to. now she is almost yeast free. also yeast feed on 2 things. sugar and moisture. you can use any antifungal otc stuff for this. you know the stuff for jock itch and athletes feet. also lady yeast stuff will work clotrimazole. i have found that for sarah tolnaftate worked the best. i now use malaket wipes and have malaket shampoo that i soak her feet in 2 times a week but in your case id do it more. you can use apple cidar vinegar and water but that did not work for sarah but dont mean it wont for your dogs. i have also found lotrimin powder to be a wonder. its fights the yeast and keep the area dry which is what you want. you can use the malaket wipes in the ear also. i wipe the ear then squeeze the pad to get the liquid down into the ear canal. i dont have to take sarah to the vet anymore for it since ive started doing that. you have to hit this hard. you can give your dog a probiotic that people use. you need to boost the dogs immune system. fish oil can help also and green tea. if you are feeding food or treats with lots of carbs and sugar then i would find something else. gosh i hope all this makes sense and is helpful. i wish you good luck as i know how you feel.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hills Z/D has a main ingredient of potatoes along with potato starch listed as a secondary ingredient. To get rid of the yeast you need to get rid of all those potatoes, the yeast is thriving on it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.