Banks .. not drinking any water - suggestions/thoughts

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:pray: Its nothing at all! Im glad you have a great vet that you trust! :hug:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did she drink the broth or juice? Please let us know what the vet says :begging:

Yes.. she drank the apple juice.

I posted the vet call.... two or three before this one

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How are you going to collect a urine sample? Did he say why she would stop drinking? My vet doesnt even know fromm :S

He has no idea why she would not drink unless she was getting her water from somewhere else, on raw or canned food, which is not the case.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
<sigh> I feel so much better! Dr. Rossi and I were on the phone about 15 mins. - he already knew everything and had read the chart notes from our visit on Saturday. He laughed and said, 'OK, as usual you have done everything you can to identify and try to rectify what is happening.' I told him I feel like there is something going on with her and by giving her water in her food and switching to canned food is just covering up something and I'll not find out why she has changed her behavior. He agreed... the plan for the next few days is to let her finish what canned food we have, do not add any water to the food and remove her water bowl. He wants us to get a urine sample without her having additional water this way he can see how condensed it is and determine if there is an underlining issue. He stated there really is nothing from a health perspective that stops them drinking so he is curious and thinks this may tell him something.

Not sure why, but my gut is telling me something is up with her bladder and I hope the heck I am wrong.

Once we have the sample and the can food is done she can go back to kibble and I can add water as needed.

On a side note, he said giving her watermelon was a good call and a great way to keep her hydrated and he loves that she is on Fromm his words = 'great food'.

Thanks to all of you for teaching me and sharing your lessons!!

I'll keep you all posted after we get the results of the urine sample.

I couldnt get on line last night I texted you and didn't hear back and was so worried.. ok good news.. Keep me posted. and ha ha you have to do a urine sample too! :shout:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Keeping my fingers crossed and saying a :pray: that it turns out to be nothing at all. Sounds like you have a really good vet. :up: :hug: to you both Christine!!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
**Checkin in on Banks**

Thanks for the update. I am curious what the urine test will show too - if anything.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Buddy did this once and we took him to the vet. Our vet told us that sometimes they will not feel well and don't want to drink and then because they don't drink will start to feel worse, so he gave him some IV fluid under his skin on his neck, (a camel back as some people will call it) and sent him home. That afternoon he started drinking water and has since then. Our vet just said they will do that sometimes. Go figure. I hope Banks is OK and will start drinking water soon.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
@2BullyMama Buddy did this once and we took him to the vet. Our vet told us that sometimes they will not feel well and don't want to drink and then because they don't drink will start to feel worse, so he gave him some IV fluid under his skin on his neck, (a camel back as some people will call it) and sent him home. That afternoon he started drinking water and has since then. Our vet just said they will do that sometimes. Go figure. I hope Banks is OK and will start drinking water soon.

Yes, once or twice this happened to my weim and the camel back did the trick, hope Banks is staying hydrated.....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Just found this thread ... hoping for an update and praying there is nothing wrong with Banks!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.