Kennal cough?

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
I took my hemi to the vet a week ago, they gave me pills for it (7days worth and 2x a day), and well yesterday was the first day with no pills, today she is still coughing and hacking, what should I do? Is it still the k.cough or might it be something else?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I think i would call the vet's office and explain what's going on. Maybe Hemi needs an extension on her meds. Is she coughing up anything? how is she otherwise...lethargic? eating okay? Kennel cough is usually a viral illness but may also have some bacterial components to it that's why she was prescribed the antibiotics (I'm assuming that's what they were for the 7 days). Give the vet a call to be on the safe side.

OP
A

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
I will call the vet tomorrow, maybe they won't charge me another visit fee... She is not coughing up anything, just hacking and gagging...

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
the vet has always told me that the cough itself can last longer than they take the meds...several weeks and that i should not socialize until they are no longer coughing at all...for us that has lasted 3 weeks before. there are so many strains that the kennel cough shot does not cover all of them. our dogs are around other dogs so much they have gotten it a couple of times...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you put her in a steamy bathroom as well to help break it up? Also bully pups are known to not feel illness like we do, they need to rest but want to play.... I would try to keep play limited until you see improvement.... If at any time there is a refusal to eat or drink go to the vet asap, it may have spread to the lungs and can turn into pneumonia....

OP
A

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
I hear all of yours advice, I just want to make sure I make the right decision here, but I don't want to rush to the vet every time my baby gets a cold! My wife does that with our children!

She has had her first round of shots from the breeder all ready, however the vet does not recognize that as her first round of shots and said they want to start over, I don't know if that is a ploy to get more money or what but they told me they did not want to give the first round until her cough has cleared up.. I want to get her her shots so I can get her out and socialize her, it's killing me keeping her cramped up, even though I do sneak her out on some car rides!

Gingersmom

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ginger
We rescued a pup that ended up having Kennel Cough one time (not a bulldog). The poor baby had it for about 6 weeks. They did two 10 day rounds of antibiotics. The cough just dragged on and on it seemed. In this case it seemed to just be viral. But I was glad to have her on the antibiotics as a precaution.

One thing the vet had us do that helped a lot was give her a spoon full of honey. This works as a cough suppressant, and really helped her to get rest at night. You can repeat as needed too since it isn't a medication. Worth a try! I hope your bubba feels better!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You can socialize her with HEALTHY DOGS whom you personally know and trust the humans attached to them.

In the meantime, anything that involves lungs and bulldogs, I'd make sure to see a vet. Pneumonia can kill an EB. If you dont' trust your vet -- which it doesn't sound like you do -- go to another one. Find one with experience with EBs so you are confident in your pup's care.

OP
A

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
Pneumonia was the diagnosis today, they took chest X-rays and her lungs are filled, they put her on 2 different type of antibiotics...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pneumonia was the diagnosis today, they took chest X-rays and her lungs are filled, they put her on 2 different type of antibiotics...

OH MY.... hugs and positive thoughts for a quick recovery

OP
A

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
OH MY.... hugs and positive thoughts for a quick recovery

She is acting like nothing is wrong today? Running around like a crazy person on crack, chewing everything at doggie level....!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank goodness you took her in! Did they give her any injections? If so they may have given her a steroid and that would probably make her feel much better but try to keep her resting as much as possible. Poor sweet baby! How is she with eating and drinking? Doing okay? Keep a close eye on her, I don't want to scare you but this has been known to kill many pups.... If she has any behavior that is odd take her straight back in!

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I pray that your baby will be OK and recover quickly! When Jackson had an upper respitory infection I felt so bad...I even cried! He was barely eating and extremely lethargic. Thank God he eventually bounced back and Hemi will too!

OP
A

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
Thank goodness you took her in! Did they give her any injections? If so they may have given her a steroid and that would probably make her feel much better but try to keep her resting as much as possible. Poor sweet baby! How is she with eating and drinking? Doing okay? Keep a close eye on her, I don't want to scare you but this has been known to kill many pups.... If she has any behavior that is odd take her straight back in!

She is eating and drinking just great! No injections yesterday other then a booster,she has been resting a lot today just because I have been in and out, she has played for a bit when she was "playing" with her stuffed animal

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is good to hear, keep us posted :up:

Most Reactions