Bland diet ?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
plan on making Cutty some chicken and rice but only have brown rice or quinoi. Which would be less harsh? Quinoi I would think?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I would say definitely the quinoa. It's gentler on the stomach, easier to digest and has a ton more nutrients than the rice.

Why are you making it? He's not sick is he?

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
No, his tummy hasn't settled since his acl surgery and the vet sent iams canned vet formula. Yuck. Don't think he minds but I think he would do better on bland diet.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Quinoa is another of those miracle foods. The benefits are HUGE. If it wasn't so damned expensive Abby would absolutely be eating it every day.

Can you maybe slip some slippery elm into his diet for a couple of days? It will settle his tummy.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
If I knew what slippery elm was maybe. Lol

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
If I knew what slippery elm was maybe. Lol

:laugh: its an herbal supplement. You can buy it at most health food stores. It's a power that you mix with either water or food (I mix it with applesauce). It coats the stomach and intestines so foods are less irritating.

I made a post about it maybe last week? Give me a minute. I'll look for it.

Found it! It was in response to Usko's heartburn http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15984&p=195610&viewfull=1#post195610

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd never heard of "quinoa" before this post. I saw a picture. It looks like oatmeal kind of. Here's what I learned:

Quinoa Nutrition: The most protein of any grain, great source of vitamins & minerals - iron, magnesium, Vit E, potassium, amino acids, fiber - ideal for vegetarian or vegan diets.

Cooking Quinoa: Simple to cook, like rice. Cooked quinoa looks a bit like couscous, but is more substantial and slightly crunchy. Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes cook time

Thanks [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] + [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd never heard of "quinoa" before this post. I saw a picture. It looks like oatmeal kind of. Here's what I learned:

Quinoa Nutrition: The most protein of any grain, great source of vitamins & minerals - iron, magnesium, Vit E, potassium, amino acids, fiber - ideal for vegetarian or vegan diets.

Cooking Quinoa: Simple to cook, like rice. Cooked quinoa looks a bit like couscous, but is more substantial and slightly crunchy. Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes cook time

Thanks [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] + [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

:lol: I had only bought it cuz it was another thing Dr Oz told me I needed to incorporate into my diet. Love that man. I am not a huge rice person so we dont eat the quinoa often but have had it a few times. I do think it would make more sense to my mouth if it were in replacement of like malt o meal, it seems to be more that texture. Biglots had a bunch of health foods on sale so I bought some a while back.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], that is very interesting! :D Cutty seems to be keeping down his food right now and will see how his water does. Let him have a decent small amount with his breakfast cuz he is just wanting so much to drink. If he keeps this all down then I think he will be ok for water at his demand like usual. Thankfully. Hard to take the water away from him cuz he follows the bowl with his tongue. haha

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], that is very interesting! :D Cutty seems to be keeping down his food right now and will see how his water does. Let him have a decent small amount with his breakfast cuz he is just wanting so much to drink. If he keeps this all down then I think he will be ok for water at his demand like usual. Thankfully. Hard to take the water away from him cuz he follows the bowl with his tongue. haha

So Cutty Buddy is super thirsty? Have you tried giving him some plain pedialyte? When Samson has been throwing up alot he gets dehydrated of course and always wants to drink alot of water so I take away the water and give him specific amounts of pedialyte. Works like a charm :)

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
So Cutty Buddy is super thirsty? Have you tried giving him some plain pedialyte? When Samson has been throwing up alot he gets dehydrated of course and always wants to drink alot of water so I take away the water and give him specific amounts of pedialyte. Works like a charm :)

Well he was dying of thirst but the anesthesia wasnt wanting any. He was on an iv until yesterday morning so I knew he was ok and then the bland diet had lots of broth so I wasnt worried about it. Was actually going to go to pedialite if he wasnt better by today tho. Thankfully he now has his water bowl back and seems to be ok. Phew. Tomorrow I will start adding some fromm back in with the bland diet then he will be good to go. Aside from him feeling like he is good to go which is a pain in my bootie. He doesnt understand why he is locked in the bedroom and is a barking fool. ugh....

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well he was dying of thirst but the anesthesia wasnt wanting any. He was on an iv until yesterday morning so I knew he was ok and then the bland diet had lots of broth so I wasnt worried about it. Was actually going to go to pedialite if he wasnt better by today tho. Thankfully he now has his water bowl back and seems to be ok. Phew. Tomorrow I will start adding some fromm back in with the bland diet then he will be good to go. Aside from him feeling like he is good to go which is a pain in my bootie. He doesnt understand why he is locked in the bedroom and is a barking fool. ugh....

Oh good, glad everything is ok! How long is he supposed to be limiting his activity?

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh good, glad everything is ok! How long is he supposed to be limiting his activity?
ummm forever.... or so it feels. At least 4 weeks on lockdown. Maybe more. Have heard 6 as well so will see what they say when we go back for the staples removed. Either way I am in hell cuz he is in hell. Going to be very long indeed.........

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
ummm forever.... or so it feels. At least 4 weeks on lockdown. Maybe more. Have heard 6 as well so will see what they say when we go back for the staples removed. Either way I am in hell cuz he is in hell. Going to be very long indeed.........

I feel so bad for you because I've been there, NO FUN AT ALL! Just be strong, don't give into him! It may suck but obviously it would suck a whole lot more if he injured himself.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.