Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 20 of 20

Thread: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

  1. #13
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    ***UPDATE***

    First off just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all the good folks for your advice and input. It's very good to know this website is here filled with helpful information and people as well.

    I just got back from the vet. They did a chest x-ray and everything is OK! Phew! As a matter of fact Spike has very healthy lungs. The vet also stated that since the choking was fairly infrequent (once in a month or more) it was not necessary visit the surgery for the elongated palate. She stated that I should always observe and if his seems to be choking or throwing up regularly then surgery to the palate would be done. The vet said I also have the option to do the surgery anyways if I wish but in regards to the visit all is normal. In my opinion, I will save up for the surgery as he has heavy panting when he visits the vet (he gets excited) as well.

    Looks like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm so glad everything is ok with my little buddy. Thanks again everyone!

  2. #14
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11506

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite1 View Post
    ***UPDATE***

    First off just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all the good folks for your advice and input. It's very good to know this website is here filled with helpful information and people as well.

    I just got back from the vet. They did a chest x-ray and everything is OK! Phew! As a matter of fact Spike has very healthy lungs. The vet also stated that since the choking was fairly infrequent (once in a month or more) it was not necessary visit the surgery for the elongated palate. She stated that I should always observe and if his seems to be choking or throwing up regularly then surgery to the palate would be done. The vet said I also have the option to do the surgery anyways if I wish but in regards to the visit all is normal. In my opinion, I will save up for the surgery as he has heavy panting when he visits the vet (he gets excited) as well.

    Looks like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm so glad everything is ok with my little buddy. Thanks again everyone!
    So happy to hear he is doing well and he wasn't in any danger. My boy had to have the surgery done at about age 2... he experienced all you have described and our vet wanted to wait till he was at least two before doing the procedure. Just something to think about if it comes to needing it to take place.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #15
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Watson's Avatar
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,099
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    Watson had the surgery at 5 months. Honestly if he is choking every so often you should strongly consider having it done. Also don't let him eat unsupervised.


  4. #16
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    My miila had that surgery when she got spayed and it was easy on her. I think somewhere around 300 bucks or so. Glad you're baby is alright, that is a huge relief I know.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  5. #17
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Watson had the surgery at 5 months. Honestly if he is choking every so often you should strongly consider having it done. Also don't let him eat unsupervised.
    Yeah i'm definitely going to have it done. I hear you on not letting him eat unsupervised. When I watch him I have to tell him to slow down b/c he's like a Dyson vacuum even with his slow-feeding bowl. I've come to know that bulldogs don't chew...they inhale...HAHA

  6. #18
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    So glad you found out what it is, that can get very scary. There's info on this site about the Heimlich and also resuscitation. Hope we never have to use it, but good to know how to react and quickly.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  7. #19
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    Hi All,

    Sorry it's been a while been doing a lot of work travel and things finally slowed down for now. Just an update on Spike we were able to have surgery on his eyes, nose and throat to alleviate his breathing and overheating issues. It's been about 10 days since his surgery and all is well. He's breathing much better and not overheating as quickly. The hair is out of his eyes and not scratching his cornea. The choking (which is what the thread was about lol) has stopped...he does seem to have something stuck in his throat so but we'll see on Monday what that's all about when we go to take his stitches out. (what's left of them at least since half of them were either licked off or by rubbing his face in his bed...haha)

  8. #20
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11506

    Default Re: Bulldog Choking/Asphyxiation symptoms??

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite1 View Post
    Hi All,

    Sorry it's been a while been doing a lot of work travel and things finally slowed down for now. Just an update on Spike we were able to have surgery on his eyes, nose and throat to alleviate his breathing and overheating issues. It's been about 10 days since his surgery and all is well. He's breathing much better and not overheating as quickly. The hair is out of his eyes and not scratching his cornea. The choking (which is what the thread was about lol) has stopped...he does seem to have something stuck in his throat so but we'll see on Monday what that's all about when we go to take his stitches out. (what's left of them at least since half of them were either licked off or by rubbing his face in his bed...haha)
    So good to hear he is coming along..... hopefully the issue in his throat is just the stiches.

    Keep us posted..... hugs to you and spike
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •