Limping...Sometimes

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I noticed my girl has been limping on her front left leg from time to time. She acts totally normal, she would chase the ball and run around at full speed and show no signs of pain. The last few weeks we noticed she limps for a few steps but would go back to normal walking. She is an active 50 lb 11 month old puppy but still concerned about the limp.

I checked her paws and see no signs of cuts or infections, I touch her legs and she doesn't yelp in pain. She doesn't limp every day, but some days more than others.

Is this just a growth spurt?, let me know your thoughts. She acts totally fine, eating and sleeping well.

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
When we go for a walk she has to take 5 steps down stairs and she does jump on and off the couch a few times a day.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would limit play for a week or 2 and see if it helps any. Was there ever a big limp like when it first got hurt? Cutty has hurt himself before and eventually stopped limping. This last time he continued to keep the limp up very slightly so it had me take him in. Had a torn acl and when they did the surgery the surgeon said he had damaged his knee before cuz there is arthritis build up. Not sure that having him looked at before could have prevented that tho if it wasnt torn until now.

RAPFOA1

May 28, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Raleigh (born 12/23/11)
I would limit play for a week or 2 and see if it helps any.

+1... I would try this, as its probably just a shoulder strain or something, but if it doesn't get better, I'd get her tested for hip displasia.

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
We never saw a big limp, it's always small and short. Come to think of it, we have wood floors and when we play inside, she slides all over the place, maybe she strained something sliding out. I think we will cut play time down to 2x a week and monitor the progress. When she plays, she goes hard....

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I would limit play for a week or 2 and see if it helps any. Was there ever a big limp like when it first got hurt? Cutty has hurt himself before and eventually stopped limping. This last time he continued to keep the limp up very slightly so it had me take him in. Had a torn acl and when they did the surgery the surgeon said he had damaged his knee before cuz there is arthritis build up. Not sure that having him looked at before could have prevented that tho if it wasnt torn until now.

Torn acl is definitely possible. Bulldogs have a high pain tolerance and tend to mask the pain, I'd have it looked at. Could also just be a sprain though, my Samson sprained his front leg and they just gave him some rimadyl and it healed right up.

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
Torn acl is definitely possible. Bulldogs have a high pain tolerance and tend to mask the pain, I'd have it looked at. Could also just be a sprain though, my Samson sprained his front leg and they just gave him some rimadyl and it healed right up.

Same with Larry... was just a sprain but he was on meds and crate rested for 2 weeks. Was a very rough two weeks, I'll tell you that :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We never saw a big limp, it's always small and short. Come to think of it, we have wood floors and when we play inside, she slides all over the place, maybe she strained something sliding out. I think we will cut play time down to 2x a week and monitor the progress. When she plays, she goes hard....
I wouldnt let any play for a couple weeks. Torture on them BUT better than surgery and no play. We too have tile and they slip and slide too, very unsafe for them but hard to control.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm thinking just a sprain, give her soom rest and limit her play for a few days and see if it gets better. All of mine have done this from time to time when they were younger.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Just last night, Maximus too began limping. His back right leg was the problem. I don't know what happened, but this is the second time this has happened, and the only thing I can contribute it to is him jumping down from the sofa, and he got a slight sprain, but it's always the same leg - the back right. Now today, I do not notice him limping. It's weird, but not pleasant to see when it happens. It could also be from him jumping up onto the sofa (he is 79-lbs, and that is alot of weight
to jump up with)....

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I agree with the others.. Duke does this from time to time.. I have TIME OUT for a week then it seems to be ok.. keep us posted

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I was able to get her to the Vet Saturday. She checked out fine, doc said it just a sprain. He said to keep the running and jumping down for a few weeks and gave us meds for the pain if needed. Thanks for the help guys..

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
My Emma's sister, was limping when she played alot, rest would then relieve that, but it would happen again. Website-"Nuvet" for hips/joint--all natural, started her with 2 a day (eat them like treats) for 3 weeks, now no limping at all, and she runs and plays, she is now taking only (1) a day. Prior to Nuvet, the vet had her on medicine, did not help at all. Vet stated, her hip socket was like putting a round peg into a square hole.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online