Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hello all,

Apologies if this is a repost or common knowledge that i'm not aware of yet. My now 11mth old Spike had a bout with choking this past weekend which scared us more than before. From time to time (twice now)Spike will act like he's about to throw up but instead his mouth is closed and seems like snot or saliva is coming out of his nose and difficult to breath. The previous two times we've just patted him on the back and he would throw up whatever is in his throat. But for some reason this weekend it was like he couldn't move and seemed like he couldn't breathe.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this normal? My fear is my wife or I won't be there when he's in his crate if this happens.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
you may want the vet the take a look at his mouth or throat. he may have an elongated soft palate

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
it sound almost like he has Aspirated
in his lungs. You need to get him to the VET ASAP. I have had two of my bullies do the same thing and both had got phenomena and became very ill. I almost lost one cause his lugs filled so bad. Not trying to scare you:cursing:.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would get my dog to the vet asap to get checked out. i believe @kazzy220 has experience with aspiration and will tag her to get more imput. also tagging[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hello all,

Apologies if this is a repost or common knowledge that i'm not aware of yet. My now 11mth old Spike had a bout with choking this past weekend which scared us more than before. From time to time (twice now)Spike will act like he's about to throw up but instead his mouth is closed and seems like snot or saliva is coming out of his nose and difficult to breath. The previous two times we've just patted him on the back and he would throw up whatever is in his throat. But for some reason this weekend it was like he couldn't move and seemed like he couldn't breathe.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this normal? My fear is my wife or I won't be there when he's in his crate if this happens.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

I hope you are at the vet right now

OP
Infinite1

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks all for the input...No i'm not at the vet right now but i have an appointment tomorrow. The incident happened on Sunday and as i've stated in the past he's done this at least twice before. We've been to the vet since those incidents and they've said he's fine. He's acting perfectly normal today from what i see on the doggie cam.

Watson - I do remember the vet stating that he has an elongated soft palate and mentioned a surgery of some sort to help his breathing. Apparently, it's a common surgery

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sorry for the jump, but thank you [MENTION=4831]Infinite1[/MENTION] I'm sure it was a very scary situation

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would do the surgery asap, it will also help with his breathing. We had this done on Jewel, because when we got her she was 11 months old and was having a hard time eating and breathing, so after the surgery she has not had that problem any more.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When Maggie aspirated on her food it sounded like "reverse sneezing". Search for it on youtube and you will find loads of examples of this.

I'm glad you have an appointment at the vet tomorrow it will put your mind at rest as to what was the exact cause of these coughing/choking fits. Also remember that bullys tend to hide their pain and discomfort very well. They may develop pneumonia and not really show any signs of being ill until it is almost too late. By the time we realised how ill Maggie was her lungs were almost totally full and she spent the night at the vets having breathing treatments!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor guy. I don't know anything about this but looks like you have great advice above. Let us know what the Vet says tomorrow. We welcome anything that's a repost or common knowledge because it means someone new will see what you and others have to share.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
My Callie (RIP) had an elongated palette, I literally stuck my finger down her throat on numerous choking ocassions before she had the surgery. I would highly recommend getting it done.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No experience or advice for you but am grateful that your pup is OK. That's the scariest thing on the planet. Bo choked on his dog food one time as a wee pup and I about had a heart attack -- after I got the offending chunks out of his throat. OMG. I never want to go thru that again.

OP
Infinite1

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
***UPDATE***

First off just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all the good folks for your advice and input. It's very good to know this website is here filled with helpful information and people as well.

I just got back from the vet. They did a chest x-ray and everything is OK! Phew! As a matter of fact Spike has very healthy lungs. The vet also stated that since the choking was fairly infrequent (once in a month or more) it was not necessary visit the surgery for the elongated palate. She stated that I should always observe and if his seems to be choking or throwing up regularly then surgery to the palate would be done. The vet said I also have the option to do the surgery anyways if I wish but in regards to the visit all is normal. In my opinion, I will save up for the surgery as he has heavy panting when he visits the vet (he gets excited) as well.

Looks like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm so glad everything is ok with my little buddy. Thanks again everyone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
***UPDATE***

First off just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all the good folks for your advice and input. It's very good to know this website is here filled with helpful information and people as well.

I just got back from the vet. They did a chest x-ray and everything is OK! Phew! As a matter of fact Spike has very healthy lungs. The vet also stated that since the choking was fairly infrequent (once in a month or more) it was not necessary visit the surgery for the elongated palate. She stated that I should always observe and if his seems to be choking or throwing up regularly then surgery to the palate would be done. The vet said I also have the option to do the surgery anyways if I wish but in regards to the visit all is normal. In my opinion, I will save up for the surgery as he has heavy panting when he visits the vet (he gets excited) as well.

Looks like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm so glad everything is ok with my little buddy. Thanks again everyone!

So happy to hear he is doing well and he wasn't in any danger. My boy had to have the surgery done at about age 2... he experienced all you have described and our vet wanted to wait till he was at least two before doing the procedure. Just something to think about if it comes to needing it to take place.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson had the surgery at 5 months. Honestly if he is choking every so often you should strongly consider having it done. Also don't let him eat unsupervised.

Members online

No members online now.