Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Oh please do hang in there...it's so tough when it seems like nothing works and your getting hit from all sides....try to focus on the most immediate crisis which seems the skin infection and boosting her immune system ....pm me if your interested in learning about Meridien points on the body that you can massage to stimulate the immune system and organ health....much like the thymus thumping [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] spoke of i would gladly send you the information....it can't hurt and it's not a drug but there is a lot of evidence that it is powerful in helping a body heal......

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I am dealing with itching right now too and here's what I use and what's been working for me:
Our vet says I'm doing good with these options so maybe consider the spray and shampoo for her at least?

HardyPet Complete Vitamins - 2 daily
ChlorHex 2X 4% Spray, 8 oz
Chlorhex 2x 4% Shampoo, 8 Oz.
Benadryl 24mg - 2 tablets 3x a day

Please don't give up you must relax so she can relax - I've read stress can affect their immune system so if she senses your stress and frustration then how can she fight this battle? She needs extra TLC just like you do and that's what we're here for so hoping you find strength and help here and let's get Audrey back to GREAT! Sending love, prayers & lots of bully hugs!!!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I really feel for you guys and I will keep you in my thoughts! I'm sorry you are going through all of this stress. I am going through it too (though not to the degree you are) with my baby too. Tonka scratches up his face til it bleeds and scabs/sneezes/nose drips and scratched his cornea (6 or 7 times now) due to allergies and it's so hard to feel helpless and like you are trying everything. You are doing the best you can and things will improve little by little. You are taking such good care of her and she's lucky to have you. Hang in there!

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Were her poops good on the beed? Why not try that again? Im guessing you tried giving the canned pumpkin too?

I wanted to suggest getting her some shirts to wear to keep her from itching her skin raw...playapup makes some especially for that and theyre antimicrobial...petco sells them online, not sure about in-store....
and maybe try a skin/coat supplement to see if you can get her skin healthy again? drsfostersmith makes some that I used to use on another dog we had and it worked good. Or if you cant go raw maybe try a raw supplement.
I have dealt with mange before also and I know frontline worked for me...
hope she gets better soon.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Oh Sweet Audrey Hepbull! When I see a new thread from you, I always hope it's "the big, good news" that she's well on her way back to puppy-like health again. I actually gasped when I read about the blood all over. I can imagine how frightening THAT was. Thank goodness you are a animal care professional yourself. I'm sure you've seen it all and then some. You've got some additional fabulous advice to the course of action you're already taking. I really love [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] 's suggestions!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I can't add any advice. Just sending out positive thoughts :pray:

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Oh this brings back nightmares!! We went through the same thing! Silly question, but have you had her tested for allergies?

She hasn't been tested for allergies at this time, but the vet thinks she MAY be allergic to chicken due to her violent GI reaction when she was eating chicken. We have been told to act like she is allergic and stay far far away from chicken, just to be safe.

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
I am so sorry that Audrey isn't getting any better :(

Can I make a couple of suggestions? You can ignore me if you like, but I'm thinking you have to get that girls immune system up.

Most important, I would add some coq10 to her diet (2mg per pound of body weight). nuVet suggests thumping the thymus gland (on the chest, dead center between the front legs) 5-10 times once a day. He says this stimulates the thymus which boosts the immune system too.

You could also add some immune boosting fruits and vegetables to her diet (yeah... I went there lol) Oranges, Cantaloupe, Strawberries, Blueberries, Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Bell Peppers, and yes.... Sweet Potatoes :D All of these are high in easily digestible, natural vitamins A, C & B and antioxidants. The bonus would be that the vitamin A would help her skin (maybe even toss a daily vitamin A supplement in there until this all clears up)

nuVet also told me to get one of those thin wire brushes and brush her twice a day to distribute the oils and stimulate blood flow to the skin.

I took Abby off the Ivermectin when she had that reaction to it. I added the coq10, bought the brush and started thumping her thymus and the mange cleared up on its own (she had already been eating those vegetables). I know that Audrey is sicker than my Abby but it's worth a shot isn't it?

We have put Audrey back onto her immune system supplement. It is called CAS Options. It contains coq10 as well as green tea power, medicinal mushrooms, vitamins A and E, and selenium. I also plan to add some of northwest Natural's Veggie Nuggets to her current diet to add additional vitamins/minerals, like you suggested.

Audrey doesn't really have enough hair on her body to brush, but we are using a lotion sorry called MetaCare (Made by Keys) and it contains neem and karanja oils, plus many other natural skin beneficial antimicrobials, anti-inflammatories, etc. She gets sprayed with it twice a day and we rub it into her fur.

I haven't heard of thumping the thymus, but will give it a shot. I need whatever can help us. Are there any YouTube videos on how to do that?

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
If her poops were better on the beef then I would keep her on that for a couple of weeks,before acting a new protein,I wouldn't worry about bone content at the moment it won't hurt her to go without bone for a while until you can figure out what's causing the itching,as she's on so much meds you could try supplementing her with acidophilus to try and put some good bacteria into her gut,I would keep her off any dairy as lots of dogs are allergic to dairy,also chicken and grains,pop a tshirt on her to prevent any secondary infections,nappy rash crem is good for any sores,it's very difficult when you have an itcy dog and very frustrating ,I would go along the diet route before allergy testing as food certainly will cause itchiness,she needs just 1 protein for at least 3 weeks and nothing else not even store bought treats ,this is the only way you will know which food is affecting her,karen

Audrey wasn't doing well on the California Natural Lamb and Rice kibble and canned food, so we switched her back onto a raw diet. We decided to put her onto Stella and Chewy's Raw Food. She is on the beef diet. These raw diets are commercially prepared and the meat is put under thousands of pounds of water pressure before being formed into patties. What that pressure does is bursts any bacteria in the meat. I know normal dogs can easily handle the bacteria in raw meat, but with Audrey's weak immune system this seemed like our best option. She hasn't actually had a bowel movement in the two days she has been on this new food but I am nor concerned. I think it is a good sign that maybe her poop is on the mend. She isn't gassy on this new food and I think we may just stick with this for a while if it works for her.

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not allowed to put the link here, but if you Google nzymes, maybe they could help??? At least the testimonies are impressive.

Thanks for the tip! I will look that up.

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Oh please do hang in there...it's so tough when it seems like nothing works and your getting hit from all sides....try to focus on the most immediate crisis which seems the skin infection and boosting her immune system ....pm me if your interested in learning about Meridien points on the body that you can massage to stimulate the immune system and organ health....much like the thymus thumping [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] spoke of i would gladly send you the information....it can't hurt and it's not a drug but there is a lot of evidence that it is powerful in helping a body heal......

I am definitely interested in the info. Could you please PM it to me?

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
I am dealing with itching right now too and here's what I use and what's been working for me:
Our vet says I'm doing good with these options so maybe consider the spray and shampoo for her at least?

HardyPet Complete Vitamins - 2 daily
ChlorHex 2X 4% Spray, 8 oz
Chlorhex 2x 4% Shampoo, 8 Oz.
Benadryl 24mg - 2 tablets 3x a day

Please don't give up you must relax so she can relax - I've read stress can affect their immune system so if she senses your stress and frustration then how can she fight this battle? She needs extra TLC just like you do and that's what we're here for so hoping you find strength and help here and let's get Audrey back to GREAT! Sending love, prayers & lots of bully hugs!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words. Audrey is currently on Pyoben which is a follicular flushing shampoo (made by virbac). She isn't on a daily multivitamin but I will look into the brand you suggested. thanks! She is on benedryl 50mg 3x a day.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It didn't take me long to figure out these guys here didn't do well on chicken.. shedding, eye goop and mining hair loos on side with dark spot. and one sore ear. scratchiness going on too, took me one an a half week to know that wasn't going be on the menu oh yeah can't forget the loose poohs change to lamb and rice Natural California ,mix some special goodies in there makes it more tasty and interest resting for them 50% ground beef, 25% fresh rew veggies, chopped, carrots, parsley, Broccoli 25% cooked oatmeal,cooked sweat potato or cooked rice..

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Were her poops good on the beed? Why not try that again? Im guessing you tried giving the canned pumpkin too?

I wanted to suggest getting her some shirts to wear to keep her from itching her skin raw...playapup makes some especially for that and theyre antimicrobial...petco sells them online, not sure about in-store....
and maybe try a skin/coat supplement to see if you can get her skin healthy again? drsfostersmith makes some that I used to use on another dog we had and it worked good. Or if you cant go raw maybe try a raw supplement.
I have dealt with mange before also and I know frontline worked for me...
hope she gets better soon.

She is back onto raw beef. As I mentioned above it is Stella and Chewy's brand because that is certified bacteria free raw. She was on a fish oil supplement before the runny poop started. We will wean her back onto that soon.
Thanks for the tips about the antimicrobial t-shirts! She currently has some shirts she wears now, but I will definitely have to check out the antimicrobial shirts!

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Just also wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone for your kind words, suggestions, and support. Audrey is dealing with alot of issues and having people to vent to, who really seem to care about Audrey really makes things a little bit easier to bear.

On a positive (?) note, turns out Audrey DOESN'T have the contagious type of mange (sarcoptic). I found a flea on my other dog, Copernicus, and it turns out THAT is why they have both been so miserable. :( I am pretty upset because Copernicus is on frontline, but it looks like it's not working. I have heard reports in my area that FL+ just doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore. I am going to the vet tomorrow to pick up some Comfortis for them both. We by no means have an infestation going on (thank god!) so hoping this at least makes them both stop scratching!

Audrey is seeming to tolerate her ivermectin and Cephalexin ok. As I mentioned above, still no recent poops so I don't know how that is going, but she hasn't vomitted or had any reaction to the meds.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.