Just had puppies 1wk, now skin rash and irritated ear...HELP!!

Sdbullie

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello my felow Bullie lovers,

I have a two year old bullie named Lola, she has never had any skin or ear issues in the past. When I received her back a week ago from the vet she had a small dime size rash/scale on her cheek and in days it got worse. now it has spread down under her chin. Her right ear is really irritated and had excess wax (not dark color/ like beige) I cleaned her ear but I'm unsure what to do. this is my first bullie and litter. she is currently still feeding the pups but I'm just unsure whether to separate her from them or leave her; I don't want it to spread to the puppies. She scratches occasionally and shakes her head or rubs her face on the floor. I'm taking her to the vet later today. any ideas?? Thank You.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 164

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
tagging the experts here
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Is her fur wet from the rash oozing or did you just wipe it with something before the pic. Plus does it have a musty smell? It could be a yeast infection. When they have a litter it is very hard on their system. Are you feeding her puppy food? We always feed our mamas puppy food before and after they whelp their pups. Plus we give ours Hearthypet Complete also to help out. I would let the vet see it a do a scraping to rule out mites, which they can get easily when their immune system is low. Let us know what the vet said.

OP
S

Sdbullie

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Is her fur wet from the rash oozing or did you just wipe it with something before the pic. Plus does it have a musty smell? It could be a yeast infection. When they have a litter it is very hard on their system. Are you feeding her puppy food? We always feed our mamas puppy food before and after they whelp their pups. Plus we give ours Hearthypet Complete also to help out. I would let the vet see it a do a scraping to rule out mites, which they can get easily when their immune system is low. Let us know what the vet said.

Yes I rubbed her skin with natural almond oil to clean it. The smell isn't really musty...I feed her Blue buffalo puppy food before and currently still am. Thank You for the advice. Will update with vet details.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
What [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said, I agree 100% perfect :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor Mama, let us know what the vet says. It almost looks like a hot spot, but if there is oil on it it could be making it look that way. Make sure you are feeding her plenty too, she needs LOADS of extra food to help make milk and to make sure she has enough vitamins for herself as well. Otherwise she will deteriorate very quickly from the puppies taking all her nutrients. I swear they take so much out of a mamma, and your attention to her must be of the utmost importance, especially after a week of nursing, once they really get good at nursing they can suck the life right out of the mom.

How long was she on the BB puppy before they were born?

OP
S

Sdbullie

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
It's Scabies!

The vet gave me some ointment to pt on the affected areas once a day for a week. Check up Next Tuesday. anyone deal with this before??

thanks for all the support, this site is awesome.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She got them from her immune system being low from the pups. Usually the vet will give some ointment or shampoo to put on the area or bath with, plus some antibiotics. Like Lisa [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said give the mom plenty of puppy food, I usually let the mom eat all she wants while she is nursing the pups, I just leave the food down and let her free eat, plus plenty of water. Plus I will give her Hardypet Complete two or three times a day.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
No advice..you got some great advice above! :hug: to mama to get better soon

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I have never heard of a dog having scabies! Congratulations on your litter. Also watch her when she is nursing if her sugar drops. Head shaking is a sign. Just rub some honey on gums and it brings back up rapidly.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Poor Mamma...I sure hope you get a handle on her and her health..things can go downhill so very quickly. Reasons why I know NEVER to breed Bully pups. So many things can go wrong. Good luck and let us know how she is. :pray:

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
Wow what a great forum and such great advice, wish i could contribute something, but I really can't. So I am guessing that the op will have to watch the litter to make sure they don't get it right? How many did momma have? Congrats on the litter and hopefully she gets better soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.