Head Tremors

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Good morning all -

Has anyone had any experience with head tremors in their bull dog?

They look like they have a bobble head and it doesn't last long, maybe couple of minutes. No other shaking then the head.

This has happened twice with Otis recently, he has a vet appointment today but doing some research online they say it's common - doesnt hurt the dog and NOT to have the vet give epilepsy meds. Treatment that has helped has been Kayro syrup or Pedisure which has calcium in it. Its some sort of a calcium defiency.

I would appreciate any feedback if you know about or have experienced this same issue. Thanks in advance.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Ive had a few do this. Mojo does it on certain foods. I changed his food and he hasnt had any since.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thank you for the response. Since I posted that earlier I have been researchin online as well as in EBN - I am confident it is head tremors. I picked up some Kayro Syrup and will try that. Just wondering how much to give...daily, weekly, as the episode occurs and how much? I do have a vet appointment today and will mention it but I am not confident they would even be familar with it - over the phone they said it sounded like a mild seizure.

Thanks to the great people and info on here I am more at ease but still on "Otis observation"

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Head tremors is something very normal in bulldogs, some boxers even develop them! . There are no medications for this and I agree no seizure meds for this! The syrup I would give during the episode to distract them and stop it! Try to record when it happens, what they are doing at that time as much info as you can! Brutus had 1 tremor and it was b/c a friend was over that Brutus loves and we didnt take him out of his crate so he was so excited and that casued it(we think)! I know there is someone who was playing with their bullies monkey and he had a temor! I cant remember who it was though! somone will be by soon with more advice

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It was [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] 's boy Vegas with the monkey, and [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] 's Maggie when offered a treat.

Check out [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] 's Vegas videos on all her posts she has a bulldog with epilepsy and you can tell a distinct difference between that and a idiopathic head tremor. Also search the site for those words and you will find many topics and videos!

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
My girl, Audrey, gets these tremors. When she gets them, it is usually around the time she is falling asleep. With her they last between 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Nothing seems to make hers stop, other then time. Some weeks she has a bunch of episodes, other weeks she has none. We were originally keeping a log of when and how often she had them, but she has had SO many we can't keep track anymore. At this time she isn't on any meds for it, nor do we plan to put her on any.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
on **** there is a bit of info on Head Tremors - Gizmo has had a few - in the middle of the night, I wake up to my leg vibrating - at first it freaked us out - but we read and researched - what we found that works for Gizmo - is to get her attention - STARTLE HER - a few quick CLAPS of your hands and saying her name, LOUDLY - has stopped them, when we didnt know that trick, it was run downstairs for the Molasses. Its almost like Gizmo is in a trance because when we snap her out of it, with the hand claps, its all over.

Dottie experienced it one night, I was dead asleep - *CLAP CLAP GIZMO SNAP OUT OF IT* I shot up in bed, and was like WTF?!?!?!?!?! but, it stopped the tremor :)

Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My girl, Audrey, gets these tremors. When she gets them, it is usually around the time she is falling asleep. With her they last between 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Nothing seems to make hers stop, other then time. Some weeks she has a bunch of episodes, other weeks she has none. We were originally keeping a log of when and how often she had them, but she has had SO many we can't keep track anymore. At this time she isn't on any meds for it, nor do we plan to put her on any.

Give any type of treat or kibble.... distracts the muscles and the temor will stop. Nitschke got them when he did not have enough water or was overly tired..... Banks gets them but very rare and we have not noticed what could be her trigger, but both always responded well to any type of food

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thank you everyone, greatly appreciate it, scary stuff and your words comfort.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Cassie had them very infrequently. From some of my reading awhile back it could be caused by low blood sugar. I used to give her half a peanutbutter granola bar and they would stop very quickly.

jluckyfish

Oct 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob
Great information here. My 3 yr. old BOB just started having them last night. Freaked me out! This info and sharing has helped greatly. We just switched his food last night from Merrick Before grain-salmon and sweet potato ( i guess they stopped making it) to Merrick Duck and Sweet potato and I thought this might have caused it Feel really bad for him and will try the karo syrup and other tips to comfort him.
Thank you

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
This happens with Molly from time to time, first time it happened scared the BahGeeBees out of me!! I was told it's a rather common thing in bulldogs and may be caused by low blood sugar to give a tsp of Karo Syrup and not to panic because the more you stress the more your bulldog will stress and the longer the episode will last ... and in my case with Molly that has proven to work, if I stay calm give the syrup she snaps out of it pretty quick.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk has episodes also. I posted hers on Bully Tube labeled Punk's Episodes. Take a look and see if they are similar. Also, she is not on any medicine either. Tried pheno and it just made it worse. I just distract her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.