Benedryl

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All! So I posted a few months back some pictures with Winston's poor little face a mess and all these little bumps. I got some great advice and decided to try giving him benedryl to see if it was environmental. It's like a miracle pill! Winston's face looks great and he is not scratching anymore! So we came to the conclusion that it was environmental, but my question is it is it ok to be giving him this everyday? He is about 50 pounds and I have been giving him one a day for a while now, but I am afraid this isn't good for him. I plan to stop giving it to him once the allergies calm down but I know mine are still haywire! This weather is nutty in New England! Any input is appreciated! :)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
hurray!!!!! I am not sure about benadryl I would ask your vet and have his blook checked at your next visit.. We give zyrtec and go to a dermatologist every 6 months for Dukes allergies.. he says it is ok to give one time per day ( the zyrtec )

so happy he is feeling better !!! :whew:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We have been givin lex Benadryl 2 times a day if needed. He gets hot spots on his tummy really bad and will scratch till it bleeds :(. Been doing for a week now and his tummy is back to normal pink instead of blistering red! Yay

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think some do keep giving a small dose as you are, to maintain the allergy's in check. I give mine Benadryl also. 25mg per 25 pounds of dog. Just during the worst of times. Looks like I may be giving as a maintenance too. This season has been awful so far.
I've never heard of any ill affects and my vet thinks its just fine to keep them on it as long as necessary.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Good to hear! There was about a week or so I was giving him 2 a day because they were so bad! Thanks for the advice!! : ) It really does help!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We have been givin lex Benadryl 2 times a day if needed. He gets hot spots on his tummy really bad and will scratch till it bleeds :(. Been doing for a week now and his tummy is back to normal pink instead of blistering red! Yay

I am glad its working for Lex too!! :)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I asked my vet that exact question at our last visit because I feel like I'm keeping him drugged up lol
She said that I could give him 2 tablets 3x a day (I was only giving him one) but since he weighs 53 lbs he can take 2 25mg tablets. She offered a steroid for his itch but asked if I wanted to hold off and keep on with the Benadryl if it's working so I held off.
Think I should get some stock in Benadryl huh?

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
I give my baby 2 benadryll twice a day and have been doing so for a while...he's almost 7. Doughnut had his annual check-up today with bloodwork and he's perfect, but check and do what you feel is right. I'm glad its worked for you!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yes, but I buy a generic brand from Walmart, they come in two bottle size. More then half the price. with multiple's I gotta keep em on hand.

shawni125

Jun 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Henri Wrinkler and Caesar
My Bulldog, Henri Wrinkler is allergic to EVERYTHING. Our new rescue bulldog, Caesar seems to have environmental issues as well. I give them both 2 benadryl each morning and again at night. My vet said to give them 1 pink pill for every 25lbs they weigh. All I can say is that precious pink pill helps my babies stop scratching and clawing and makes them much happier. The other thing I do, on days when they are more phflemy, I get a greenies pill pack and put lemon juice in it and give that to them. It helps Caesar not cough up stuff so much and breaks up the stuff in Henri's throat that makes him contsantly try an cough.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much everyone! He does seem much happier when hes on it! I also have been giving him generic and have stocked up on it! :)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
For me, Benadryl did nothing for Maximus. I now have him on Zyrtec, and I'm not seeing much change with Zyrtec either. All his Allergy testing came back negative,
so I am totally baffled and don't know what to do next ...............................

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with all the other posts.... I give Banks 2 pills 2x a day and our vet said she could get it up to 3x a day. I base it all on the color of her face, eyes swollen/watering ... she is pretty much on it everyday from March - October. We tried Zyrtec for a week last summer and it did nothing for her... back to Benedryl and she gets some relief.

Most Reactions

Members online