Question-Blood in stools

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hello!

So for the past few months, I have noticed on occasion (not in every poo) a little speck or smear of bright red blood on Tonka's poop. It's always a very tiny dot or smear or two, never a large amount and never dark/old blood.

He isn't sick or anything and behaved normally, has no diarrhea or vomiting, and isn't going any more frequently than usual so i'm almost positive it's not a parasite. Plus, I did ask Tonka's dermatologist briefly as his last allergy appointment and he said if the stools are "formed" and not like "cowpie" then it's probably nor parasites. The doc wasn't very helpful in that he seemed to want to focus on the allergies and not on this particular issue at the time which I can understand. He did say that this could be irritation caused by allergies though since Tonka has been having increased irritation in the area. He will run and sit quickly or try to reach his butt like something's bothering him back there. The vet said the glands can fill faster and itch more from the allergies but that doesn't explain the blood. He just told me if I was worried to see my regular vet.

Do you think I should schedule a regular vet visit or does anyone have experience with this? I don't know if it's nothing or if I should be more concerned. Could this just be part of the allergy symptoms? I do try to wipe his tail pocket area but that doesn't seem to make a difference and i'm not sure that's even related to the blood. Can anyone help? Thanks!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks gets this too...even the :run and sit quickly or try to reach his butt like something's bothering him back there" it can be from his allergies, glands or straining to go. It does not warrant a vet visit just for that, but next time you are there have him checked. Be sure you are cleaning under the tail and keeping it as dry as you can.

As for the anal glands, you can got to a groomer to have them expressed or ask [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], she taught herself and is damn proud of it. :D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
He will run and sit quickly or try to reach his butt like something's bothering him back there.
Does he moves kinda like someone stuck a hot match on his butt? That's exactly what Wilson had done for months. Then he'd try to reach back there but can't so I would scratch his bottom not knowing that it was his anal glands. I started learning about them here actually. Then I went to YouTube for video. There's a bunch of them and some really good ones too. I plan on writing an article on how to do it. It's really not hard and not any more gross than (excuse me for sounding gross here), than popping a big hard zit. Here's the link to my thread I started. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16036&page=4 Basicially what you do is this. The glands are oval in shape and hard (like the squeeky in a squeeky toy). They're usually at the 4/7 or 5/8 o'clock hour at the bottom of the inside of the bum hole. Use your index finger and thumb to and press on both sides (inside & outside). Go to the back of the gland and press and together your fingers while moving them forward. Gross I know but so dang easy once you get the hang of it and get past the actual act of doing it. Heck what do you think the Vet techs do? Be careful and have a paper towel cause that stinky fish junk will squirt out fast (like a zit getting ready to blow). :ROFL:

@2BullyMama , yep I'm damn proud of it. :laugh:

Wilson's just bit my big toe....:laugh:

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] your whole post had me laughing. I'm not sure I have the confidence to stick my fingers in his bum hole! Every time I just try to clean back there Tonka clamps his little tail down so it's hard to clean and (playfully) bites at me because he probably feel violated! :) That stuff definitely stinks! It's indescribably...like a metallic, garbagy smell. Yuck! Tonka will definitely stand up quick and run and site like something's just stung him. He will get upset and go sulk in the corner sometimes when it happens. He hates it! I really hope the blood is just from irritation back there but I will have to have the vet take a look next time we are there. Could he possibly have a clogged gland? I know last time the groomer that drained the gland said they felt a little hard and that she didn't quite get all of it out. I would have no way of knowing if it were clogged though!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usually these little drops of blood are just from some irritation from the anus and nothing to worry about, but ofcourse the vat can verify that in your next visit. Usko Does his own glands and usually that happens when he is lying next to me on the floor and I'm petting him. He seems to relax so that all losens up and "squirt":bad: happens....

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wilson has some blood on occassion and then it goes away the next time he poos. Sometimes his poop chute gets irritated. After a thorough cleaning I put a dab of vaseline.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - hahahahahahaha

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] - You go girl!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You know I don't know how to tell if they're clogged other than nothing coming out. Probably time to take him to the vet and have him check him out. Your vet could also show you the proper way to do the glands too. :)

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Schultz has had these couple drops of bright blood with a BM a couple of times.....having the anal glands expressed seems to do the trick....I am not anywhere near as brave as @jeannieCO to do them but my vet will....oh, and the last time this happened found out his naughty papa shared popcorn with him....popcorn kernels not the best things to pass...no more popcorn for papa :(

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Oh no! [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION], Tonka will be so disappointed if I take away his occasional popcorn nights. He looooves it! I did have to yell at my boyfriend for giving him chunky peanut butter from time to time that I didn't know about other than seeing the evidence in his poo....I find the whole (undigested) peanuts in his poo and I don't think that helps either! Now he only gets the creamy, all natural kind.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] Did the vet say what the "cowpie" meant? Lilly has had some diarrhea that looks very much like cowpies and when I pick them up I'm noticing blood in them. She's acting normal though and playful. Anyone know what this could be?

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=322]LillyNBruin[/MENTION] sorry for the late response! By a "cowpie" he meant diarrhea basically. Stools that are pure mush and don't have a definite shape to them. If the stools are consistently mushy and diarrhea-like and the blood is there often and bright red, and you notice her going more often etc. you may want to just have the vet screen the stools for parasites/worms. I think Tonka's little blood droplets were just allergy related irritation since his stools were solid and he had no diarrhea or frequent bathroom breaks and the blood was not always there, just occasionally and a very small amount. Make sure the blood isn't tarry or dark though, that can be something entirely different to have checked out!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.