Vomiting at Dog Park

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Hi there-

I've been a regular at the local dog park, ever since Lucy was around 6 months old. The past four times at the dog park, she's projectile vomited after running around a bit. I make it a point to only take her early in the morning and later at night when the temperatures drop, and in addition, I usually let her run for 5 minutes - grab her and leash her for 10 minutes - loose for 5 minutes again for about 30 minutes and then leave. She's a very energetic bulldog -- when she gets to the park, she takes off and SPRINTS. She loves it so much that i usually have to drag her out of the park because she doesn't want to leave.

I didn't know if there was anything I was missing - I know that bulldog owners have to be careful with their activity (especially in the summer), but wanted to see if there was anything else owners recommended.

I've tried to only feed her after her dog park sessions, but that hasn't helped.

Thank You!
Aris

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Is it food she is throwing up? White foamy or green slimy? I know that Abby will sometimes throw up at night after she finished beating up my son. It could be just the excitement.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I was going to suggest feeding AFTER the park but looks like you have tried. I am curious also is it food or foam ? I agree with [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] could just be the excitement?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well that's what I was going to suggest too was feeding after, but looks like you tried that. Hummmm, makes me wonder.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
First couple times it was foam - the other times it was green slimy - she's definitely throwing up both - food and foam.

It's super gross - it looks like bile sometimes - other times it's just her kibble.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sometimes mine will throw up after too much excitement in combination of drinking water too fast. Is there water involved?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If it's kibble and she is eating hours before going to the park I'd try adding a probiotic to her diet to help with digestion. But it's green and slimy that's usually from the stomach being empty.

If it were me, I'd add some digestive enzymes to her food then give her a small snack before heading off to the park. You could accomplish both at once by giving her some yogurt or gouda cheese.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I swear I could have written this same post. Oliver had the same issue. We go to the park early with a group of dogs so Oliver now eats 1/2 of his breakfast before the park and 1/2 after. We also only allow him to drink from a water bottle (one of the sport kind) so we can control how quickly he drinks. When we first started going, I had a portable bowl and he would just drink too much. The water would expand whatever food was in his belly and then running would just make it all come up. I honestly believe in our case, eating all of his breakfast before the park + drinking water + running = puke. We have a great system in place now that works. You might just have to experiment a bit.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Sometimes mine will throw up after too much excitement in combination of drinking water too fast. Is there water involved?

I always have a sport bottle of water that I bring - i always get super scared that she isn't hydrated enough from hearing all of the horror stories of dogs dying from heat exhaustion, etc. she really doesn't drink that much water - only drinks from the water bottle. she'll usually only drink a few sips because she's too excited to be around the other dogs.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
If it's kibble and she is eating hours before going to the park I'd try adding a probiotic to her diet to help with digestion. But it's green and slimy that's usually from the stomach being empty.

If it were me, I'd add some digestive enzymes to her food then give her a small snack before heading off to the park. You could accomplish both at once by giving her some yogurt or gouda cheese.

Great - I usually give her a 1/2 cup of yogurt or pumpkin in addition to the kibble.. I'll have to try that out next time. She's on Fromm's Duck & Sweet Potato right now. Transitioned her off of Holistic Select.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
I swear I could have written this same post. Oliver had the same issue. We go to the park early with a group of dogs so Oliver now eats 1/2 of his breakfast before the park and 1/2 after. We also only allow him to drink from a water bottle (one of the sport kind) so we can control how quickly he drinks. When we first started going, I had a portable bowl and he would just drink too much. The water would expand whatever food was in his belly and then running would just make it all come up. I honestly believe in our case, eating all of his breakfast before the park + drinking water + running = puke. We have a great system in place now that works. You might just have to experiment a bit.

Thanks for the info - I'm definitely going to experiment. She loves to run - she is NOT a lazy bulldog (until we get home from the park). I'm going to try to just give her a 1/2 cup of kibble and maybe some yogurt before the park. It was about 70 degrees today - could it possibly just be the heat?

Thanks so much for the help! I will report back tonight!

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
I forgot to note that before - in the cooler months, she'd regularly have diarrhea instead of the vomiting. I just want her to be able to play safely in the park!

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Here at the dog park now- she just threw up again. Before walking over I gave her just a bit of water and literally 10 pieces of kibble.

Could it be the switch to Fromm's ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I forgot to note that before - in the cooler months, she'd regularly have diarrhea instead of the vomiting. I just want her to be able to play safely in the park!

I wondering if she is nervous or just over excited? Does she throw up any other time at home, car rides?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.