Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Thanks everyone for your good thoughts, keep them coming....

Vet just left after spending some time watching Sophie (weim) walk and did a physical exam of her body....agrees something is off in her movements but is not ready to panic (told me I'm not allowed to panic either.....like that's possible lol).....keep watching her and let her rest but if she's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping things are not dire.....tomorrow we administer the horse antiparasitic and wait 14 days to test the poop again.....positives 1. Schultz is not showing any adverse effects, other than his normal itchiness...bullies are tough! 2. Sophie has her normal appetite...in that she loves to eat (even though I've doubled her food and she is struggling to stay at 60lbs - her ideal weight is 64lbs) 3. We don't have diarrhea, we have normal poops that are easily pick up able, to keep the environment as clean as possible and I'm getting damn good at catching it before it hits the ground ...just kidding but it doesn't sit for more than 5 seconds 4. EBN friends that keep my spirits up to find a solution to this problem 5. I'm going to be a Coccidia expert and what I'm learning will help other folks who find themselves with this evil Protozoa .....thanks again for your continuous support.....

Am adding apple cider vinegar to their meals to support immune function and there is some evidence that Coccidia find acids an unpleasant environment to live in....

And another route we are exploring is testing their food for Coccidia (I feed the honest kitchen and Origen and I will go ballistic is their food is contaminated) just saying....

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I hope you find the cause and hopefully it's not the food, but then if it is, that's an easy fix. If it does happen to be the food I would be definitely contacting the manufactures and telling them what has been going on with your dogs and making them pay all the vet bills.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sending positive and healing thoughts from far far away!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs, positive thoughts for a full recovery and prayers

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hoping you find solutions soon!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way that this too shall pass!!!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Geez!! How horrible! This stuff sure is hard to get rid of!! I am praying for your babies! Hopefully this will be it! I hope the apple cider does the trick as well!! You will become the expert on this and you will get to help pups around the worl! I just hope Sophie and Schultz get rid of it soon! Is the vet expecting Sophie to recover? What's the diagnosis?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:begging: I'm so very late to this! I'm sorry! I so hope you can solve this and get it unde control. So many strange parasites for us to worry about. Keep your spirits up..sounds like you've got a great vet and we have to believe!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
**Sending Good Vibes** your way, [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]. How horrible this little bug is!

I'm a bit obsessive compulsive already, but if Grandma saw me out there "washing the yard", I think she'd call the KooKoo Wagon to pick me up.

In listening to your story, it makes me leery of everywhere! How common is this? Clearly, there's no way to "prevent" it. Anywhere there's dogs, there's poo. Ugh. I feel for you and I too would also be worried. (And I'm not a worrier per se)

Hang in there!

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] my neighbors are probably comparing notes as my grass scrubbing has expanded a few yards.....Coccidia in the environment is hard to eliminate it will survive freezing and most detergents....incineration is only sure fire way to clear it out....but incineration is not very practical...lol

I am happy to report that Sophie is walking/moving much better ....may have been unrelated to the previous drug therapy like the vets think and just a kink in her body that needed some rest.....cautiously optimistic.....and continued forced rest....

Today we administer the horse drug.....here's what I know about it

********Newer treatments, such as the equine drug ponazuril (Marquis) are gaining popularity to treat coccidia, but are not currently licensed for use in dogs and cats. Ponazuril has the advantage of a shorter course of therapy because it actually kills the coccidia directly*******

Albon and metronidazole do not kill Coccidia.....they disrupt it's ability to reproduce and the body is supposed to shed the occysts out over the course of so many days....but both Sophie and Schultz's Coccidia have become quite at home in their intestines and refuse to move out.....also there is some feeling that like bacteria these Protozoa are adapting to become resistant to the drugs we have available.....I pray that this horse therapy kills the Coccidia without being too taxing to their systems, my vet likes to remind me that overall both dogs are in great shape as there are no clinical symptoms.....fingers and toes crossed

Then we wait 10 days and check the poop again.....now if anyone can help me with Schultz's compulsion to pick up every dirty nasty thing outside (that might be contaminated) and place it in his mouth I would have a fighting chance....

Bless you all for yours prayers and good thoughts!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] - Awwww! Thanks for the update. I sure hope the horse stuff works! I am awfully glad that Sophie hasn't suffered anything permanent too. Scary.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have heard of using Marquis for coccidia, it is supposed to be the best treatment according to A to Z vet supply. I have a good feeling it will work! :pray:

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Battle Coccidia Update:

We've waited 12 days since the dose of Marquis.....and results of poop test is again a failure (for both dogs) ...there is less Coccidia but it's still there....

Had comprehensive blood tests done last week (for my peace of mind) to rule out any other problems that would account for low immune function...both dogs have absolutely stellar bloodwork, healthy dogs....whew!

My vet has contacted 10 colleagues who cannot remember ever coming across a similar case....my dogs are the first dogs around here that Marquis didn't clear the Coccidia...

Next, step:
my vet called Ohio State this morning before calling me with their bad report....the vet school wants samples of their poop and food overnighted to them tomorrow....surprisingly they are doing these tests free of charge because it's so "fascinating"....will keep you posted

Thanks for hanging in there with me......

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.