Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)

Default Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

Hello all,

Apologies if this is a repost or common knowledge that i'm not aware of yet. My now 11mth old Spike had a bout with choking this past weekend which scared us more than before. From time to time (twice now)Spike will act like he's about to throw up but instead his mouth is closed and seems like snot or saliva is coming out of his nose and difficult to breath. The previous two times we've just patted him on the back and he would throw up whatever is in his throat. But for some reason this weekend it was like he couldn't move and seemed like he couldn't breathe.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this normal? My fear is my wife or I won't be there when he's in his crate if this happens.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

you may want the vet the take a look at his mouth or throat. he may have an elongated soft palate

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
    Likes (Received)

it sound almost like he has Aspirated
    in his lungs. You need to get him to the VET ASAP. I have had two of my bullies do the same thing and both had got phenomena and became very ill. I almost lost one cause his lugs filled so bad. Not trying to scare you.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i would get my dog to the vet asap to get checked out. i believe @kazzy220 has experience with aspiration and will tag her to get more imput. also tagging@desertskybulldogs @Davidh @Sherry
    Last edited by cowsmom; 05-29-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite1 View Post
    Hello all,

Apologies if this is a repost or common knowledge that i'm not aware of yet. My now 11mth old Spike had a bout with choking this past weekend which scared us more than before. From time to time (twice now)Spike will act like he's about to throw up but instead his mouth is closed and seems like snot or saliva is coming out of his nose and difficult to breath. The previous two times we've just patted him on the back and he would throw up whatever is in his throat. But for some reason this weekend it was like he couldn't move and seemed like he couldn't breathe.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this normal? My fear is my wife or I won't be there when he's in his crate if this happens.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.
    I hope you are at the vet right now
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all for the input...No i'm not at the vet right now but i have an appointment tomorrow. The incident happened on Sunday and as i've stated in the past he's done this at least twice before. We've been to the vet since those incidents and they've said he's fine. He's acting perfectly normal today from what i see on the doggie cam.

Watson - I do remember the vet stating that he has an elongated soft palate and mentioned a surgery of some sort to help his breathing. Apparently, it's a common surgery

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for the jump, but thank you @Infinite1 I'm sure it was a very scary situation
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I would do the surgery asap, it will also help with his breathing. We had this done on Jewel, because when we got her she was 11 months old and was having a hard time eating and breathing, so after the surgery she has not had that problem any more.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

When Maggie aspirated on her food it sounded like "reverse sneezing". Search for it on youtube and you will find loads of examples of this.

I'm glad you have an appointment at the vet tomorrow it will put your mind at rest as to what was the exact cause of these coughing/choking fits. Also remember that bullys tend to hide their pain and discomfort very well. They may develop pneumonia and not really show any signs of being ill until it is almost too late. By the time we realised how ill Maggie was her lungs were almost totally full and she spent the night at the vets having breathing treatments!!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Poor guy. I don't know anything about this but looks like you have great advice above. Let us know what the Vet says tomorrow. We welcome anything that's a repost or common knowledge because it means someone new will see what you and others have to share.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

My Callie (RIP) had an elongated palette, I literally stuck my finger down her throat on numerous choking ocassions before she had the surgery. I would highly recommend getting it done.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

No experience or advice for you but am grateful that your pup is OK. That's the scariest thing on the planet. Bo choked on his dog food one time as a wee pup and I about had a heart attack -- after I got the offending chunks out of his throat. OMG. I never want to go thru that again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads