Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bland diet ?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bland diet ?

plan on making Cutty some chicken and rice but only have brown rice or quinoi. Which would be less harsh? Quinoi I would think?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bland diet ?

I would say definitely the quinoa. It's gentler on the stomach, easier to digest and has a ton more nutrients than the rice.

Why are you making it? He's not sick is he?

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

No, his tummy hasn't settled since his acl surgery and the vet sent iams canned vet formula. Yuck. Don't think he minds but I think he would do better on bland diet.

Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quinoa is another of those miracle foods. The benefits are HUGE. If it wasn't so damned expensive Abby would absolutely be eating it every day.

Can you maybe slip some slippery elm into his diet for a couple of days? It will settle his tummy.

10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

If I knew what slippery elm was maybe. Lol

Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    If I knew what slippery elm was maybe. Lol

its an herbal supplement. You can buy it at most health food stores. It's a power that you mix with either water or food (I mix it with applesauce). It coats the stomach and intestines so foods are less irritating.

I made a post about it maybe last week? Give me a minute. I'll look for it.

Found it! It was in response to Usko's heartburn http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...l=1#post195610
    Last edited by Twice; 06-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.

10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I'd never heard of "quinoa" before this post. I saw a picture. It looks like oatmeal kind of. Here's what I learned:

Quinoa Nutrition: The most protein of any grain, great source of vitamins & minerals - iron, magnesium, Vit E, potassium, amino acids, fiber - ideal for vegetarian or vegan diets.

Cooking Quinoa: Simple to cook, like rice. Cooked quinoa looks a bit like couscous, but is more substantial and slightly crunchy. Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes cook time

Thanks @Twice + @cali~jenn

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    I'd never heard of "quinoa" before this post. I saw a picture. It looks like oatmeal kind of. Here's what I learned:

Quinoa Nutrition: The most protein of any grain, great source of vitamins & minerals - iron, magnesium, Vit E, potassium, amino acids, fiber - ideal for vegetarian or vegan diets.

Cooking Quinoa: Simple to cook, like rice. Cooked quinoa looks a bit like couscous, but is more substantial and slightly crunchy. Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes cook time

Thanks @Twice + @cali~jenn
    I had only bought it cuz it was another thing Dr Oz told me I needed to incorporate into my diet. Love that man. I am not a huge rice person so we dont eat the quinoa often but have had it a few times. I do think it would make more sense to my mouth if it were in replacement of like malt o meal, it seems to be more that texture. Biglots had a bunch of health foods on sale so I bought some a while back.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @Twice, that is very interesting! Cutty seems to be keeping down his food right now and will see how his water does. Let him have a decent small amount with his breakfast cuz he is just wanting so much to drink. If he keeps this all down then I think he will be ok for water at his demand like usual. Thankfully. Hard to take the water away from him cuz he follows the bowl with his tongue. haha

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks @Twice, that is very interesting! Cutty seems to be keeping down his food right now and will see how his water does. Let him have a decent small amount with his breakfast cuz he is just wanting so much to drink. If he keeps this all down then I think he will be ok for water at his demand like usual. Thankfully. Hard to take the water away from him cuz he follows the bowl with his tongue. haha
    So Cutty Buddy is super thirsty? Have you tried giving him some plain pedialyte? When Samson has been throwing up alot he gets dehydrated of course and always wants to drink alot of water so I take away the water and give him specific amounts of pedialyte. Works like a charm

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TessaAndSamson View Post
    So Cutty Buddy is super thirsty? Have you tried giving him some plain pedialyte? When Samson has been throwing up alot he gets dehydrated of course and always wants to drink alot of water so I take away the water and give him specific amounts of pedialyte. Works like a charm
    Well he was dying of thirst but the anesthesia wasnt wanting any. He was on an iv until yesterday morning so I knew he was ok and then the bland diet had lots of broth so I wasnt worried about it. Was actually going to go to pedialite if he wasnt better by today tho. Thankfully he now has his water bowl back and seems to be ok. Phew. Tomorrow I will start adding some fromm back in with the bland diet then he will be good to go. Aside from him feeling like he is good to go which is a pain in my bootie. He doesnt understand why he is locked in the bedroom and is a barking fool. ugh....

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well he was dying of thirst but the anesthesia wasnt wanting any. He was on an iv until yesterday morning so I knew he was ok and then the bland diet had lots of broth so I wasnt worried about it. Was actually going to go to pedialite if he wasnt better by today tho. Thankfully he now has his water bowl back and seems to be ok. Phew. Tomorrow I will start adding some fromm back in with the bland diet then he will be good to go. Aside from him feeling like he is good to go which is a pain in my bootie. He doesnt understand why he is locked in the bedroom and is a barking fool. ugh....
    Oh good, glad everything is ok! How long is he supposed to be limiting his activity?

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads