Banks .. not drinking any water - suggestions/thoughts

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK -- so, it has been since last Wednesday that I last remember her being at the bowl. She is 100% herself with the except of not drinking.

I noticed it on Friday so I got a watermelon and was putting ice cubes in the bowl to get her interested. She is still eating, playing, bitching, and sleeping - all normal. Her :poo: has been VERY firm, but she is not straining to go. Being the worry wart I am, I called our vet office on Saturday and they suggested to bring her in as there could be an issue with her teeth or throat. Now mind you, MY vet is off on Saturday so we are seeing one of the other doctor's at the practice.... why did I not listen to my better judgement and wait for Dr. Rossi to be available. Anyway.... Dr. Johnson says Banks is totally fine and he could draw blood to see if anything is going on, but since she is not dehydrated and eating food - he does not see the need for it. I tell him I had been supplementing by giving her watermelon; he makes a face and says 'don't do that - just avoid doing that.' I ask why.... no response. I ask again.. 'just avoid it, it isn't toxic or anything, but I would not do that.' At this point, I lose all interest in what he is saying or suggesting. :angry:

Today, Banks is still not drinking, I am adding water to her food and I put her on canned Saturday night - Fromm Shredded Beef. Her :poo: is still very firm, but all else is normal. I will be calling to talk with Dr. Rossi tomorrow... something just seems not right about this... no drinking at all for a full week? Yes, I know she isn't drinking when we are at work because I fill the bowl right to the rim and Cheli is in his crate.... water is still at the rim when I get back at 4:00.

Thoughts...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Christine, I found this online:

Fortunately, there are a few ways that pet owners can help a dog who won't drink until the dog can be seen by a veterinarian. This will not cure the dog's dehydration in most cases, but these home remedies can help slow the progression of dehydration in the interim.
  • Chicken or beef broth (low sodium) - If a dog won't drink water, he may be more apt to drink a flavored broth. If broth is not available, adding a cube or two of chicken or beef bullion to some water can help a dehydrated dog who's refusing to drink.
  • Clear soups (low-sodium and diluted with water, if possible) - Clear soups like chicken soup can also be more tempting when a dog refuses to drink water. It's important to ensure that any soups offered are free of onion or garlic, as onion and garlic are toxic foods for dogs.
  • Clear juices (non-citrus) - Offering some non-citrus fruit juice -- preferably diluted with water -- may work if a dog won't drink plain water. The sugar in the juice can also help combat hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in a dog who's not eating, though in a dog who's eating normally, fruit juice should be avoided due to high sugar levels.

At least she's not exhibiting sx's of dehydration and she'll be seeing her own vet tomorrow. Keep us posted!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well whats puzzling to me is if she hasnt drank in a week why is she not dehydrated? i know sarah hardly drank when she was on canned food. she must be getting it from somewhere. i will be awaiting to see what the vet says. ive got nothing at the moment dear but :hug:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh no Christine, I hope Banks is ok overall. That seems very weird that she's not drinking. I wouldn't think it's the teeth since she's eating. Any chance there's water outside that she's getting? I don't have any suggestions either I'm sorry to say. :hug:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you tried anything other than water? Apple or cranberry juice?

I added water to the watermelon and gave her about 2 cups of 'watermelon juice'.....

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] .... no chance of anything outside, no puddles or bodies of water within her reach.

I am totally dumb-founded

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Christine, I found this online:

Fortunately, there are a few ways that pet owners can help a dog who won't drink until the dog can be seen by a veterinarian. This will not cure the dog's dehydration in most cases, but these home remedies can help slow the progression of dehydration in the interim.
  • Chicken or beef broth (low sodium) - If a dog won't drink water, he may be more apt to drink a flavored broth. If broth is not available, adding a cube or two of chicken or beef bullion to some water can help a dehydrated dog who's refusing to drink.
  • Clear soups (low-sodium and diluted with water, if possible) - Clear soups like chicken soup can also be more tempting when a dog refuses to drink water. It's important to ensure that any soups offered are free of onion or garlic, as onion and garlic are toxic foods for dogs.
  • Clear juices (non-citrus) - Offering some non-citrus fruit juice -- preferably diluted with water -- may work if a dog won't drink plain water. The sugar in the juice can also help combat hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in a dog who's not eating, though in a dog who's eating normally, fruit juice should be avoided due to high sugar levels.
At least she's not exhibiting sx's of dehydration and she'll be seeing her own vet tomorrow. Keep us posted!

Thanks.... I did not even think of broth. I have a box of each too. DUH!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm sure you've tried ice cubes..I can't understand why everything seems fine and it's been days. She is getting some liquid fom canned food but do her gums look ok? I'm mystified and will be waiting to see what Dr. Rossi has to say!

I mean crushed ice...I would even put it in her mouth....see how she swallows it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
What type of bowl is it? Plastic, metal? Anything going on with your water recently? Maybe there's a oder in it that she doesn't like?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] well i know we had discussed the firm poo and adding water to the diet so did this happen before or after you had started giving her more water in her diet? if after then she maybe getting all she needs from what your doing. im just throwing stuff out there. i know raw feeders dogs drink less and sarah drinks very little when she has lots of canned food with added water. i will be awaiting to see what the vet says dear.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What type of bowl is it? Plastic, metal? Anything going on with your water recently? Maybe there's a oder in it that she doesn't like?

I thought of this to... so I switched to a ceramic from the stainless. No go.

@2BullyMama well i know we had discussed the firm poo and adding water to the diet so did this happen before or after you had started giving her more water in her diet? if after then she maybe getting all she needs from what your doing. im just throwing stuff out there. i know raw feeders dogs drink less and sarah drinks very little when she has lots of canned food with added water. i will be awaiting to see what the vet says dear.

It was after.... that discussion made me start paying closer attention to her drinking

I'm sure you've tried ice cubes..I can't understand why everything seems fine and it's been days. She is getting some liquid fom canned food but do her gums look ok? I'm mystified and will be waiting to see what Dr. Rossi has to say! I mean crushed ice...I would even put it in her mouth....see how she swallows it.

Yes , we did ice cubes and no interest. We even used a syringe to squirt the water in her mouth; she does not like it, but she takes it.

If we weren't having the spring weather (rain/ cool) I would be playing with hose with her -- she bites the water stream.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'd try adding some broth. Stig would always drink right after he sees me putting some in his water.

I know some days the boys don't drink water during the day when we're at work. Is it possible that Banks is drinking from Chelli's bowl when her crate's open?

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Wish I was some help, we add water to Kains food so it's moist and after he is done chewing the deer antlers he drinks for sure.

Hope all is well and you figure it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.