Some days I feel like Audrey will NEVER get better :(

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Where do I begin?

I guess my last update left off with it being a month now that Audrey has had abnormal stools. By abnormal I mean that she has been having soft stools. Somewhat like soft serve ice cream or cow patties. Nothing we have done has helped her. She had been eating Acana Grasslands since January. About a month ago upon adopting Audrey, we switched her to raw (starting with beef). Things were going great for about a week and then when we switched her to raw chicken, the runs began. We then moved her to raw lamb hoping maybe that would help and while her stools improved from pure liquid to soft serve, the never quite got back to normal. So we tried putting her back onto the kibble she was originally on. That did nothing to help so we mixed in some kibble with oatmeal (Acana Singles) into her Grasslands kibble to see if the fiber from the iats would help. It didn't. So then it was on to Hill's I/D canned food. This didn't help at all either so upon her vet's advice we made the most recent switch onto California Natural Lamb and Rice canned food and kibble. It is specifically formulated to be easy to digest and good for skin/coat and digestive issues. So far we STILL haven't seen improvement in the stools though. :(

During this whole process, Audrey has been off her mange medication and skin antibiotics because her doctor felt those could upset her stomach even more. Well in the last week Audrey has begun to scratch herself raw. I cam down stairs one morning and there was blood EVERYWHERE. It looked like a murder scene. It was smeared all ov my carpet and was wiped all along the side od the couch. Audrey had slice marks on the inside od her ears (from her claws) it looked like someone cut the inside of her ears with a razor blade. :cry:.

I called the vet in tears and they said this would not be caused by her demodectic mange. The mites live in the hair follicles and don't bury into the skin like sarcpotic mange, so it rarely itches. They recommended she be seen ASAP. So off to the vet we went.

They did another skin scrape and said there really weren't that many demodectic mites, they did see TONS of bacteria on the slide though. Unsupeisingly, she has a pretty severe skin infection. With her tearing her skin up, the vet is very concerned about a major systemic infection unless we get her on her antibiotics again. She also mentioned she has concerns that Audrey may have SARCOPTIC mange IN ADDITION to the demodetic mange! Can I please die now? :cursing:

She asked if Copernicus (my other dog) has been itching at all. I told her yes, he has been recently but I wasn't sure why. He is on Frontline and has no fleas. I even had the groomer at my work shave him down short (he is a papillon with long fluffy hair) so I could be SURE that he had no fleas because lord knows that is the last thing Audrey needs! Though no sarcoptic mites turned up on the slide, her vet thinks that with as itchy as she is (and Copernicus is) it may be possible that Audrey originally had SARCOPTIC mange many months ago and that the stress on her body from dealing with the sarcastic mange caused her to break out in a DEMODECTIC infestation. With her having been off of the Ivermectin for the last month because of her poop, the mites could have resurfaced. She said because I am giving Audrey 2-3 baths a week (like I should be doing)with a skin flushing shampoo (Pyoben) that could be why no sarcoptic mites turned up on the skin scrape. She said to put my other dog onto Revolution (instead of HG+ as his monthly HW preventative) because Revolution will treat sarcoptic mange......on the off chance that is why he is so itchy. FML! Sarcoptic mange is contagious! To people and pets. She asked I'd any humans in the house were itchy. I said no. NOW I am itching up a storm but I think it's just because I have the herby jeebies.

So long story short, vet said to put Audrey back on her skin antibiotics and ivermectin IMMEDUATELY so she doesn't develop a severe systemic infection. She said to keep her on the California Natural and as long as her poops aren't diarrhea and they are just soft, to let it be for one because we MUST get her skin under control before she develops a severe infection.

Audrey is now on:

Ivermectin (for her mange)
Cephalexin (for her skin)
Benadryl (for her skin)
Ear meds (for her torn up ears)
Eye drops (because of her eye ulcer)
Immodium (for her poop)
Proviable probitoic (for her poop)
Gastroplex (for her poop)

Please keep us in your thoughts and hope she can just get better already! She keeps getting worse and worse. I cried my eyes our when I saw her all bloody and oozing. I just want my sweet angel to get better!

Last edited:
OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Sorry for all the spelling mistakes. Stupid autocorrect.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
oh I am so sorry to read this. Was there any mention of mixing white rice with the C Natural? I am praying for you guys. That's an awful lot of stress. I hope things can settle down for her with keeping her on the same diet and meds for a while.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am sorry that you and Audrey are going through this! I dont know much about this never dealt with it! I just hope things start to get better for Audrey...You have done an amazing job with her. Others will be by to give some advice for you...Good Luck with everything! :pray: for Audrey to get better real soon! :hug:

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Yes, forgot to mention that yes, we will be mixing white rice with the California Natural. 1/2 a cup at each meal.

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
Oh this brings back nightmares!! We went through the same thing! Silly question, but have you had her tested for allergies?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I am so sorry that Audrey isn't getting any better :(

Can I make a couple of suggestions? You can ignore me if you like, but I'm thinking you have to get that girls immune system up.

Most important, I would add some coq10 to her diet (2mg per pound of body weight). nuVet suggests thumping the thymus gland (on the chest, dead center between the front legs) 5-10 times once a day. He says this stimulates the thymus which boosts the immune system too.

You could also add some immune boosting fruits and vegetables to her diet (yeah... I went there lol) Oranges, Cantaloupe, Strawberries, Blueberries, Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Bell Peppers, and yes.... Sweet Potatoes :D All of these are high in easily digestible, natural vitamins A, C & B and antioxidants. The bonus would be that the vitamin A would help her skin (maybe even toss a daily vitamin A supplement in there until this all clears up)

nuVet also told me to get one of those thin wire brushes and brush her twice a day to distribute the oils and stimulate blood flow to the skin.

I took Abby off the Ivermectin when she had that reaction to it. I added the coq10, bought the brush and started thumping her thymus and the mange cleared up on its own (she had already been eating those vegetables). I know that Audrey is sicker than my Abby but it's worth a shot isn't it?

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How long has she been on the new food before the itches started?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
If her poops were better on the beef then I would keep her on that for a couple of weeks,before acting a new protein,I wouldn't worry about bone content at the moment it won't hurt her to go without bone for a while until you can figure out what's causing the itching,as she's on so much meds you could try supplementing her with acidophilus to try and put some good bacteria into her gut,I would keep her off any dairy as lots of dogs are allergic to dairy,also chicken and grains,pop a tshirt on her to prevent any secondary infections,nappy rash crem is good for any sores,it's very difficult when you have an itcy dog and very frustrating ,I would go along the diet route before allergy testing as food certainly will cause itchiness,she needs just 1 protein for at least 3 weeks and nothing else not even store bought treats ,this is the only way you will know which food is affecting her,karen

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not allowed to put the link here, but if you Google nzymes, maybe they could help??? At least the testimonies are impressive.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my goodness i am so sorry to read this. i will certainly be sending positive thoughts your way. prayers from me and sarah.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Poor dears. Her system is getting hit so hard and you are having to witness her misery. Well all you can do is stick to the plan of trying to get her skin under control. One my my bulldogs has grass allergies (itchy paws) and sometimes has soft poo. I find it helps by giving him Psyllium Husk Capsules and Probiotics (capsules) which I buy online. Sounds like you need some hugs too!
b7dadb7a.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.