Eye issues in Sherman (4 years old)

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Sherman is 4 years old, and had double entropian surgery three years ago. We have no problems with his eyes since them, other than a little allergy thing here or there.

We do have some staining issues in his folds, but that would be the ONLY other thing.

The vet gave me some medication for his folds as it was way out of hand, and it had been working. We went to KY for the long weekend, and our dog sitter (very responsible) noted that the folds were getting better, the eyes were not. Our thought was the medication may have been getting in his eyes...seems that is not the case though as both of us are diligent for that not to happen.

Last night his eyeballs were very red. VERY red. ANGRY red. His folds were filled with crusty stuff and angry red as well. This morning he can hardly open his eyes and when I pry them open to check his eyeballs they are red EVERYWHERE. His eyelids are swollen.

We have an appt for him with the vet this afternoon. I have had dogs all my life (53...what an age) and have never seen anything similar to this.

Any ideas what it could be?

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Saying a prayer for Sherman - please let us know what the vet says.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My allergy baby Mr. Wilson has had lots of eye irritation lately despite using Optimmune. I'm always careful to keep cleaning his eyes gently and periodically use an eye wash to flush any dust or eye goopies out. Let us know what the vet says and hoping he gets relief. My eyes have been especially itchy so I can imagine what our bullies feel like.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be a very bad allergic reaction ..... prayers and positive thoughts it is nothing serious

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thinking good, good thoughts for Sherman. Remember to come back and let us know what it is and what is being done. It will help someone else!

Hugs to sweet Sherman.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hope he is okay, any news from the vet?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Could he have been stung by something?

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Sorry it took me so long to get back. No computer at home as Comcast couldn't get out to the new house for 3 weeks AFTER we moved. Talk about irritating.

Sherman had a severe eye infection. Both eyes were involved and holy cow I have never seen eyeballs that red in anything. The vet said the folds got yeasty then infected (thus the crust) and even with us cleansing them, they were irritated and the infection traveled up the wrinkle into his eye.

I love farm vets...he put him on drops, and antibiotics but asked what I had been using in his wrinkles to keep them clean. I told him duoxo and washing with a mild vinegar solution. He said, "go to Walmart, get some saline and wash those wrinkles out each day with it, you'll see a great change. HOLY COW...how simple, cheap, and though he hates it we do it to him and Custer every single day now, and NOTHING. No more staining, no sores, no nothing. Of course you'd think I was trying to remove an eye to hear Custer tell it, but he'll live and live a lot happier for me doing t his int he long run...saline!!!! Who knew!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
sometimes the simple things work the best :) I'm glad he is on his way to getting better :hug:

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Yay, glad he is better!! I wipe our guy's eyes out with saline and wipe down the folds too - haven't been using the malaket/duoxo wipes in months now, just sometimes Lotirim powder if they are damp and it seems to do the trick! I think our food change months ago helped too.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Glad to hear Sherman's eyes are better, and you found out what it was, so now his eyes will clear up. Sometimes the simplest and more natural remedies work the best, and at least you know saline won't irritate or sting his eyes, if it happens to get in them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.