Hydroxyzine & Allergies

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Today, I took both Truman and Linus to the vet because I noticed they were both itchy and I want to be more proactive when it comes to their health.

I was thinking they both may be developing ear infections and Linus had a skin infection (his skin was covered with what looked like tiny bumps and scabs) but the vet I talked to said both were basically suffering from superficial irritation and itching from allergies. I told him that I was using Benadryl and Zyrtec but they still seemed uncomfortable AND I was worried about the allergies getting bad and turning into an ear infection or skin infection.

The vet suggested we try Truman and Linus on Hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine used to control itching and, in some people, nausea. Has anyone ever used this for allergies? It sounds like, if it works, it could be a miracle medication in controlling allergy issues?

He said it was very safe and not hard on the liver or kidneys, so I am hopeful that it will help keep the boys more comfortable.

I will report back and let people know how it goes but I was hoping someone had experience using this to control allergies, specifically during these times when they allergens are really bad.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy takes it twice a day. It has helped her tremendously. I have found that you have to give it daily for it to fully work. Giving it "here and there" won't work as well. At first she was a little drowsy but in a month or so it didn't seem to bother her.

About two years ago we were frustrated here with allergies. Failed allergy shots. Lucy has been on a fantastic food called ziwi peak, hydroxyzine twice a day, fish oil and she hasn't had a bump on her this year even with how bad allergies are this year. I hope your guys do well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I also use hydroxizine when it's needed, but I rarely have to use it so I cannot give a full report. Seemed to really help when Tidus had that hot spot and Molly had that skin infection 2years ago. So upon my limited use I do give it a thumbs up.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was put on this once, and I still use it occasionally when he is out of control with his itching, His reaction was that of one drunken bully!! He laid down after I gave him one and an hour later when I called him he could not even get up on his legs :eek:....

Mine are capsules, so when he gets extra bad itchy, I open the capsule and dump some of the med. out. I think it was way to strong for him. It DID help, but helped by knocking him out. Let us know the reaction that you experience with Linus and Truman. This is only my own personal experience, It may not happen with them. :hug:

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We have had Tonka on this for a while. We gave it to him twice a day and I never noticed any drowsiness with him but then again, he's a pretty energetic little guy. Tonka has horrible allergies though and it didn't fully take care of it for him. He still was itching his face since I saw some reddish raw spots and little scabs from where he continued to scratch a bit. It did help the best out of any of the other antihistamines we tried before it (clemastine, zyrtec, claritan, benadryl). I have also read that other owners had success with it and that it was the "one" that worked for them. It helped us somewhat but like I said, not enough for my little guy so we are doing the opposite as you and going to give the allergy shots a try. I am hoping he will be in the 65% that the shots work for. If not, we will probably continue with the hydroxyzine since it worked the best. We also give Tonka 1000 mg. fish oil capsule each day. I think it's a good choice for you and I hope you have success!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION]...have you tried giving locally made honey? I have heard that it helps but have not tried it. I wonder if because Tonka has some residual issues even with the Hydrox. that it might be a good supplement. Just a thought.

Jil..... Thanx for the info... sounds like it is worth a try.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thanks, [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]! How much honey should be given/how often? Would I get it at a farmer's marketing or something?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanks, @BruceP! How much honey should be given/how often? Would I get it at a farmer's marketing or something?

I would think maybe a farmers market,,,, just as long as it is local bees..... Ive seen WI honey at grocery stores here in Milw. but I never read the label to see where in WI it was from.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Meggs19...have you tried giving locally made honey? I have heard that it helps but have not tried it. I wonder if because Tonka has some residual issues even with the Hydrox. that it might be a good supplement. Just a thought. Jil..... Thanx for the info... sounds like it is worth a try.

It helped Banks a little, but as we were noticing the impact... she developed the colitis and out vet wanted her off it till we got her settled.... :hmm: come to think of it, I should start giving it to her again -- thanks for the reminder :D

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I thought that was what atarax is but I had to google it first so yes, Samson gets one hydroxyzine (an atarax) twice a day, one with each meal and has for most of his life. He gets really itchy and eyes start to water like crazy without it, I asked if there were any potential problems with keeping Samson on it for so long and my vet said no. I've tried other allergy meds and atarax is the only one that works. My vet said just like with people while one allergy med might work great for one dog it may not for another. Oh and my in-laws lab Lucy is on it too and has been for quite a while. Lucy has allergy and skin issues too and it's helped her quite a bit.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.