Banks .. not drinking any water - suggestions/thoughts

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Canned food tends to hold a lot of water content in it ,banks may be getting enough in the canned food,we tend to forget that they are not like us popping the kettle on for a brew each hour,the canned food will be much like raw ,the dogs get all the fluid they need from it,if he's not dehydrated then he's getting enough fluid,try making some liver broth,simmer a small piece of liver until all the colour has come out of the liver,take the liver out and let the fluid cool,he may drink it and it's very good source of nutrients ,,also try taking his water bowl up and dont put it back down when you feed him,put it down after a few hours but in a different place,karen

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Hate to say this, but is it possible he's drinking from the toilet bowl when no one is looking?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i will be checking this thread through the day to see if there is and update from the vet. :hug: christine [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I too am interested in the outcome with the vet. A couple of days ago I sent a thread about head tremors I have been experiencing with Otis and while going through older threads some noted they found triggers - I have been looking to see what may cause this for Otis and the only thing I can come up with is he doesnt drink a lot of water.

I leave him in the morning and come home and his water has not been touched, he will drink SOME at night but not as much as I'd like to see.

Just from reading comments above I am going to add water to his dry food. I was thinking that because I mix baby food with his dry that he is getting enough water from that but I'd still like to be sure he is getting enough. It's so tough being a parent....lol Always questioning everything.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I too am interested in the outcome with the vet. A couple of days ago I sent a thread about head tremors I have been experiencing with Otis and while going through older threads some noted they found triggers - I have been looking to see what may cause this for Otis and the only thing I can come up with is he doesnt drink a lot of water.

I leave him in the morning and come home and his water has not been touched, he will drink SOME at night but not as much as I'd like to see.

Just from reading comments above I am going to add water to his dry food. I was thinking that because I mix baby food with his dry that he is getting enough water from that but I'd still like to be sure he is getting enough. It's so tough being a parent....lol Always questioning everything.
oh i did not know this i must have missed the thread about otis. i hope he gets better. :hug:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
oh i did not know this i must have missed the thread about otis. i hope he gets better. :hug:

Thanks you cowsmom, pretty scary stuff but glad I found the information on EBN to be confident thats what it is. Had I not been on this site, I'm afraid of what my vet may have come up with and medications they would have suggested and me not knowing would have done what was suggested.

Just keeping close eye and record of it now.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When my Sushi Cat was having issues - or so I thought (turned out to be nothing) - the vet suggested getting one of those water fountain things to encourage drinking. As it turns out, I have a fountain on the deck and a fish tank that he drinks out of - so problem solved. Maybe try that?

I know after a walk, these two want a drink from the hose. If we skip the hose, they'll come in and look at their giant bowl of fresh water and may or may not drink. If it's the hose, it's like a FONT of FABULOUS FLAVOR to them. Funny.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Any updates? I know Banks is very food motivated so why fdon't you add water to her kibble that's wht I do with my guys :) I'll be checking as well for any updates..

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I don't have anything to add to the wonderful suggestions of everyone else...just hoping that everything is okay with Banks. :hug:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh Christine I hope Banks is okay and all is well! Big :hug: to you both! I am here if you need anything :hug:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all... Dr. Rossi works nights on Wednesday's. I left a message at 2:30 - stating it was not urgent, but if he can call me tonight to discuss her not drinking.

I could be making something out of nothing, but she is taking in less than she did when I fed raw :confused: and her :poo: has been REALLY firm for about two weeks, maybe a bit longer. I will feel much better after I talk with Dr. Rossi --- have I told you I love him :giggle:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
<sigh> I feel so much better! Dr. Rossi and I were on the phone about 15 mins. - he already knew everything and had read the chart notes from our visit on Saturday. He laughed and said, 'OK, as usual you have done everything you can to identify and try to rectify what is happening.' I told him I feel like there is something going on with her and by giving her water in her food and switching to canned food is just covering up something and I'll not find out why she has changed her behavior. He agreed... the plan for the next few days is to let her finish what canned food we have, do not add any water to the food and remove her water bowl. He wants us to get a urine sample without her having additional water this way he can see how condensed it is and determine if there is an underlining issue. He stated there really is nothing from a health perspective that stops them drinking so he is curious and thinks this may tell him something.

Not sure why, but my gut is telling me something is up with her bladder and I hope the heck I am wrong.

Once we have the sample and the can food is done she can go back to kibble and I can add water as needed.

On a side note, he said giving her watermelon was a good call and a great way to keep her hydrated and he loves that she is on Fromm his words = 'great food'.

Thanks to all of you for teaching me and sharing your lessons!!

I'll keep you all posted after we get the results of the urine sample.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.