JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This news is so sad. I guess I don't fully understand why shots would not have at least of been tried, just tried. I don't judge you as it wasn't my decision to make. It's not one I would have made before trying everything first even if she had 37 listed allergens. Your decision though and it's been made. :( May I ask though why a rescue or rehome to another area was not even considered? I understand if you don't want to answer but I know there's many of us here, myself included, that are left wondering why that was an option for Annie. May she RIP.

Last edited:
OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
If a dog has 37 allergies and it takes up to a year to trial just 1with shots and remember its only a trial as the shots do not work in the majority of dogs then she would never have even lived long enough anyway,I know where most of you are comming from but sometimes you have to say enough is enough ,when a dog never rests from itching just think of the emotional stress it's going through,this last month she had been so bad she has looked at me as if to say help me please that's how bad it's been for her,yes the very odd day she would stop for the odd hour and I would think oh good it's calming but then it would start again,if a dog at 2years old is becoming breathless just because you have walked it a few feet to the lamppost for a pee,the pustle on her paw grew 3 times the size in 1week ,so her allergies were taking hold so fast and she was suffering ,she is at peace now as am I ,but have to say the house is so quiet it's sad,karen

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I am so very sorry I am so late getting to this thread. RIP ANNIE .. God Bless you Karen I can only imagine the pain you and your family are going through.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
RIP beautiful sweet girl. I am devastated. Karen it was your decision to make, I know many of us won't understand it but we weren't there with her seeing her go through this every. Day. Of. Her. Life.....
Annie please run and jump.. You are free now

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am sorry Annie had to suffer so much and that you had to make such a final decision. At first I was angry and somehow I have come to understand your decision. It made me remember that feeling I had when in 2002 when I had to make the decision to turn off the life support for my 28 year old son. I am truly sorry for your loss. [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this most awful time in your life. I know the pain you are dealing with now, I have felt it in the past and will again sometime in the hopefully not too near future. I know that the day will come when I will have to say goodbye to my Abby far sooner than I should have to. Believe me, I know the stress and frustrations of dealing with a 24/7 illness, I think all of us here do. I know how taxing it is both emotionally and financially. We have good days and we have bad days but when the bad start to outnumber the good we have to do the impossible. In my house, we talk of a future with Abby and leg braces but we all know, somewhere deep in our hearts that either she won't be with us long enough to get there or they won't help her enough to matter.

I admire your courage in facing all that you have these past 2 years. I applaud your determination to defeat the lousy immune system that Annie was born with. And I am grateful for all that I have learned from you.

Cry today for what you have lost. Then smile tomorrow safe in the knowledge that you gave her the best life possible :hug:

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I am sorry Annie had to suffer so much and that you had to make such a final decision. At first I was angry and somehow I have come to understand your decision. It made me remember that feeling I had when in 2002 when I had to make the decision to turn off the life support for my 28 year old son. I am truly sorry for your loss. @karenben
I'm so sorry ,what a decision for a mother to make it makes my decision so small,I felt you disappointment in your messages and new you were angry,but sometimes we make the hardest decisions and we think we will never recover,and we never fully recover we just live with it,I know this as I had to make the biggest decision in my life when I could no longer care for my brain damaged daughter ,the guilt was indescribable ,after 20 yrs of caring for her and my other kids suffering because of her illness ,she lives with 2 careers and we see her weekly,she is so loved ,so I rest in the knowledge that for now she is as happy as she can be but she craves a family of her own,she craves a job,she craves a normal life but will never have it,though she's here ,in one way she isn't ,but life goes on and we just have to get up each morning and breath in and out,this morning is the first morning without Annie,and I know I made the right decision ,the last month has been hell for her,the first thing I would do is wash her then cream her,then a stroll to the lamppost for a pee by the time we got back her breathing would be laboured,this we did 3 times a day,that's no life for a 2 yr old dog!so I feel better this morning ,I will always miss her naughty behaviour,farting,burping,humping!,those eyes that say what you looking at ,but I have some good memories and really that's what life boils down to in the end , memories,Karen

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Kare,

I am extremely sorry for what Annie, you and your family went through. What a very difficult decision! Annie is at peace playing with all of the other bulldogs and pets that wait for us on the other side of the rainbow. When my Winston passed in his sleep one year this July, me being a non religious man became religious soon after his departure. It was tough getting through that!! But the people here on this website helped raise me up. Seven months after Winston passed, a friend that I met on here (Goobersmom) motivated me and now I have baby puppy Elliott waiting for me to come home from work this morning. Hang in there Karen, lots of prayers to you and your family.
Mike

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Kare,

I am extremely sorry for what Annie, you and your family went through. What a very difficult decision! Annie is at peace playing with all of the other bulldogs and pets that wait for us on the other side of the rainbow. When my Winston passed in his sleep one year this July, me being a non religious man became religious soon after his departure. It was tough getting through that!! But the people here on this website helped raise me up. Seven months after Winston passed, a friend that I met on here (Goobersmom) motivated me and now I have baby puppy Elliott waiting for me to come home from work this morning. Hang in there Karen, lots of prayers to you and your family.
Mike
Ahh god bless elliot,a dog certainly lifts the spirits and is always loyal,karen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@karenben please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this most awful time in your life. I know the pain you are dealing with now, I have felt it in the past and will again sometime in the hopefully not too near future. I know that the day will come when I will have to say goodbye to my Abby far sooner than I should have to. Believe me, I know the stress and frustrations of dealing with a 24/7 illness, I think all of us here do. I know how taxing it is both emotionally and financially. We have good days and we have bad days but when the bad start to outnumber the good we have to do the impossible. In my house, we talk of a future with Abby and leg braces but we all know, somewhere deep in our hearts that either she won't be with us long enough to get there or they won't help her enough to matter.

I admire your courage in facing all that you have these past 2 years. I applaud your determination to defeat the lousy immune system that Annie was born with. And I am grateful for all that I have learned from you.

Cry today for what you have lost. Then smile tomorrow safe in the knowledge that you gave her the best life possible :hug:

Well said Bev..... Karen - my heart aches for you as I could not imagine the pain in making this decision... Annie will be missed - I love seeing her beautiful face.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I just wanted to say thankyou for all the wonderful information you have shared with us on EBN. I for one have benefited from your raw feeding posts and telling us about supplements and whatnot. I hope you will still pop in to EBN every once and awhile. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] Maggie left us on Thursday, and I hope that she and Annie are playing together at Rainbows Bridge. I understand and share your heartbreak, even though we know we made the right decision it doesn't make it any easier to live with. :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.