Cutty's Dr appt...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Took Cutty for his appt today for the second opinion on his acl. Had it in my had he would be better off without surgery being 6 1/2 years old and all. Dr. Kraemer said he should have it. :( Says that with how healthy he is and his shape he should do great with it. Says the bones r grinding around in there, more than just an acl. So unless the surgeon is busy, Fri is the day. I have to say I loved him tho. The first known bulldog Vet to give me their time of day. Was very nice and helpful. Now to adjust to what comes next..... Ugh

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

L

Lucy-licious

Oh sweety I know you hoped for better news, but this is best in the long run. Friday?? OMG! that is so soon....better though as you havn't too much time to dwell and worry. Did ou ask about after care..is theer anything special you need to get or do?? [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]....Jill will give you advise :hug: Jenn xxxx

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No I didn't get that far cuz I am just awful at Drs appts. Lol the guy at the desk said crated for 4 Weeks, or the equivalent of. Thinking out bedroom will be his room. We do have a table crate that was Miila's and hardly gets used but Cutty I think would not understand it so much since we have never crated.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Awww hope everything goes well with the surgery. We'll be praying for the best!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Jen, the surgerry's this Friday? Glad to hear though that the vet felt he'll do great! Cutty will heal in no time and the 4 weeks will go by fast and he won't even remember the crate. He's not having the TPLO surgery correct? :hug:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh jenn I'm so sorry cutty needs surgery! But being the positive girl I am, I can't help but point out how happy I am that Dr Kraemer has reported that in general he is a healthy boy and that you liked Dr K so much, I knew you would because I thought he seemed like a wonderful man when I met him and having heard so many wonderful things about him from SCBR :) Will he have to stay overnight?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww Jen....I'm so very sorry..know you and all of us..we're so hoping for a different path! But..I'm glad you have a vet you like and feel comfortable with. And :ohmy: FRIDAY!!! Wowzie! As far as carting..I'm retry sure he will ave to be as immobile as possible. Being crated limits any excess activity ad he will probably have the best outcome. I have a great crate you can use as long as you need to..I knowim a ways from you..but could meet you half way??? Also..maybe an Xpen would work..but a whole room is too much space. Let me know !! And :hug: to Cutty and you!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Your vet sounds wonderful, Jenn. And how nice of him to squeeze Cutty in for Friday. Will be thinking of you both. :hug:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Hey, I didn't know Cutty had a torn ACL.. did he have a luxating patella, or was it an injury? Poor baby!! I will be praying for him, he is so strong.. he will do just fine :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow Friday, he means business! Nice to see a vet think about how Cutty may be feeling, shows what a good vet he is. Oh sweet Cutty, I will be thinking of you!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I think sooner is better. Get it over with and sounds like the vet has a lot of confidence. Good luck and I will pray for an uneventful surgery. Stay strong. :cool2:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw, man - sorry the news isn't better! Is Cutty having the TPLO or a different surgery? Also, I hope the surgeon let you know once one knee goes, the other is likely to follow (something like 80%, which stinks!).

But luckily, it is a very common procedure since SO many dogs tear ACLs so Cutty's surgery and recovery will hopefully be very smooth.

It sounds like your vet recommended surgery because the movement of the joint would eventually cause crippling arthritis. I know it's a hard thing to deal with since Cutty is 6.5 but I guess one way to look at it that torn ACLs and bad hips and things like that used to be a death sentence for dogs. Thanks to innovations in veterinary medicine, we are able to help maintain our dog's quality of life, or in many cases, give them a new lease on life. This is the way I tried to view everything we went through with Truman and Bentley (including the hit on the wallet).

If you have any specific questions, please let me know! Bentley had both knees done with TPLO but I know there are newer innovations now and Cutty's treatment might vary with his age.

Good luck Jenn - you're not alone!

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
And I'd like to officially call for an end to this horrible rash of leg injuries we've had lately! Step carefully, bullies!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No I didn't get that far cuz I am just awful at Drs appts. Lol the guy at the desk said crated for 4 Weeks, or the equivalent of. Thinking out bedroom will be his room. We do have a table crate that was Miila's and hardly gets used but Cutty I think would not understand it so much since we have never crated.

Maybe you should get it out and start using it -- before the surgery? Keeping him calm and still is going to be difficult, isn't it? Can they give you doggie downers so he doesn't rip out the stitches, etc.? Cutty is an active pup...I'd be afraid he's injure the surgical site and then you'd have to start all over again.....

Good luck, Jenn. I am delighted that you have confidence in your vet. That means everything.

Edited to add: you cannot feel bad about that crate. They will sense it. If you think it's awful or prison or not fun, they will pick that up. You have to think "This crate is the best place in the world for you now and it's wonderful." Get a new pillow or some fun bedding to help your mid adjust, maybe?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.