Duke up all night sick? question about fluids

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi there.. Duke started about 130 am he threw up food, then about every two hours he couldn't seem to get comfortable he would get up and then he threw up white Flem ( sorry to be gross ) he WANTS to eat breakfast and seems more comfortable now, I have learned after flying to the ER vet all the time to keep an eye on him and see BUT my question and concern is him being dehydrated? should I give him some water? I remember last time he had this they said no food for a whole day to allow the belly to settle? he hasn't pooped yet today he did go last night and it was softer than normal? I have to go to work but my husband is going to stay home with him.. thoughts? he seems ok just tired now ?? :cry:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would try to make him drink some, even force some water down with a syringe if he doesn't drink. If he wants to eat he is probably not very sick.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I would try to make him drink some, even force some water down with a syringe if he doesn't drink. If he wants to eat he is probably not very sick.
OK thats what I was thinking.. why is it when it comes to our dogs we lose all sense of common sense? I get so upset when he is sick I feel like I can't think straight! :cry: thank you !

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OK thats what I was thinking.. why is it when it comes to our dogs we lose all sense of common sense? I get so upset when he is sick I feel like I can't think straight! :cry: thank you !

I hear you! I feel exactly the same. I think I feel psycically sick myself when Usko is not feeling good...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Water is important --- if you can get them to drink it. That's the challenge.

I hope Duke is feeling better soon!

Maybe try some of the bland diet for a day? My dogs know what "Chickie and Rice" is and come RUNNING for it. If they could fake sick to get it, they would. When I make it I make enough rice for two cups and then dump the rice water - whatever might be left - with the canned chicken juice in with the chicken (large can). Rice water helps runny poo too.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Water is important --- if you can get them to drink it. That's the challenge.

I hope Duke is feeling better soon!

Maybe try some of the bland diet for a day? My dogs know what "Chickie and Rice" is and come RUNNING for it. If they could fake sick to get it, they would. When I make it I make enough rice for two cups and then dump the rice water - whatever might be left - with the canned chicken juice in with the chicken (large can). Rice water helps runny poo too.

Good idea.. thank you !

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if he wants water id let him have it. try to get it down him so hes not dehydrated. and sarah has thrown up before and seemed to no want food for a bit and then later she would want to eat so i fed her. they say oh dont feed for 24 hours and let the tummy settle but i just cant so if sarah wants to eat after throwing up i feed her. shes always been fine. i hope duke feels better soon.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
if he wants water id let him have it. try to get it down him so hes not dehydrated. and sarah has thrown up before and seemed to no want food for a bit and then later she would want to eat so i fed her. they say oh dont feed for 24 hours and let the tummy settle but i just cant so if sarah wants to eat after throwing up i feed her. shes always been fine. i hope duke feels better soon.

that is what my husband just said to me on the phone.. Duke is sleeping now but he did puke about an hour ago :( hope he is ok..I HATE being in work when he is sick.
:cry:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
that is what my husband just said to me on the phone.. Duke is sleeping now but he did puke about an hour ago :( hope he is ok..I HATE being in work when he is sick.
:cry:
oh i know dear i feel for ya. i hope hes ok to. might have to go to the vet tomorrow if it keeps up. me and sarah will send prayers to day duke is ok.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Dont have any advice to add! Just thinking of Duke and hoping he feels better soon! Give him a big big :hug: from me

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
thanks everyone.. he did just poop ( no runs? ) and peed but my husband said he looks so uncomfortable. he lays down and then gets up and sits up:cry: vet said to give it 24 hours if no better bring him in.. :(:(:(

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
How about a regular Tums for the Tummy? saltines. anything like that to settle his tummy. Often times I just give them the same thing I would take myself.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh guys now I am in tears.. husband called he can't keep water down and is throwing up again.. called vet they want us to bring him in.. they are afraid of him dehydrating..he won't lay down he is so uncomfortable.. i will update later :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.